Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

california smog equip.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
california smog equip.

hello to all. by any chance has somebody removed the evap system, or know how to. i have recently just purchased it and the previous owner half as#ed the disconnecting of the pair system & evap system. i have read on how to disconnect the pair system and have accomplished that. any clue on the rest would be great the charcol can on the front is ugly.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I've got a writeup on my website. It's pretty old and doesn't have any pics, but it you have a clue...um, I mean if you're mechanically inclined then it'll get you though. I have PAIR removal instructions too. I don't have a CA bike so I've never done it personally. Can't be that hard.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
smog.

i wanted to thank you very much for your help this is my first bike still trying to learn my way around them.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
if you get stuck, let me know as I have a Ca bike and have removed the system a long while back
Old 02-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Beside the weight saving, and a cleaner engine area, I can't see any other benefit in removing the PAIR system. Am I wrong?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Squid

JesseW.
removing or disableing it keeps it from backfiring on deacceleration. fixed mine anyway.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
..and less heat in the exhaust.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
SMOG

what year bike do you have?...early california models have less smog crap...later models..gets a bit more interesting?
You wil need a manual...can be download from this site....go read my little rant on this?...do a search..
I had to block off no less than "7" lines?....go figure....afterwards my bike ran great..2005 model...actually used a little more gas than before...but once I had removed all the smog, I never had any of the normal superhawk problems...backfiring...sudden stalls...or cutting out at the lights....also..no more bike stopping after gassing her up....
On the attached picture..is the carbon cannister and bracket...pair valves and hoses...also the round valve which is between the two pair valve covers...now there are two more valves like this on later model superhawks...one is between the carbs...the other is behind the right hand radiator...this can be pulled off without removing radiator..give it a good hard yank...many people just remove the large cannister and think that is it?....there is a lot more to it than that!...good luck.....to do the job right....you will need a bunch of hose caps some silcone...zip ties...and a few screws.....remove gas tank...airbox....and let the fun begin?
Attached Thumbnails california smog equip.-100_2870.jpg  
Old 02-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
pair valve cover

also helps if you have some of these
Attached Thumbnails california smog equip.-100_3060.jpg