Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

1/2 done paint

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Back Marker

saxman is on a distinguished road
1/2 done paint

Here's a some pics of mine from start to where it stands this morning. Still have flames and other graphics to paint on, along with SuperHawk down the fairing and 996 on the cowl, both in Harliquin paint....changes colors. Some other misc. highlights here and there on fenders and fairings...

Attachment 2866

Attachment 2867

Attachment 2868

Attachment 2869

Attachment 2870
Old 04-01-2007, 02:26 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Looks real nice, great work so far.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Superstock

johnnyhonda is on a distinguished road
How much is this paint job costing you if you don't mind me asking? where are you doing it? Please tell me a little bit about the process of what you are doing here?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:53 PM
SuperBike

ali_squidz is on a distinguished road
Mine next???? Please??
Old 04-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Back Marker

Well, I'll have about $800-900 in materials (primer, paint, sealers, clears, flake additives, etc.). My brother-in-law does this on the side, he has had 2 vans featured in Truckin' Magazine, and a Barracuda in Car Craft. One of the vans won 2nd out of around 3000 in a competition out west years ago. He has also done many "cough" Harley's, and other bikes, cars, trucks, pulling tractors, even did a give-away car (Camaro I think) for Summit racing. I have done some painting myself, but don't have his talent. It's a gift, and these pics don't do it ANY justice.
It is House Of Kolor paint, custom mix of red and tangerine basecoat. Long process to get it to this point. 3 previous owners laid her down, not bad, but messed up the plastic as you can see in the first pic.
The flames will fade from silver/ yellow/ orange/ red/ blue on front of fairing and tank. Going to also put a few purple flakes in the final clear over everything, along with gold pearl. There will be "panels" and other effects done on the fairings and fenders. Will have SuperHawk running in stacked letters down the front part of each fairing and 996 on seat cowl in Harliquin paint, just not sure what colors we are going to put in it yet to change between. Depending on where you look at it and where the light source is, it will appear to change colors in front of your eyes as you move around it.
I will post more pis when it's done. He told me this afternoon it should be ready in 2-3 weeks. I polished the frame and swingarm, not sure what I'm doing with the wheels yet, either chrome them or polish outer lips and paint inner to match bike. Hope that is what you wanted, if not, let me know specifics of what you want to know.....of course, there are "trade secrets" I swore not to tell about........but I will try to help.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Back Marker

Thanx drew_c14
ali_squidz....he said this may be his last project, but knowing him...I doubt it!
Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Back Marker

Got the flames taped off today.....making headway, even tho it's slow.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Back Marker

SNGPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Flames are good!!
Old 04-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
ooooo... daddy like
Old 04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Back Marker

Another quick update....still going slow, but another pic to show......the spots are water spots form wet sanding....but here's the flames on the tank, minus the highlight pinstripe and drop shadow.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Dude, that's amazing.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
ALL HAIL, SAXMAN...........................Great job.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Superstock

MUHerdFan is on a distinguished road
That's an awesome paint job. I'm looking forward to seeing you post pics of the whole bike. I have a special appreciation for nice paint jobs since my previous hobby was antique cars, although my father and I only did original restorations. Your paint job is sick!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Back Marker

Thanks guys......all those late nights are finally starting to pay off! Should be ready to reassemble in about 2 weeks. Still have pinstriping and airbrush work to do. Put the Harliquin (color change) paint on last night. Finished polishing frame and wheels 2 nights ago, also made some one-off muffler brackets, camera mount for tank, guards for radiator, intake duct guards, a bunch of LED lighting and strobe effects, and a few other misc parts I made at work. Will post some pics when she's done. Thanks for the help/ support from everyone who answered some of my questions also!
Old 04-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Superstock

SH1000MA is on a distinguished road
that looks amazing, i would like to repaint my bike also.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Back Marker

Well, paint will be done in one week, but I am headed to Detroit for training, so will be about 2 weeks before I can put it back together. Here are a couple more pics, last ones 'til it's done. Shows muffler hangers I made, along with gas cap, just final buff needed on them. Also seat cowl showing the Harliquin paint. All from same side, just different angles to show how it changes. Has Harliquin on fairing (SuperHawk) and fenders (designs) also. There is no clearcoat on yet, so it's not very shiny.
I'll post pics when back together....see y'all in a couple weeks!
Old 05-22-2007, 09:15 AM
Back Marker

Damn this has taken a lot longer than expected, but finally got all the color on two nights ago. Here are a couple pics of parts. Will buff them this weekend and then start putting her back together next week......can't wait! I post her when she's all done in the sunlight!
Old 05-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Saxman,

I don't care how long it has taken, that paint job is Da Bomb, as they say. Truly worth the time you're spending on it. When you're done and it's all back together send me some high res pics and I'd like to add your bike to my website if you don't mind.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Back Marker

Thanks a lot..........yea, it's a love hate thing.......it's worth the wait, but it's been really hard! I will send some pics when she's together, hopefully next week sometime. Thanks for the support from you and all the members on here, it's been a big help!
Have a great trip to the gap........I'll be there next year if it happens again.