General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

pull tank off, no fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 04:04 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
pull tank off, no fuel?

hey guys, just curious as to if this happens to you when you pull your tank off. i stand on the kickstand side of the bike, undo the 2 bolts holding the tank up front and the one in the rear, everytime i pull the main gas line CLOSEST to me which is the gas line to the front carb, gas will drip out when i pull it off the petcock. however , every time i pull the grey line for the rear carb, nothin comes out. just makin sure this is normal. and i did start the bike with the rear carb gas line (CIRCLED BELOW IN PIC) off and gas DID come out of the petcock..

just wanted to eliminat any other possibilities for my bike to run great and idle great, then after 4 miles of 35mph itll drop to 800rp and lose its crispness in the throttle(like a 200cc vtwin)... then after riding with ABSOLUTELY NO POWER for 10 minutes it will all of a sudden go back to normal idle(1200) , and the power and wheelies are back. . . what the heck. thought it might be not enough gas, so i put in 185/190 and on 6th ring on dyno kit, warmed up great but rode crappy in 10 minutes. (think it loads up) . well, just curious as to what you thought. tried al ring settings. guess i have to bite the bullet and go into the honda dealer. i do have that coupon for 1 free dyno, so i guess i can have em use it for that? anyways, i still have to try lowering the main jets to 175/180. havent done that. but it seems like someone is pinchin the gas line, starvin it, then letting go. more likely that its loadin up with too much fuel though. i dunno. K&N filter comin in friday, gonna put it in. see what happens.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
Couple things to check,

the petcock operating diapram should hold vacuum
(not leak vacuum after vacuum is applied)

when you push the carb slides up with your finger they slide back down slowly?

Try the k&N filter first, if the stock paper filter ever got oil on it, it will look good, but choak the engine.
I've seen this happen twice after crashes that up turned the bike.

Hope one of these fixes it, you've been thru a lot of frustation with this and still 'hung in there' thru it all.

~Jeffers
Old 04-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
Oh, and disconnect the fuel tank vent from the bottom of the tank, make sure it's clear or just leave it disconnected to troubleshoot the problem on the road.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Re: pull tank off, no fuel?

ill check it out. patience is a virtue, and its on my side with this bike . i see it as a learning experience. atleast the new K&N will give me a benchmark to go off of when adjusting needle. and yes , the slides take about 3/4 second to close or less.