Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Lithium back up battery arrived

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:43 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Lithium back up battery arrived

So I got my battery from the Netherlands (off ebay). It was $45 to my door. Looks awesome. I plan to mount it under the seat as a never get stuck with a dead battery plan.

It is super compact & light & I plan to get another one for my racebikes. Figure I can swap it to whichever bike I am racing and save a ton of weight.

Now I just have to figure out how often & how to charge it. It seems to have 13.7 volts as it sits.
Attached Thumbnails Lithium back up battery arrived-lithium-joey-012.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 08:04 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Wow, $45 shipped from Netherlands is impressive.

For occasional charging could you just make a jumper to run it parallel with the main battery? Then it would charge on your ride, just have to remember to unplug it when you get to work.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
Wow, $45 shipped from Netherlands is impressive.

For occasional charging could you just make a jumper to run it parallel with the main battery? Then it would charge on your ride, just have to remember to unplug it when you get to work.
Just ordered one for myself ... will have a look at the cells when it gets here. Planning on using it as a primary battery on the 990 SM
Old 10-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Squid

macdee is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So I got my battery from the Netherlands (off ebay). It was $45 to my door. Looks awesome. I plan to mount it under the seat as a never get stuck with a dead battery plan.

It is super compact & light & I plan to get another one for my racebikes. Figure I can swap it to whichever bike I am racing and save a ton of weight.

Now I just have to figure out how often & how to charge it. It seems to have 13.7 volts as it sits.
hi joe would you have a link for this battery
thanks
Old 10-28-2014, 03:50 PM
MotoGP

Here is the link bruthaman 8 Cell A123 18650 Motorcycle Start Battery 13 2V2 2AH 12V New A123 Battery Pack | eBay

Just ordered a second one for racing.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:10 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Crap that's cheap. I'd do what 98VTRrider suggested- wire it in every couple of months to charge it. I can vouch that if they are healthy cells they will sit for a long time and hold charge.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:16 PM
Squid

macdee is on a distinguished road
Here is the link bruthaman 8 Cell A123 18650 Motorcycle Start Battery 13 2V2 2AH 12V New A123 Battery Pack | eBay

Just ordered a second one for racing.
thanks joe
just might have to get one of those
Old 10-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
Wire it in parallel with a relay and an override switch so when the bike is running its charging and when you turn the bike off it disconnects the connection the override switch will allow jump starts.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:01 PM
MotoGP

sj, I was actually thinking of putting a battery disconnect switch on the backup battery for now. This way can turn it on when I need it.

The question is, if the Li battery is only used in emergencies, how often do I really need to charge it? I was under the belief that they will sit a long time without maintinence.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:21 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
sj, I was actually thinking of putting a battery disconnect switch on the backup battery for now. This way can turn it on when I need it.

The question is, if the Li battery is only used in emergencies, how often do I really need to charge it? I was under the belief that they will sit a long time without maintinence.
Yeah I think every other month or so would be on the safe side. I have a pack that's 1 year old still holding a charge... and I didn't treat that pack well at all either. But it was also stored in a cool dry place. It will be interesting to see how they do romping through pothole land in sub-freezing temps... but I'm a huge fan of the LiFePO technology and would trust it myself.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:43 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Lithium battery are horrible in cold weather
because when cold it just wil not conduct as warm so starting up will take up to 4 try's and looking quite stupid when it doesnt start then you scare the **** out of those who are watching(or not) with a huge backfire
i take it out everynight..... made easy by R/C gold connectors and velcrostrip
Old 11-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RoadManiac
Lithium battery are horrible in cold weather
because when cold it just wil not conduct as warm so starting up will take up to 4 try's and looking quite stupid when it doesnt start then you scare the **** out of those who are watching(or not) with a huge backfire
i take it out everynight..... made easy by R/C gold connectors and velcrostrip
No need to go through that, just turn on the power and headlight for a min or so.. same thing Helo pilots do in cold weather .. pull some juice for a min and then start.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Uggg, still waiting on mine, going on 4 weeks now....
Old 11-08-2014, 06:00 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
No need to go through that, just turn on the power and headlight for a min or so.. same thing Helo pilots do in cold weather .. pull some juice for a min and then start.
thanks for the tip
Old 11-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Squid

carkifelek is on a distinguished road
joe, $45 for a lithium battery, that too from Netherlands, I must say I’m surprised. I read your query about how to charge it, please do not connect it in parallel with the main battery. You can use only one battery at a time. Since your current battery and this one will have a voltage difference, they won’t be able to provide the required current, (up to 30A) at the time when engine is being started. You’ll have to charge the battery outside to be safe.

circuit board fabrication

Last edited by carkifelek; 12-05-2019 at 01:46 PM.