Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Are you confident your SH's charging system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:48 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Are you confident your SH's charging system?

Just wondering cause I've been having blinker delay, and I think the last time I rode for a distance with my Widder on (just the vest), my battery was pretty much dead the next day.

Do you often run your bike with accessories like heated gear? Any problems?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 04:55 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
100%...

After replacing the R/R, stator and battery to brand new items after a couple of failures and then painstakingly rebuilt the wireing harness and all connectors (found three points of corrosion with dubiuos contact as a result)..

So yes... Now it works like it's supposed to...

However the available power isn't that much... Powered vest might be close to the limit...

Try reducing the draw from the rest of the system, diode blinkers and a load independant relay (using resistors doesn't reduce draw...) and diode rear light should free up some...

Also dedicated cables and a relay for the headlight frees up some as the stock wiring eats power, converting it to heat (resistance)... Altough some of that gain is "lost" in terms of more light... But that isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-20-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
What do you mean "blinker delay"? The time it takes for it to start after you hit the switch? or time between blinks?

I have a long delay between when I hit the switch to when it starts blinking.. only when it's cold outside.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:31 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
By delay I mean that the blinker takes sometimes over 10 seconds to start blinking. This delay seems to change with temp, as noted above, getting longer when it's cold.

I checked the switch connections and the connections for the rear blinkers and everything looked good as new. I had a shop check the stator's output at the battery and it appeared fine. I may just plop down the $33 for a new relay to see if that makes a difference. Does anyone know if this could be the culprit?

Originally Posted by Cleveland
What do you mean "blinker delay"? The time it takes for it to start after you hit the switch? or time between blinks?

I have a long delay between when I hit the switch to when it starts blinking.. only when it's cold outside.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Hey, Malmoe, Sweden! I have friend (well, we're not in touch for some years now) who is from, and I believe is now living in Malmoe. Are you riding this time of year? Dark and cold, no?

\
Originally Posted by Tweety
100%...

After replacing the R/R, stator and battery to brand new items after a couple of failures and then painstakingly rebuilt the wireing harness and all connectors (found three points of corrosion with dubiuos contact as a result)..

So yes... Now it works like it's supposed to...

However the available power isn't that much... Powered vest might be close to the limit...

Try reducing the draw from the rest of the system, diode blinkers and a load independant relay (using resistors doesn't reduce draw...) and diode rear light should free up some...

Also dedicated cables and a relay for the headlight frees up some as the stock wiring eats power, converting it to heat (resistance)... Altough some of that gain is "lost" in terms of more light... But that isn't a bad thing as far as I'm concerned...
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yeah I'm still riding... to work... I usualy end my season when the nasty white stuff starts falling (they are claiming that will happen in a week or two...) or when the roads ice over... Sticky tires have a tendacy to slip on ice...

But about now I cause a lot of stares out on the roads... not to many nutty enough to ride a bike in this weather...

Another thing to check of your list would be to disasemble the switch on the left handlebar... Honda used a grease in there that with age and accumulated dust turns into glue... Clean all the parts with a solvent and then put a large blob of vaseline in there and re-assemble... That should make a great deal of difference... Mine had obviously not been cleaned since 97... it was like a well chewed gum in consistance...
Old 11-20-2008, 11:53 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I have blinker delay now in cold weather, but only after I removed my front signals.

Before it was fine. I don't understand why because the flasher when warm blinks even if the light is burned out, so it's not going off current like the older systems.

My R/R is new and my battery is recent, so I doubt its the charging system. Are you guys running LED signals by chance?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Squid

blackvtr is on a distinguished road
mine did that too, it also happened when i had charging system problems, so it's hard to tell which caused it.... i replaced the t/s flasher and voltage regulator at the same time and then suddenly ALIVE. thought mine was all the time. yours is only when cold, probably the flasher....