General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Anyone running E15 fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Anyone running E15 fuel?

We have two gas stations in town that are offering the ethanol fuel. They have both E15 and E85. Of course, I know the 85% won't work, but my question is this: Is anyone using E15 in their SuperHawk? I'd love to support these stations (and the US) by running ethanol gas, but I'm also particular about my bike and don't want to damage anything.

I did a search but did not find anything conclusive. The only thing I found was a link to a pdf showing that 10% ethanol is ok in motorcycles. Since my local gas stations don't offer E10 my only option is E15. Anyone out there have first hand experience?
Old 07-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
Until e85/e15 is lower in price, which it isn't at the one station I know in Houston that sells it, then I won't bother. With the lower mileage per gallon you get running that fuel its not worth it regardless if its seen as helping America.

Karl
Old 07-29-2006, 03:02 PM
SuperBike

I've not heard of lower gas mileage. The stations here in Indiana that offer it are priced the same as 'regular' gas. I've heard that we have a lot of ethanol refineries here, maybe that has something to do with it. Even if it was more expensive I'd still use it (if I can, which was the original question) because I think we all need to do what we can to help sever the ties with the Middle East.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Back Marker

I've not heard of lower gas mileage. The stations here in Indiana that offer it are priced the same as 'regular' gas. I've heard that we have a lot of ethanol refineries here, maybe that has something to do with it. Even if it was more expensive I'd still use it (if I can, which was the original question) because I think we all need to do what we can to help sever the ties with the Middle East.
Today 04:58 PM
Yep running that fuel doesn't transcend into the same mpg. Here's one story about it.... http://www.wqad.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu132_5

I understand one's want not to depend on foriegn oil but in this case you have to consider the energy spent to make E85. As for oil coming out of the Middle East, the majority of what we get comes from Canada, Venezuela, Mexico, Saudi Arabia (my employer:neutral. The quantity coming from each country varies from month to month. There is no shortage of oil, there is a shortage of refining capacity. Nobody wants to build any new refineries.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Yeah, anyone who wants to open up a new refinery has to jump through the hoops of all hoops. <cough>monopolyEDIT: Oligopoly<cough>.

The slightly lower mileage some folks get, I believe, is offset by the effect that spending money on ethanol will bring. The oil companies will only build an infrastructure to handle ethanol if people are buying it. It's a matter of holding off on instant gratification kinda.

For the record, a friend of mine drives a 95 Cougar XR7 and his range has increased with the use of E10 from ~300mi to ~340mi.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:17 AM
SuperBike

I'm still wondering if anyone is running E15 in their SuperHawk. The bottom line is that's what I have available and I want to use it. I want to know if it's ok first. Maybe I'll have to be the one to step out and try it first!
Old 07-30-2006, 01:14 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Seems like this would be a question for Honda Customer Service. I'm interested to know what they say.

(866) 784-1870
Old 07-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd say you are going to be the pioneer and/or call Honda.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:20 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I can't answer your question directly either, however I have tried a 10% ethanol fuel in my injected Suzuki twin and it didn't like it. I noticed it idled a little off compared to normal. As soon as I went back to normal unleaded fuel it was back to normal idle again.

So I am giving it a miss because of this, and also because of the corrosive nature of ethanol. We export cars to Brazil where ethanol is common in fuel, and the manufacturer has to replace the standard fuel system for the exported cars due to the standard components not being able to handle the ethanol. This is Holden, part of the General Motors group, that does this.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
I think that by the end of summer everyone in USA will be running E10 since MTBE has been discontinued. I know that the Sunoco pumps say 10% Ethanol right on them.

I wouldn't have a problem trying E15, maybe 20 but no higher.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:13 AM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
So anyone have any idea what Stabil (I guess it's really just Kerosene) would do? I wonder if it would still lengthen the lifetime of the gas, or if the alcohol would have any effect on that process. Or would this mean it is a good idea to drain the bike of all it's fuel every winter? That would suck. I guess it's a good idea anyway, but still.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:34 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Cool

I've left fuel mixed with STABIL in tank of my 1989 Honda CB-1 for 19 months, the engine started and ran just like it normally would prior to the storage, well at least for a few miles before I got to the gas station and put in fresh fuel.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:46 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Fuel stabilizers are primarily alcohol. They reduce the effects of condensation on fuel. You could just as easily add your own alcohol, except that drug store brands are mixed with water.

Think Everclear.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Back Marker

Here's another article on Wikipedia commenting on the effects of running E85 on some vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85
Old 07-31-2006, 03:56 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Stabil does not smell like alcohol though....

Dunno how it works, just know that it does.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:00 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Stabil has always worked well for me and my seasonal toys and sorta smells pertroleum based...

I have run 10% ethanol in my SH (Sunoco) and haven't seen any issues - 15% isn't that much more so it should be fine.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:14 PM
Squid

JesseW.
alcohol has a problem with drying out rubber parts over time (carb diaphrams anyone?) and it also absorbs water. i know in a racing application, it take 3 times the amount of straight alcohol to make a drag car run than 114 octane fuel. also you have to buy or build a carb for it because the floats and seals won't work (floats because alcohol has a different density) and the recommended way of jetting it to take a jet, drill it out (because they don't make them that big) and watch the exhaust temp with a pyrometer during a run. if it needs to run cooler, drill out bigger, needs to be hotter, get a new jet to drill.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Stabil does not smell like alcohol though....

Dunno how it works, just know that it does.
Checked the MSDS on Stabil and it is 90% napthalene and 10% "proprietary". I suspect the proprietary is some sort of cylinder lube.
Old 08-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Squid

98 checkered ghost is on a distinguished road
i ran e-15 in mine cuz it was the only thing available in that part of south dakota on a trip to sturgis 2 yrs ago. i was conceerne buti had no probs with it