General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
I put in the jack flash fuel screws today
very happy with his service they arrived quick

Didn't know they have such small washer and spring on it and almost dropped into the intake

Then had to spent an half an our to get it out between the cilinders
wich has become a parts bucket of sorts because i found a washer another screw, i need to stop working on it when i am tired

and i am blessed with small hands so in can adjust them without taking anything off
Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Went for a 300K ride with a mate on his Moto Guzzi.

Great day for riding som equiet back country roads!

Only saw 2 Police all day!

Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Let a friend from church take his wife for a spin on it. They returned it with huge smiles, and a full tank. So thankful God blessed me with this bike.

Tell me more about the collector junction grinding... How did i miss that??!?
Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 AM
SuperBike

Right hand side where link pipe bolts on, have a look inside you'll see the offending pipe.

I dremelled and filed mine.

Before you do it feel the gasses out of the right hand can.

Then check it after you do it, you'll be amazed.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:42 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I just saw a picture of the offending blockage on here very recently. Not sure if it was a new post or an older thread, but it's here somewhere.

EDIT: In searching for a picture, I found some rather strong indications to leave this restriction in place. I was posting an edit with links, but my phone just lost that edit. Search for "exhast restriction" and you'll find what I found.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 03-15-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:56 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Ya i just read that moriwaki headers had the restriction left in, and rodger d advised against removing it... Maybe that why i left mine, i don't remember...

James
Old 03-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Yeah, after finding out more about it; it sounds like a good idea to leave the restriction in place for the street. My Honda shop does the grinding as a standard fix since one mechanic races his 'Hawk and it has a benefit in racing.
So far, I'm very disappointed with the new Leo Vince cans. There are loose parts jangling around in the cannisters- it sounds like a tambourine being shaken. The shop says the cans came like that, the manufacturer thinks the mechanics tried to remove the silencers and let the parts drop inside. I'm stuck in the middle with some goofy sounding pipes. I'm going to see what it takes to pull the baffles out and find the loose parts, but of course that voids my warranty. I'm wondering if a magnet on a telescoping extension might fish the parts out.
I'm wondering if the shop did it to f**k with me since I had them do the forum carb rejet rather than just slap a Dynojet kit in like they wanted. They still charged me a bunch of money of course.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:20 AM
SuperBike

Went for a ride over my favourite mountain to my favourite pub!

Great road with plenty of corners.

This is a famous biker haunt in New South Wales Australia and is surrounded by great rides including Macquarie pass.

The round trip for me is 120Klms and takes in 3 great mountain roads.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RobertLever
Yeah, after finding out more about it; it sounds like a good idea to leave the restriction in place for the street. My Honda shop does the grinding as a standard fix since one mechanic races his 'Hawk and it has a benefit in racing.
So far, I'm very disappointed with the new Leo Vince cans. There are loose parts jangling around in the cannisters- it sounds like a tambourine being shaken. The shop says the cans came like that, the manufacturer thinks the mechanics tried to remove the silencers and let the parts drop inside. I'm stuck in the middle with some goofy sounding pipes. I'm going to see what it takes to pull the baffles out and find the loose parts, but of course that voids my warranty. I'm wondering if a magnet on a telescoping extension might fish the parts out.
I'm wondering if the shop did it to f**k with me since I had them do the forum carb rejet rather than just slap a Dynojet kit in like they wanted. They still charged me a bunch of money of course.
Sorry to here of your troubles. It really sucks to feel ripped off.
That is the reason I don't let anyone do wrenching on any of my vehicles.

I have done zero with the Hawk for 6 weeks. I have been out of town on a job. Having serious withdrawals. The riding weather has been near perfect all winter.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Superstock

It just goes to show you, if you want something done right, do it yourself.
Hope you get a good ride in soon, Xeris.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Added a Puig double bubble in preparation for my trip down to the Texas Big Bend area, and for some added performance, replaced my grips and bar-ends for an HP boost.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2&l=3e4ec7640f

Also had my Kreiger MCCT's installed finally for some added piece of mind. Oh yeah, rebuilt the forks & steering stem, refreshed all the fluids & filters, and gave it a thorough once-over. I think it's ready for 2000 miles in 4 days. Don't know if I am.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 AM
SuperBike

Great stuff, good to see your going on a decent ride.

I am 57 and my current record stands at 920Klms in a day with a fully loaded bike.

I must admit that the fuel stops were a welcome relief, but was super impressed at how these bikes munch the miles!

Good luck and enjoy the trip.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:05 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rz_racer_69
Added a Puig double bubble in preparation for my trip down to the Texas Big Bend area

If you have the time make sure you check out Boquillas Hot Springs.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Superstock

I have a dark smoke Double Bubble waiting for new wellnuts to arrive from china. I've gotten to take a few short rides since getting the bike back from the shop. I love the snarling noises the engine makes with the new canisters but the jangling noise really bothers me.
I don't think the mechanic need a decent job installing the Hawk8541 rejet either. The bike does not want to idle cold. The idle speed wants to drop below 1K rpm, but it is at 1200 rpm spec when warmed up. I'm still getting carb farts and the occasional stall at idle/ deceleration as well. The carburetion seems clean at most rpms but it doesn't pull as strongly in the midrange as I remember the first VTR I rode doing. I think the mechanic did the initial settings and just left it at that.
Does anyone know a good VTR tuner in the Northwest?
I've posted new pictures of the bike with the cans in my album. I also removed the ugly license plate lamp from the rear fender and moved the license plate up for a cleaner look.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Big Bend Trip

Well, finished my trip. Only amounted to 1530 miles in 4 days.

Had one bike (ZX14) break down due to catching a rock in the front mounted radiator (fixed with Bars Leak), and three bikes wore their tires down to the cord. (I knew better and bought new tires, lol)

Here's a photo album: (link keeps breaking for some reason) http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=d304007aa1
Copy and paste this, replacing the "dots": www dot facebook dot com/media/set/?set=a.10201139025472341.1073741826.1670724677&typ e=1&l=d304007aa1

With all the bags on it, the bike topped out about 10 mph slower than usual, and I had to crank up the preload 4 spots (was at lowest) on the shock after the first day, after realizing how much the added weight to the rear affected cornering.

Biggest problem I had was the wind blast from "touring" at high-speeds for days, and cold hands in the 39 degree temps we had at times. Will have to look into grip warmers and a taller screen than the double bubble for future tours.

Pretty amazing bike to be able to ride at 6-8k rpm in top gear all day without any complaints. (and I was one of the slow guys, lol couldn't keep up with the big ZX's, till we hit the twisties, then the SuperHawk shined)

Last edited by rz_racer_69; 03-25-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:27 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Removed my swingarm this evening. I have the 900rr brace cut off and ready to tweak. It came off with no protest at all.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM
semi-advanced novice
Squid

drewski is on a distinguished road
Pulled it out of winter storage, pulled the gas tank and replaced the diaphragms in the petcock, (Thanks Wicky!!), fired it up and ran it down my road a couple times to confirm that was the issue and dumped a can of BG44K into her tank.

Last edited by drewski; 04-06-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Me too. It was 61 degrees here, so I pulled 'er out of the basement and into the garage. After sitting for ~5 months, she fired right up after two cranks. However, it doesn't run to well with no airbox and shop towels shoved into the carbs. I'm a putz...
In my defense, beer was involved.

P.S. The new Miller Fortune is decent (side effects might include, forgetting what you did to your bike over the winter months)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Squid

Tofazfou is on a distinguished road
Installed a set of CCT's and went to drag knee in one of the local mountain ranges.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The Superhawk was sitting there quietly in the garage, but yet talking to me. Saying, "put the flippin' airbox on, and take me for a ride damn you!" So, I put the stock airbox on, put on the Dr. Honda velocity stacks and topped it off with a BMC Street air filter. Now, I wasn't expecting much, because I didn't mess with the carbs any and there was only half a gallon of crap gas left over from last year. Here's how it went on a nice 60 degree ferenheit, sunny day in S.E. Wisconsin.
1st gear...wheelie (of course)
2nd gear...wheelie (of course)
3rd gear...layed the front end back down and then at the top of the revs, the front end starts getting light and the wheel starts coming up. Did not expect that. If there was more RPM's left, the front wheel would have been hangin' in the air.

I'm chalking this up to whatever crap I put in the tank to keep the gas from going to crap over the winter. It wasn't normal. Velocity stacks alone shouldn't do this. Yup, super gas. Definitely super duper DUPER gas.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Back Marker

rick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
The Superhawk was sitting there quietly in the garage, but yet talking to me. Saying, "put the flippin' airbox on, and take me for a ride damn you!" So, I put the stock airbox on, put on the Dr. Honda velocity stacks and topped it off with a BMC Street air filter. Now, I wasn't expecting much, because I didn't mess with the carbs any and there was only half a gallon of crap gas left over from last year. Here's how it went on a nice 60 degree ferenheit, sunny day in S.E. Wisconsin.
1st gear...wheelie (of course)
2nd gear...wheelie (of course)
3rd gear...layed the front end back down and then at the top of the revs, the front end starts getting light and the wheel starts coming up. Did not expect that. If there was more RPM's left, the front wheel would have been hangin' in the air.

I'm chalking this up to whatever crap I put in the tank to keep the gas from going to crap over the winter. It wasn't normal. Velocity stacks alone shouldn't do this. Yup, super gas. Definitely super duper DUPER gas.

The stacks must have gained some supernatural powers when it went on the cross-country trek
Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Yeah, no kiddin', hey? It was wierd.

Filed the tank up on the way home today, so we will see what happens tomorrow. I need to fly through this new tank of gas, so I can get my baseline numbers for the X-Wing thread.

Thinking out loud here, since I didn't mess with the carbs at all, maybe my bike was rich and after installing the new filter and velocity stacks, this was just the right combo for what the carbs were set at? Not really sure. All I know is in the upper RPM's, the bike was a totally different animal all together (there is an Airplane (the movie) joke in there, but I'm to tired).
Old 04-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Rode it to COTA. Saw a red Superhawk in lot b.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:09 AM
Superstock

I got the Double-Bubble windshield installed. I'm not sure I should have gone with the dark smoked tint. Sometimes I really like it and sometimes I feel it looks a little too flashy.
It looks like decent weather today, I'm hoping to take her out for another ride.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Rode it to COTA again! Saw no Superhawks but saw Marc run away with the event. He had the entire front straight between he and third place. Oh yeah and Pedrosa was there somewhere too.

Last edited by GlockPointer; 04-13-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:49 PM
Back Marker

bbancsov is on a distinguished road
Began bringing it back from the grave. Should be ready in about 3 weeks!

Name:  IMG_1127_zpsf8f21efa.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  80.7 KB
Old 04-13-2014, 10:56 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I assume you're putting a window in the side cover? Love the red wheels. Can't wait for the rest of the bike to come together. I know I'm not the only one watching!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
De-Zycloned my Yoshi Zyclone RS3s. Shes got her rumble on.

Now to work out why Its poping on deceleration. Think I got the pair removal wrong.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
De-Zycloned my Yoshi Zyclone RS3s. Shes got her rumble on.

Now to work out why Its poping on deceleration. Think I got the pair removal wrong.
Either that, or you have holes in the exhaust before the muffler. Check the exhaust gaskets.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Either that, or you have holes in the exhaust before the muffler. Check the exhaust gaskets.
Will check them tomorrow. Cheers

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?