General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Has anyone ever done an HID retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Has anyone ever done an HID retrofit?

Well, seeing as how I might be the owner of a Superhawk soon, I was wondering if anyone on the boards has completed an HID retrofit.

I'm an avid fan of lighting, and i've done a few retrofits in the past. Rx330 projectors on my Prelude, 2004 GSX-R (bulb with adapter plate), and I have two more on the list, a 1999 Diamante and a 2004 600rr.

The first thing I plan to do when I get the bike is a retrofit. Stock motorcycle lighting isn't as good as it should be, and I'm planning to change that. I'll do a write up with pictures and whatnot after I get all the materials in, but I was just putting the topic out there to see if it's been done.

BTW, i'm going to stuff Hybrid FX35/45 projectors in there. FX projectors with a spaced out TSX clearlens, it goes from this:

Name:  experiment1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  53.6 KB

To this:

The top projector is the Hybrid FX, bottom projector is an s2000 as comparison. It's sexual chocolate.

So, how many of you would like to have that kind of lighting on your bike?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I would if the prce were very right. It's no where near the top of my MOD list for the SH, orat the top of a combined list for all my toys. I just do not ride at night at a speed that requiers more better lighting.. Would it help?? Yes need no..My Mustang Needs HID's My Off road bikes and race truck use and NEED HID lighting. For the SH it would just be another useful, yet mostly cosmetic MOD.

but please, lead the way, show us what you got. i'm always on the look out for parts for this and that project. but I have to know what parts I'mlooking for first. So lead on.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Superstock

Well, it can be said and done for a fraction of what HID's cost for a car from the factory. BMW charges something like $1,000 for HIDS.

Projectors cost anywhere from $40-$150 a piece, and there are both single and bi-xenon. Bi-xenon meaning you get low beam AND high beam HID. Bi-x would be the best choice for a superhawk, seeing how it utilizes a single dual-filament bulb.
Assuming you used a Bi-xenon projector from an Acura TL (one of the best ones), A single one will run you ~$100. Add in an OEM ballast, ~$75ish, and a bulb, ~$25, then add in various things (nuts, screws, threaded rod, bezel) and you're looking at say $225 for an OEM retrofit (assuming you did the work yourself).

Personally, I don't think it's too bad considering what you get out of it.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:10 AM
Back Marker

Darkone22 is on a distinguished road
Yeah that would be nice to have in the sh i ride a lot to work at nights. Get some pic's and a list of what it takes and what go's in to it.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
+1 yes.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I threw in an H4 HID bulb and ballast into my Superhawk. The lighting was 100 times better than the stock unit, even if the light pattern was not as focused.

Do your pictures show the actual beam from a Superhawk? Your beam pattern looks much better than mine ever did.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Superstock

The beam is from a projector unit. Plug and play HID kits don't utilize the stock focal point of the H4 bulb, so you'll get glare all over. For cars, it's a definite no-no, but it's a toss up for bikes. Some people say you want the glare to have other drivers notice you, but in most kit cases the lighting on the road is complete crap. Personally, I think the projector would be better, because when you're riding on the road the extreme change from light to dark flickers in people's rearview mirrors, grabbing their attention.

The output you see above is basically what you'll have when the projector is retrofitted into the housing.

Anyway, i'm about to go check out the bike right now, wish me luck guys!
Old 03-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
oo..oo.. +1.. count me in..
Old 03-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Superstock

Yaay, I went to check out the bike today. Put a downpayment on it already, i'm picking it up in a week or two. Expect this thread to develop into a writeup very soon!