Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

APE CCT Install - help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:10 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I was able to get to it without removing the hose.. I think I just jammed the wrench under it, but I don't recall. It was a PITA I remember though.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Squid

dannyz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
You'll empty to cooling system..... So first drain the system (if the coolant is fairly fresh and you want to reuse it) into a clean container, or it can also be a good excuse to change the coolant. Remove the hose that is in the way. Tighten the lock-nut and then reinstall everything. Refill the cooling system and you're good to go.
Hawk, you really want to turn me into mechanic, right?

Huh, I'm done, can't believe! As some say: if I did it, everyone can!

So, this last step was also completed with Lazn's help: yup, "jammed" is the word! Jammed that 14mm wrench underneth the hose, than jammed the hose, and then jammed the 16mm wrench over the top of the hose to hold the big nut, turned as much as it went (not much really) and then repeated this whole jammin' session until the nut was tight. As Calitoz would say: PATIENCE is the keyword.

Special thanks to Calitoz for that mother of all CCT threads https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=11275 , to Lazn for his PDF instructions (I actually followed his version, which is basically the same, only requires to open the rear valve cover - which is good as it gives better feeling about chain tension, and ensures that marks on the crank are properly aligned), and to all who answered my plea for help - whether with instructions, or just for entertainment.

OK, so another VTR is saved from selfdestruction. Now, on to the final test ride... Until another wrenching adventure, stay well
Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dannyz
Hawk, you really want to turn me into mechanic, right?
Well you did ask what would happen if you removed the hose.....
Old 07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Squid

Hawk, you're right, I asked, and your answer was right on money - and I truly appreciate it... but I was hoping not to get sucked into another "project". Would be too much for this weekend garage warior
Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Hawk, you're right, I asked, and your answer was right on money - and I truly appreciate it... but I was hoping not to get sucked into another "project". Would be too much for this weekend garage warior
No worries.....
Old 07-28-2010, 02:26 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... You can't blame us for trying to turn you into a mechanic right?

Sooner or later we will get you... Muhahaha...
Old 07-28-2010, 03:02 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
BTW Crashrat, yeah... For some reason I now have 4 more or less complete VTR engines in my workshop (not counting the one in my bike)... One of them with a CCT failure, one being rebuilt with cams/pistons/the works, and two of them I bought mostly by accident when people decided to go off-roading with their VTR's... I think my VTR parts are procreating... I also have various other parts...

Good to know as I will rebuilding my motor sometime in the future may need parts / advice LOL thanks in advance
Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Tweety
... Sooner or later we will get you... Muhahaha...
Yeah, I can already see that coming... specially since I finished this project, and my VTR actually works just fine
Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Yeah, I can already see that coming... specially since I finished this project, and my VTR actually works just fine
The first step towards OCMD.......
Old 09-04-2010, 02:00 AM
gaz
Squid

gaz is on a distinguished road
Just fitted manuals ccts on mine. Sounds about the same when cold, maybe a little more whirring than ticking. When I got it to temperature the 2500-3000 flapping-ticking noise from the front tensioner came back. Do you thing I should tighten it a little or I got nothing to worry about now?
Old 09-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Back Marker

slabm7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gaz
Just fitted manuals ccts on mine. Sounds about the same when cold, maybe a little more whirring than ticking. When I got it to temperature the 2500-3000 flapping-ticking noise from the front tensioner came back. Do you thing I should tighten it a little or I got nothing to worry about now?
Are your rpms any higher now that you have installed the APE CCT's? Mine run about 200-300rpm higher so I know my chains are loose but the bike makes no sounds and runs great. I would try tightening the front one 1/4 turn then ride a bit and if the ticking still exists then try another 1/4 turn and see if it goes away. But if the bike runs fine I wouldn't get to concerned about it.