Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Please, I need urgent help with manual APE CCT install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:37 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Please, I need urgent help with manual APE CCT install.

God what a day I had. Kept getting worse and worse. Ok, I didn't follow the right procedure to uninstall the factory CCT, so I unbolted the 2 bolts that hold it to the rear cyclinder without releasing the nut that was sitting on top of it. So as soon as I take the second bolt out, the CCT jumps out at me and i hear like something got loose into the engine and fell thru it. I wasn't sure what it was but i know for sure that my engine is seized up, it won't turn over. Is there something that has to do with the cam chain that fell down to the bottom of the engine or is it something else. Please help me.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:47 PM
Superstock

Texassuperhawk
Re: Please, I need urgent help with manual APE CCT install.

Holy ***** Batman !! Do you have the cam cover off the cylinder so you can look into the engine? If not DO IT , to me it sounds as if the cam chain jumped out or broke causeing it to drop down into the motor and jam up in the gearing down there. I hope you have a serice manual to guide you threw this journey, I shall go pray for your poor Superhawks sole.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:29 AM
SuperSport

Well, I doesn't seem like the chain broke because I had the head covers off and when I removed the tensioner, somethink got loose around the chain that is going down to the bottom of the engine. How can the chain break so easily? I didn't even touch it.the chain is still sitting tight on the cam gears but I have a suspicion that something fell down there and is jamong the chain at the bottom but I am not sure what it is. it has to be related to the stock cam chain tensioner.. Anyone else has any idea?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:50 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

My first suggestion is get a magnetic tool retriever from the local auto parts store if you don't have one. These handy things have same my butt on so many occasions it's not funny. Turn the motor back, fish around with it and you might get lucky.

I'm not familiar with the internal layout of the motor so this may be of little use but you might try dropping the oil pan and see if anything is there. Do it carefully to possibly save the gasket.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Squid

VTRBeefa

Online Microfische

Have a good look here and locate the section of motor your dealing with... this should give you an idea of all the parts you should have in your hands... if you dont have them all, then you know what your looking for : )
Old 04-11-2005, 09:43 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
You should never turn the crank with the tensioner out. You may have changed the cam timing. On some bikes, the chain can jam when untensioned. I don't know about ours.

Since you'll need to retime the cams, get a proper manual and install your new tensioner. Then see if you have the problem. I can't really think of anything that could have fallen off the tension adjuster and the tensioner inside is bolted in place. It could be broken, I suppose but I'll bet the chain is just jammed.

The procedure for retiming the cams is pretty easy.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:16 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
You should never turn the crank with the tensioner out. You may have changed the cam timing. On some bikes, the chain can jam when untensioned. I don't know about ours.

Since you'll need to retime the cams, get a proper manual and install your new tensioner. Then see if you have the problem. I can't really think of anything that could have fallen off the tension adjuster and the tensioner inside is bolted in place. It could be broken, I suppose but I'll bet the chain is just jammed.

The procedure for retiming the cams is pretty easy.
Yes, that's what I am thinking too. So what do I do if the chain is jammed?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:17 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Jiggle the cams back and forth to see if you can get it loose.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:21 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
Jiggle the cams back and forth to see if you can get it loose.
Yeah, I think it got knocked off the gears on the bottom and got jammed somehow because I was watching it on top and it never jumped on top. Thanx Jim and everyone else.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:03 AM
SuperSport

Thanx everyone for your replies. The bike is timed and running, but now since we put in a jet kit, we have to fine tune it and I have to put in some new plugs since yesterday it was running on one cylinder from time to time.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren

Awwww crap, now you all got me worried. Last summer I replaced the front cct with an oem unit after the original failed. I just backed out the tensioner and then removed the two screws, pulled it off and popped in the new one. All was fine and dandy from there.

Over the winter I replaced the rear cct with another OEM unit, my silly logic being that they have since remedied the weak internal spring that tends to break since they have had 2 or 3 part number revisions since '98. Well, I replaced it, started it and rev'd, all seems fine and dandy, but I haven't ridden it yet. I never actually set the TDC position before doing the swaps... Could a simple pull out and replace (with first backing out the spring) result in a skipped tooth?? I mean, if it runs fine, it must therefore be fine, correct?

:-)
Old 04-12-2005, 09:27 AM
SuperSport

I didn't have any good luck with the rear cylinder, as soon as I took the original CCT off, the chain got loose and skipped a tooth and the compressed valves made the cams spin out of timing. I couldn't get the bike to crank over, so me and my friend knew that the piston was against a valve and it was seizing the engine. So, we timed it again and all was fine when we turned it on. Lucky as hell. thank God.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
So I must be fine since mine is revving and idling fine. Still haven't ridden it yet, a few things left to do before that can happen.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:10 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Originally Posted by VTRDarren";p=&quot
Awwww crap, now you all got me worried. Last summer I replaced the front cct with an oem unit after the original failed. I just backed out the tensioner and then removed the two screws, pulled it off and popped in the new one. All was fine and dandy from there.

Over the winter I replaced the rear cct with another OEM unit, my silly logic being that they have since remedied the weak internal spring that tends to break since they have had 2 or 3 part number revisions since '98. Well, I replaced it, started it and rev'd, all seems fine and dandy, but I haven't ridden it yet. I never actually set the TDC position before doing the swaps... Could a simple pull out and replace (with first backing out the spring) result in a skipped tooth?? I mean, if it runs fine, it must therefore be fine, correct?

:-)
If you didn't turn the crank or cam, you didn't cause a problem. If you'd caused a problem, you'd know.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Back Marker

RymerC
Man, I replace my rear tensioner just by yanking it out & sticking a new one in. Probably took me all of 3 minutes...
Now the front is making noise! grrrr!