Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Done with R/R conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Squid

Rock is on a distinguished road
[quote=Hawkrider;188655]Or better yet get the upgraded stock Honda one for $70-something on ebay. Just got mine from a place called Skyline Parts. Look up part #31600-MV4-010 on ebay.

The part arrived witin a couple of days,bolted right in and puts 14.20 volts to the battery, as compared to 13.25 to the stocker. all it has to do now is last ten years, like OEM, and it will be well worth the effort. I will post on this @ that time, or if this one fails, I will cry out loud.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Trouble Makers Union 510
Squid

Roundboy is on a distinguished road
Shoot I'm with spending the extra $30 from Rick's Electric...mine is still going strong....

http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics....FIb25WVFIxMDAw <---that links using the year 2001, honda, VtrSuperhawk...start the part search from the start for your specific year...

-RB
Old 11-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Rock
The part arrived witin a couple of days,bolted right in and puts 14.20 volts to the battery, as compared to 13.25 to the stocker. all it has to do now is last ten years, like OEM, and it will be well worth the effort. I will post on this @ that time, or if this one fails, I will cry out loud.
Man, if this forum is around as long as your second regulator I'll be really ****** surprised. In the time span that I had my first one the forum went from SportTwin email list, to Micapeak email list, to ZikZak email list, to RunLevelZero email list, to nothing, and then to this forum! I just hope we've settled down a bit now.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Squid

Rock is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Man, if this forum is around as long as your second regulator I'll be really ****** surprised. In the time span that I had my first one the forum went from SportTwin email list, to Micapeak email list, to ZikZak email list, to RunLevelZero email list, to nothing, and then to this forum! I just hope we've settled down a bit now.
As long as I dont "loop" mine, I will run it until I can no longer see clearly,
so Happy Thanksgiving 2018,
Old 12-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Squid

LC4CARL is on a distinguished road
Installed an Electo-Sport unit this evening. 14 volts. I'm good.

Any benefit to drilling cooling holes in the side cover? There's an "inlet" gap at the bottom and an "outlet" gap at the tail light. Is heat a contributing factor to these units failing?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:55 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LC4CARL
Is heat a contributing factor to these units failing?

Heat always contributes to electrical parts failing!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I replaced mine with an '06 R6 R/R and it had 6 pins. I just skipped the middle plug, when sat upright, and mine works fine. Been installed over 6 months and works great.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
In fact I looked at the wiring schematic for the R6 and it only had 5 wires going to the R/R even though the R/R had 6 pins.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Heat always contributes to electrical parts failing!

OK. But does anybody ventilate their side panels, or is that unnecessary?
Old 12-02-2008, 02:32 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I don't think it's necessary with the heat sink units, but it would probably help on the stock unit.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
These units generate a LOT of amps,so heat is always a problem with the earlier Honda R/Rs. Just upgrade to the later Honda R/R with heat sink (fins) or buy a good aftermarket unit. I like Electro Sport, quality products/American company. Do that and ventilation is not necessary.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
OK. But does anybody ventilate their side panels, or is that unnecessary?
I drilled vent holes in the lower portion of the tail cowl and made a reverse NACA duct over it to draw out heat, and installed a custom intake snorkel above the rear brake fluid resevoir that focuses on the VR/R. I also cleaned and applied heat sink paste between the VR/R and frame and a CPU heat sink and the outside face of the original 98 OE unfinned VR/R. The heat sink has a 12V CPU 50mm X 50mm fan integrated that is powered off the tailight circuit. So far in 50k miles its been a champ but a have a spare non-finned VR/R I carry on long trips and a spare plug with crimp connectors ready to splice in. My onboard volt meter keeps an eye on things. I finally replaced the original 98 battery late this season but the old one still takes a charge and holds +12.8v.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:21 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by steve.g
I like Electro Sport, quality products/American company.
Are the units actually made in the US? If so maybe I'll buy one just because!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Are the units actually made in the US? If so maybe I'll buy one just because!
http://www.electrosport.com/about-us/

I don't know where the products are actually made.I do know that I have purchased various components from them and found the quality/service to be first class and ALL their products carry a one year warranty.
I really like the OEM style connector kits they sell.You can find just about anything electrical for your bike.Check 'em out...Good resource.

Last edited by steve.g; 12-03-2008 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I drilled vent holes in the lower portion of the tail cowl and made a reverse NACA duct over it to draw out heat, and installed a custom intake snorkel above the rear brake fluid resevoir that focuses on the VR/R. I also cleaned and applied heat sink paste between the VR/R and frame and a CPU heat sink and the outside face of the original 98 OE unfinned VR/R. The heat sink has a 12V CPU 50mm X 50mm fan integrated that is powered off the tailight circuit. So far in 50k miles its been a champ but a have a spare non-finned VR/R I carry on long trips and a spare plug with crimp connectors ready to splice in. My onboard volt meter keeps an eye on things. I finally replaced the original 98 battery late this season but the old one still takes a charge and holds +12.8v.

Wow! Got pic's? I'd like to see that.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 AM
SuperBike

E

Originally Posted by steve.g
http://www.electrosport.com/about-us/

I don't know where the products are actually made.I do know that I have purchased various components from them and found the quality/service to be first class and ALL their products carry a one year warranty.
I really like the OEM style connector kits they sell.You can find just about anything electrical for your bike.Check 'em out...Good resource.
Tweety, what is your opinion of this kit?
http://www.electrosport.com/products...detail-501.php
Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 AM
SuperBike

Wow! Got pic's? I'd like to see that.
Here ya go
Attached Thumbnails Done with R/R conversion!-vtr-seat-cowl-vr-r-naca-duct-3-600-x-800.jpg   Done with R/R conversion!-vtr-seat-cowl-vr-r-naca-duct-2-600-x-800.jpg   Done with R/R conversion!-vtr-vrr-air-scoop-1-800-x-600.jpg  
Old 12-04-2008, 06:07 PM
SuperBike

Installed an Electo-Sport unit this evening. 14 volts. I'm good.

Any benefit to drilling cooling holes in the side cover? There's an "inlet" gap at the bottom and an "outlet" gap at the tail light. Is heat a contributing factor to these units failing?

I forget how sharp the VTR is without all the mods hanging off mine. I think I like your red accented wheels. Is that paint or powder coated red, and chrome or just polished rims. If polished, is it clear coated and is it easy to keep clean?

Last edited by skokievtr; 12-04-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Tweety, what is your opinion of this kit?
http://www.electrosport.com/products...detail-501.php
Hey... I have an opinion... as always...

I still prefer a projector... That makes sure all the light goes where it's supposed... Buut... If you are going to go for a bulb in your old reflector, a bulb with a solenoid swapping hi/lo like that is probably the best choice...

Altough you will have one hell of a time fitting that bulb in to the stock light... That sticks out way more than the stock connector... So it might interfere with the upper cowl bracket...

Belive me, there isn't much room... That was the hardest part of my retrofit...
Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I had a couple of electrosport regs die on me in less than a year but I don't know if it was just me or a product issue
Old 12-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Squid

Thanks for posting the pic's Skokie. Nice bit of work there.

The wheels came to me like that. They're painted and polished.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't go as far as making holes in the fender, but i got mine with R/R replaced. I read about people putting cpu fans on them and since i'm **** about heat i decided to put one on even though my R/R has fins.
Well i noticed that my hawk was idling rough, jumping about 400 to 500 rpms up and down, i though maybe air or fuel or something, decided to take care of it later. I put the fan on w/o ever thinking about the RPM issue. first thing i notice, even after a long run, the rpms jump only about 100 while in idle.
Just food for thought.....
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 AM
Squid

blackvtr is on a distinguished road
i did the r/r swap went to the local dealership (brockton cycle center) and bought a reg. for an 2001 r1 ($78), worked great! i went all last year and a couple of times this year, about 7000 miles, no problems. p.s. the same dealer wanted $129.99 for the replacement honda one. seems to me that the better regulator should be more money, but don't tell them......