SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Lithium Battery Help (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/lithium-battery-help-33580/)

NHSH 10-17-2015 08:23 AM

Lithium Battery Help

Doe's anyone know if you can jump start a bike with Lithium battery on it??? Not my Hawk, it's a big thumper.

Trying on second gear is not an option, no down hills to try that, not to mention you really have to jump on it to get the tire actually not slide, it's a 650 single cylinder.

Stephan 10-17-2015 01:55 PM

If the cells are empty, you will probably destroy them by using jump start.

Wicky 10-18-2015 06:04 AM

Try 3rd gear - or fit a working battery...

NHSH 10-18-2015 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 391330)
Try 3rd gear - or fit a working battery...

I got the battery out anyway, will use a regular cell battery, I think the charging system probably killed it, Lithium batteries don't like the OEM non MOSFET R/R. My mistake.

xeris 10-20-2015 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 391332)
I got the battery out anyway, will use a regular cell battery, I think the charging system probably killed it, Lithium batteries don't like the OEM non MOSFET R/R. My mistake.

Stock or upgraded charging system should be fine if it's output is below the total capacity of the Li Po cells. Which is 16.8 or so with 4 cells in series. Is this a perfect set up for LiPo cells? No. If you don't drain the battery (run the cells below their point of no return). Will it work for years? Yes.

NHSH 10-20-2015 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 391361)
Stock or upgraded charging system should be fine if it's output is below the total capacity of the Li Po cells. Which is 16.8 or so with 4 cells in series. Is this a perfect set up for LiPo cells? No. If you don't drain the battery (run the cells below their point of no return). Will it work for years? Yes.

It's the 6 pack of the A123, I'll have to try charging it once I get the right charger and see if I can recover it, it's not drained completely, but close, I tried cranking the bike today again and it did rotate couple times before it was out, but was not enough to get it going.
Again. it's not the VTR, on the VTR the battery is strong.

xeris 10-20-2015 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 391378)
It's the 6 pack of the A123, I'll have to try charging it once I get the right charger and see if I can recover it, it's not drained completely, but close, I tried cranking the bike today again and it did rotate couple times before it was out, but was not enough to get it going.
Again. it's not the VTR, on the VTR the battery is strong.

You might be able to use a old style battery charger, aka dumb charger. The important factor is what the charger puts out in amps and what is the max charge the cells can take in amps. So long as you don't exceed the charge rate you'll be good, more or less. With that said, I would be very careful, don't leave it unattended for long periods and check the voltage of the pack during the charge period.
If you have drained any of the cells in the pack below min voltage there will be dead cells. If you can open the pack, you can test the voltage on the individual cells to see if any have died.

NHSH 10-20-2015 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 391384)
You might be able to use a old style battery charger, aka dumb charger. The important factor is what the charger puts out in amps and what is the max charge the cells can take in amps. So long as you don't exceed the charge rate you'll be good, more or less. With that said, I would be very careful, don't leave it unattended for long periods and check the voltage of the pack during the charge period.
If you have drained any of the cells in the pack below min voltage there will be dead cells. If you can open the pack, you can test the voltage on the individual cells to see if any have died.

I will try that, thank you

Tweety 11-12-2015 04:34 AM

Reviving a Lithoum battery is more than possible... Hit it with a 5A charge current for a few minutes, and then let it rest, repeat a few times over, but keep track of the total time... Don't exceed the Ah rating of the battery...

If the cells puff up, throw it away... If not, drain a bit, and recharge with a "dumb" charger to about half full, and it's ready for use again...

I ahve done that more than once... Works like a charm... I have one pack that's on about the tenth time or so of being revived after about two weeks of sitting drained, simply because I'm a dumb-ass... It's still working just as well as when it was new...