Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

APE cct install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Squid

SloBlue is on a distinguished road
APE cct install question

I put in my APE cct's today after carefully reading the accumulated wisdom of this site, in particular, calitoz step by step instructions. Everything went smoothly, everything is back together with no extra parts, stripped bolts or such.

After install, it started and ran fine, no issues. I then went for a ride of about 8 miles. Now, on start-up, I can hear a quick noise that sounds like a table sliding on a floor. It doesn't even last a second, then it's gone. I can't hear any timing chain clatter and it runs normally.

I found the "adjustment" portion of the instructions a bit vague. I tightened the cct's to about finger tight +/- an eighth of a turn. My guess would be the noise I'm hearing is from over tightening the cct's, but that's just my guess.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Last edited by SloBlue; 03-20-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Was the engine hot when you set the tension?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Squid

Stone cold engine.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by SloBlue
Stone cold engine.
Well that's the problem, they need to be set when the engine is at operational temp.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Squid

Thanks for the help. I must have missed that somewhere.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
I had a drag and wierd howling on mine after install. Got it adjusted after some riding and perfect since.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:58 AM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by archaicguy
I had a drag and wierd howling on mine after install. Got it adjusted after some riding and perfect since.
Crap.... I have that sound in mine. I just recently had them replaced. hand tighten them when it is warm ,and that should fix it?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:40 PM
Squid

Looking at the instructions on APE, which I hadn't seen before now, they seem more worried about the tensioner being over-tight than over-loose. I backed out both tensioners exactly a quarter of an inch and tightened the rear. I'll have to wait till I have time to pull the tank and the air box before I can reach the front lock nut.

It seems to me that if APE recommends a quarter to three eighths inch chain play, finger tight on the chain and then back off 1/4 inch by measuring the tensioner bolt should be about right.

I wont get to it until Friday, so SOMEONE PLEASE STOP ME IF I'M ABOUT TO SCREW UP!

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:19 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
finger tight and back off 1/4 turn
Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
Squid

alwayshonda is on a distinguished road
Odds are, you'll be too tight at first (better than too loose). My finger tight was waaaaayy too tight. I must have gorilla grip! Don't forget to adjust the idle speed and maybe sync the carbs. Mine was out, but that might have been for other reasons.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
It scares me when people say finger "tight". It shouldn't be tight. Just screw it in until you feel a little tension, then back it up 1/4 turn (not 1/4 inch).

My dog just **** on my foot as I was typing this. WTF?

Last edited by evines; 03-21-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: dog shit
Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by evines
It scares me when people say finger "tight". It shouldn't be tight. Just screw it in until you feel a little tension, then back it up 1/4 turn (not 1/4 inch).

Hahhahhhahahaa!! Today was not your day.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Squid

That's my issue, APE says when it begins to push on chain, stop and back off 1/4 turn. That seemed way too loose to me. I had the valve cover off and was watching the chain while I adjusted the rear the first time.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 PM
Squid

It only needs to be tight enough to prevent jumping a tooth. Hindsight... would have been a good idea to see how far the Honda CCT was pushing the chain before it was removed (I thought of it too late too). On another note, you can adjust the front CCT without removing the air box, etc. You'll need the engine warmed up and running to get the final adjustment anyway.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alwayshonda
It only needs to be tight enough to prevent jumping a tooth.
+1.

APE says when it begins to push on chain, stop and back off 1/4 turn. That seemed way too loose to me. I had the valve cover off and was watching the chain while I adjusted the rear the first time.
The chain will be loose if done correctly. You should be able to pull the chain down half-way between the cam sprockets about 1/4 inch if the CCT is installed correctly. You might even hear the chain rattling some when it's cold (as the chain vibrates against the CCT), but the rattle should go away once it's warmed up. If you ALWAYS hear rattling, then that's too loose.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Squid

The chain will be loose if done correctly. You should be able to pull the chain down half-way between the cam sprockets about 1/4 inch if the CCT is installed correctly. You might even hear the chain rattling some when it's cold (as the chain vibrates against the CCT), but the rattle should go away once it's warmed up. If you ALWAYS hear rattling, then that's too loose.

I think you know your stuff. I called APE today and your information is accurate. Thank you very much.

While I had my valve cover off and the rear cylinder at TDC, I stuck a feeler gauge under my cam lobes and checked the clearance. Honda recommends valve clearances be checked at 12,000 and I'm not quite there yet. But my valves were a about .003 too tight. Honda recommends not more than +/- .001, so, I'm going to take it to the only mechanic that I will let near my SH, Bart at Faster Motorsports in Denver. He really knows Super Hawks and I very highly recommend him. I'm just going to let him set the cct's as part of the valve adjustment. That way, I'll sleep better knowing it's right.
/
/
/
Old 03-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Seriously.. i just burst out laughing in the cubicle farm at work. What a random thing to have happen, but thanks for making my day,
Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
it's too tight. takes alot for the chains to jump. Best is to tune it with the engine warmed and running. I tuned it by ear. Just tight enough so the chain noise go away.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:09 AM
Squid

Blackbetty is on a distinguished road
What if..

Whats the result if they are too tight? Can it cause any damage? I bon mean like torqued down Nm tight just not backed off that 1/4 turn.

I just installed mine and everything went fine but im not hearing anything on crank, no rattle no nothing. It turns over fine and runs smooth as.
Engine was semi warm when i installed as I ran the bike to a friends place to do the install job so was up to operating temp before I started.
Attached Thumbnails APE cct install-imag0061.jpg  

Last edited by Blackbetty; 09-08-2013 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Cos everyone loves pics....
Old 09-08-2013, 02:30 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
If they are too tight then there'll be a squeal, if too loose there'll be a rattle.

Done about right it'll slightly rattle from cold but noise will go once warmed up.

Are you saying you tightened them up without backing them out 1/4 - 1/8?

Potentially damage will result to cams if done too tight. Did you remember to use thread lock to stop any oil leaks from the tensioner bolt and to doubly ensure the lock nut can't undo?
Old 09-08-2013, 03:42 AM
Squid

Blackbetty is on a distinguished road
New Si unit: FNm (Finger Newton meters) Measure or torque

Originally Posted by Wicky
If they are too tight then there'll be a squeal, if too loose there'll be a rattle.

Done about right it'll slightly rattle from cold but noise will go once warmed up.

Are you saying you tightened them up without backing them out 1/4 - 1/8?

Potentially damage will result to cams if done too tight. Did you remember to use thread lock to stop any oil leaks from the tensioner bolt and to doubly ensure the lock nut can't undo?
Cheers Wicky...
Yep, Install was done with lock-tight on everything.

I backed them out the 1/4 turn from my finger tight and locked everything up solid.. Was just waiting to hear some kind of mechanical change in note when started. Instead, nothing.. well actually a reduction in general engine noise but no squeal or rattle on initial crank. Just sat there idling like the beautiful beast she is..

I'll prob have to wait till everything is dead cold and listen then.

I just think its somewhat subjective for an engineering solution to specify 'finger tight' for anything.. I realise the actual pressure these are designed to provide is 'light' (another subjective quantity). There's just something about a torque wrench that gives assurances in these instances.

I must admit I did put a spanner on the nut after achieving 'finger tight' just to see how that 'felt' at then end of a mechanical advantage tool before backing out the 1/4.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Blackbetty
I just think its somewhat subjective for an engineering solution to specify 'finger tight' for anything.. I realise the actual pressure these are designed to provide is 'light' (another subjective quantity). There's just something about a torque wrench that gives assurances in these instances..
Well, the engineering solution you speak of is to remove the valve covers and measure 1/4" of play in the chain between the cam sprockets.

FWIW mine have never rattled, and I'm on the loose end of that specification. They may be slightly tighter than a track mechanic would end up at, but I'm fairly confident they aren't causing damage.