Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Lithium Battery Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:23 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Lithium Battery Help

Doe's anyone know if you can jump start a bike with Lithium battery on it??? Not my Hawk, it's a big thumper.

Trying on second gear is not an option, no down hills to try that, not to mention you really have to jump on it to get the tire actually not slide, it's a 650 single cylinder.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:55 PM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
If the cells are empty, you will probably destroy them by using jump start.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:04 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Try 3rd gear - or fit a working battery...
Old 10-18-2015, 02:46 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wicky
Try 3rd gear - or fit a working battery...
I got the battery out anyway, will use a regular cell battery, I think the charging system probably killed it, Lithium batteries don't like the OEM non MOSFET R/R. My mistake.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:17 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
I got the battery out anyway, will use a regular cell battery, I think the charging system probably killed it, Lithium batteries don't like the OEM non MOSFET R/R. My mistake.
Stock or upgraded charging system should be fine if it's output is below the total capacity of the Li Po cells. Which is 16.8 or so with 4 cells in series. Is this a perfect set up for LiPo cells? No. If you don't drain the battery (run the cells below their point of no return). Will it work for years? Yes.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:51 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by xeris
Stock or upgraded charging system should be fine if it's output is below the total capacity of the Li Po cells. Which is 16.8 or so with 4 cells in series. Is this a perfect set up for LiPo cells? No. If you don't drain the battery (run the cells below their point of no return). Will it work for years? Yes.
It's the 6 pack of the A123, I'll have to try charging it once I get the right charger and see if I can recover it, it's not drained completely, but close, I tried cranking the bike today again and it did rotate couple times before it was out, but was not enough to get it going.
Again. it's not the VTR, on the VTR the battery is strong.

Last edited by NHSH; 10-20-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:46 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NHSH
It's the 6 pack of the A123, I'll have to try charging it once I get the right charger and see if I can recover it, it's not drained completely, but close, I tried cranking the bike today again and it did rotate couple times before it was out, but was not enough to get it going.
Again. it's not the VTR, on the VTR the battery is strong.
You might be able to use a old style battery charger, aka dumb charger. The important factor is what the charger puts out in amps and what is the max charge the cells can take in amps. So long as you don't exceed the charge rate you'll be good, more or less. With that said, I would be very careful, don't leave it unattended for long periods and check the voltage of the pack during the charge period.
If you have drained any of the cells in the pack below min voltage there will be dead cells. If you can open the pack, you can test the voltage on the individual cells to see if any have died.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:55 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by xeris
You might be able to use a old style battery charger, aka dumb charger. The important factor is what the charger puts out in amps and what is the max charge the cells can take in amps. So long as you don't exceed the charge rate you'll be good, more or less. With that said, I would be very careful, don't leave it unattended for long periods and check the voltage of the pack during the charge period.
If you have drained any of the cells in the pack below min voltage there will be dead cells. If you can open the pack, you can test the voltage on the individual cells to see if any have died.
I will try that, thank you
Old 11-12-2015, 04:34 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Reviving a Lithoum battery is more than possible... Hit it with a 5A charge current for a few minutes, and then let it rest, repeat a few times over, but keep track of the total time... Don't exceed the Ah rating of the battery...

If the cells puff up, throw it away... If not, drain a bit, and recharge with a "dumb" charger to about half full, and it's ready for use again...

I ahve done that more than once... Works like a charm... I have one pack that's on about the tenth time or so of being revived after about two weeks of sitting drained, simply because I'm a dumb-***... It's still working just as well as when it was new...