General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 02:53 AM
Squid

jedrek750 is on a distinguished road
Which one is better?
Old 04-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Back Marker

bbancsov is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
I assume you're putting a window in the side cover? Love the red wheels. Can't wait for the rest of the bike to come together. I know I'm not the only one watching!
Thank you and yes you are correct! Love the look of the Ducati's dry clutch and the bling factor. It's actually being re-done as I type this due to an unforeseen issue with how I set it up the first time. Pure carbon fiber body work to come in the next 2 weeks!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jedrek750
Which one is better?
Middle one looks cool.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Squid

Thanks, I thik so too.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 PM
Squid

Tofazfou is on a distinguished road
Had RACETECH .95 springs installed in the front fork along with new seals, valves and oil.

Then the next day, I installed a Jamie Dougherty rear shock. THen I took it for a very brisk canyon ride.

The new front and rear suspension makes all the difference in the world. I still need to have everything fine tuned to my weight but the Honda Dealer and J.D. did a pretty good job of getting it really close based on the info I gave them.

The experts are right though, suspension should be the 1st thing every done on a motorcycle over engine mods. Especially for the guys that ride either briskly in the canyons or do track days.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Name:  IMG_1946.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  703.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1986.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  628.0 KB

Last edited by Tofazfou; 04-22-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:57 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Made some progress today. Still waiting on the brake caliper carrier, it's getting flat black powder coat.
Name:  P250414_1633.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  80.5 KB
Name:  P250414_1634_01.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  87.3 KB
Name:  P250414_1634.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  91.9 KB
Old 05-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Took the Hawk out for our longest ride yet. I really am getting more used to the bike now and I found a twisty bit of state road to practice on. I really like how the bike handles; it's easily as good as my old RD400 but much more powerful. I like all the roarty sounds the engine makes too.
Apparently I found a popular biking road because at least a third of the traffic was bikes, all kinds.
I stopped at a place called the Big Rock Cafe and ate an eleven-freakin-dollar bacon cheeseburger with a crowd of riders. There were 3 guys on Ducatis who would barely talk to geeky old me. But I talked a while with the other Honda guys, one on a NX700 and another guy on a beautiful RC51. He told me he had a hawk at home too.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
285 miles on the 'Hawk through some good twisties, and then highway when my back told me to relax a little...
Old 05-12-2014, 08:16 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
FINALLY re-wired my electical accessories with this neat little fuse box.

This seller has a lot of very cool stuff.

EachBuyer - Cool Gadgets, LED, Home & Garden, Electronics at Affordable Prices, Free Shipping!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Back Marker

CascadeRider is on a distinguished road
What did I do with my hawk today?

I trailered by bike home yesterday after hearing the "call" for manual CCTs. :/ I don't think there's damage. I didn't hear any clunk. Just ding da ding ding da ding ding da ding ding. I shut off and pulled over immediately.

Ordering APE CCTs now.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
You may be one of the lucky ones. I changed mine to Kreigers very soon after purchase due to this site.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Back Marker

I am not so smart. We'll see how lucky I am.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:25 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CascadeRider
I am not so smart. We'll see how lucky I am.
Seems like a bomb ticking....hate to deal with it. Put mine off for awhile because of some mcct installs that went haywire. You probably caught it and you'll be ok
Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 AM
Squid

paulmx5 is on a distinguished road
I cleaned the chain and applied Maxima wax. Then, took my bike for a short ride.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by paulmx5
I cleaned the chain and applied Maxima wax. Then, took my bike for a short ride.
I was just looking at that stuff on eBay today. Do you like it? Does the chain fling crap all over after you apply it and go for a ride?
Old 05-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Squid

Saw 240 degrees on my digital temp gauge. .....THIS ISN"T RIGHT..RIGHT?!

Removed the thermostat and performed not only the YOUTUBE Test but also the test from the HONDA manual and the Thermostat FAILED!

So yeah, today, I ordered a new thermostat which by the way is harder to find than ammunition......lol!
Old 05-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CascadeRider
What did I do with my hawk today?

I trailered by bike home yesterday after hearing the "call" for manual CCTs. :/ I don't think there's damage. I didn't hear any clunk. Just ding da ding ding da ding ding da ding ding. I shut off and pulled over immediately.

Ordering APE CCTs now.
Sorry to hear about your CCTs. A hint- the manual ones tend to weep a bit of oil unless you put teflon tape or a good bead of Locktite on them.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Superstock

There was actually a 2 hour hole of sunshine in all the clouds and I squeezed a ride in. I found some screamin deals on used Dainese on Fleabay. I got a very nice ventilated leather jacket for $200. All I had to do was clean the bugs off and it looked new. I found some pants to protect my knees for only $60. Two words Dainese, Belt Loops. I felt a little ridiculous in full leathers. I definitely looked more serious than I'll ever be.
One thing I've noticed about the handling on the 'Hawk is that its so natural that if you overthink it, you screw it up. I rode better when I just went around the corner without thinking about it. The bike is good enough that it'll take care of you.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:34 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RobertLever
I felt a little ridiculous in full leathers.
Dont ever feel that. Ever.

You would feel far more ridiculous getting skin grafts. I know its different in the US but here other riders mock you for not wearing the right gear.

You can go for a slide just going to the corner shop just as much as a track ride.

Wear gear for the slide, not for the ride.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Squid

Finally mounted on bike...

Old 05-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Squid

604VTRider is on a distinguished road
Not today, but 3 weeks ago I brought home a '98 Firestorm. All stock, manual ccts fitted, stock r/r so I've ordered a kit from roadstercycle.com, road rash from a previous owner, and 50,000 km+ on the dial. But the price was right and it is the fastest colour.

Been commuting on it and continually have my mind blown by how much joy these bikes bring

Today is set aside for fluids and a clean, then a little rumble around town.

Planning to do something about that front end, with it's front brake diving. Maybe some cosmetic work in the future too.

Thanks to this forum for all the knowledge, and continual use of the words "fun" and"amazing" when talking about these bikes. I think I'm in deep now!
Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
new grips
Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 604VTRider
Not today, but 3 weeks ago I brought home a '98 Firestorm. All stock, manual ccts fitted, stock r/r so I've ordered a kit from roadstercycle.com, road rash from a previous owner, and 50,000 km+ on the dial. But the price was right and it is the fastest colour.

Been commuting on it and continually have my mind blown by how much joy these bikes bring

Today is set aside for fluids and a clean, then a little rumble around town.

Planning to do something about that front end, with it's front brake diving. Maybe some cosmetic work in the future too.

Thanks to this forum for all the knowledge, and continual use of the words "fun" and"amazing" when talking about these bikes. I think I'm in deep now!
Congrats on your new yellow Firestorm! And welcome to the forum.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:52 PM
Back Marker

604VTRider, welcome! And correct you are, yellow is the fastest color.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:06 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
SFA. This is the latest start I've had to a riding season. I've adjusted the valves, stripped the front forks, rebuilt the front brake calipers and replaced the oil cooler. I've got to install new front wheel bearings and seals, change the brake and clutch fluid, lube the throttle and cables, check the carbs and do a few other odds and ends. I seem to be able to get the small jobs done but I've got a big mental block about putting the bits back on the bike. It's easier and more fun to ride my trials bike.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Squid

Replaced the thermostat with a new one due to overheating.

I also drained and flushed the entire cooling system as well as replaced it all with OEM Honda coolant.

I also installed a newer set of carb boots and stripped down the carb jets. One on the front cylinder was clogged.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Amateur Hour, Every Hour
Squid

TboneNast is on a distinguished road
Past few days:

Pulled out carbs, replaced Factory Pro kit with 48 slows, OEM needles shimmed up 0.040" + OEM shim in rear, OEM mains, epoxy'd 1 hole front slide.

Pulled off 2bros exhaust, installed OEM

New plugs

Removed PAIR (superdutyd plates)
Removed CA EVAP

OEM Air filter + sub filters + airbox seal

TPS set to 502 ohms

Custom vacuum lines to seat area for easy carb sync

Hardcore chain clean + wax

*stripped out crankshaft hole cap socket

8451Hawk's carb setup is the real deal if you are patient and detail oriented. I just need to fine tune needle shims plus mixture screws but bike is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than previous owner setup.

Last edited by TboneNast; 05-26-2014 at 01:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:36 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TboneNast
OEM Air filter + sub filters + airbox seal
Thanks for that. I just had to check in the manual. My bike doesnt have an airbox seal. I best order one.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Squid

604VTRider is on a distinguished road
Saturday - flushed the cooling system twice with distilled water, filled it with Honda Type2 pre-mix; inspected the air filter and found a K&N from the PO in the airbox; inspected the chain and spockets and found them to be in great shape; washed the bike down and fueled it up - then washed the wife's CR-V for karma.

Sunday - the first ride of any real significance with this bike: up to Whistler and back. 70 Km of cross-city trudging, rewarded by 230Km of winding mountain roads and an unending parade of oncoming bikes - from little enduros, supermotos and racer-boys to baggers and Goldwings.

The biggest problem I encountered is that the road is built for travel at 130km/h, but the posted limit is 80... Humility then comes from the sensation of keeping a respectful yet enjoyable pace, only to be passed by a white E350 Econoline 14-passenger van shuttling mountain bikes. Obviously my VTR isn't quite yellow enough.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:12 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Started the process of organizing all of my tools from 47+ years of taking my bikes apart and putting them back together. I confess to a slippage in the amount of time devoted to cleaning and organizational issues. I'm retired now and feel experienced enough to make the tough decisions on what stays and what goes. Efficiency needs improvement. I hate searching for a tool I know I have and by time this is finished I'll be able to find that lost 17mm wrench and whatever else pops up. It was amusing finding drawers lined with 1970 newspaper and even a Racing Form from 1965. A final note, with a very few exceptions the bike has been ready to roll on a moments notice. Enjoy your day gents!

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?