Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Running engine w/ fuel tank off

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
The method of lifting the front of the tank is a good one for certain applications, however to make it easier to remove the gas tank, cut the 2 gas lines in an accessible location i.e. approximately 10" (25cmm) from the end of the hoses and installed quick disconnects. Those 2 lines were always a pain in the *** to remove or install. Don't make the mistake I made of shortening the hoses to make up for the length of the quick disconnects, the extra length is helpful in getting your hands in there.
The next time you do a carb sync, add a T splitter to the vacuum lines going to the carbs and run 2 short lines off the T to the right side of the engine. Tie wrap them together to make a neat job. The lines are always accessible for syncing the carbs without removing anything. I simply insert fine thread screws in the end of the hoses to prevent a vacuum leak.
As for the carb sync tool, insert 2 small restrictors in the lines to smooth out the movement.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:54 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by D VTR RIDER
The method of lifting the front of the tank is a good one for certain applications, however to make it easier to remove the gas tank, cut the 2 gas lines in an accessible location i.e. approximately 10" (25cmm) from the end of the hoses and installed quick disconnects. Those 2 lines were always a pain in the *** to remove or install. Don't make the mistake I made of shortening the hoses to make up for the length of the quick disconnects, the extra length is helpful in getting your hands in there.
The next time you do a carb sync, add a T splitter to the vacuum lines going to the carbs and run 2 short lines off the T to the right side of the engine. Tie wrap them together to make a neat job. The lines are always accessible for syncing the carbs without removing anything. I simply insert fine thread screws in the end of the hoses to prevent a vacuum leak.
As for the carb sync tool, insert 2 small restrictors in the lines to smooth out the movement.
yeah i thank gregw for sharing this method everytime I lift the front of the tank. What a great idea. Also a good idea to cut the lines but i haven't done this myself(definitely a PIA).

I used WD40 spray tubing cut to about 2" and inserted in fish tank tubing to slow oil movement to manageable levels and after much messing around, can usually sync in minutes now. With out the restrictors, the oil moves so fast that air is introduced into the tubing creating a big PIA and delays.