General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:32 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by YLTO-Superhawk
Yea its clear to see how a person can kill themselves with a crotch rocket. The wife is none too thrilled. Thinks its a mid life crisis. Im enjoying it though. Its nice to ride a different kind of bike.

Now, tonight Im hoping to figure out why my gas gauge is flashing empty, despite being full. Been that way since I got it. Hoping its something simple. Other than instrument cluster swaps and late model swaps I didn't see much in the way of troubleshooting in the threads other than

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...working-30374/
there should be a connector under the front of the seat that comes out of the fuel tank. The connector may be frayed or otherwise disconnected.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Squid

SpeedieGTI is on a distinguished road
Rode about 50 miles with a buddy on country highways. He has a newer fz6r and couldn't quite keep up He did say that my exhaust sounded gnarly when I took off. Stock pipes and this old bike does sound quite awesome!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:54 PM
BlueBirdin'
Squid

Storm_Chaser is on a distinguished road
Installed an 8-Cell Ballistic Lithium Ferrous Polymer Battery and the Micron Carbon Fiber High Mounts.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-photo-nov-10-9-39-02-pm.jpg  
Old 11-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Cleaned up my trickle charger harness on the bike. It looks and works much better now.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Superstock

The weather dried up enough for me to take a nice 20 mile ride across the Snohomish River valley and back. Dry roads and light traffic made the ride quite enjoyable. I'm still a bit rusty getting back into riding after a decade so I took things very easy. This was my first really long ride on the bike.
My impressions are that the Hawk is very different than the fours I've been used to riding. It's geared ridiculously tall. I spent most of my time cruising in third gear, dropping down to second in town. I definitely need to work more on smoothing out my downshifts; the Hawk slows down so quickly it's like I threw out an anchor.
I love the rough character of the bike, it's a new challenge to an old rider.
I had the engine die once coasting up to a stoplight, but I hear that's pretty common. I hear a lot of mechanical noise from the engine with the stock pipes. Hopefully I can drown that out with some nice cans in the future. It sounds like the Leo Vince SBK Ovals are the best bet. What do you guys think?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RobertLever
The weather dried up enough for me to take a nice 20 mile ride across the Snohomish River valley and back. Dry roads and light traffic made the ride quite enjoyable. I'm still a bit rusty getting back into riding after a decade so I took things very easy. This was my first really long ride on the bike.
My impressions are that the Hawk is very different than the fours I've been used to riding. It's geared ridiculously tall. I spent most of my time cruising in third gear, dropping down to second in town. I definitely need to work more on smoothing out my downshifts; the Hawk slows down so quickly it's like I threw out an anchor.
I love the rough character of the bike, it's a new challenge to an old rider.
I had the engine die once coasting up to a stoplight, but I hear that's pretty common. I hear a lot of mechanical noise from the engine with the stock pipes. Hopefully I can drown that out with some nice cans in the future. It sounds like the Leo Vince SBK Ovals are the best bet. What do you guys think?
I had yosh rs3 stainless. Switched to stock with baffelectomy. Imo stockers look cool because of the way they're angled, goes with the lines of the bike. Sound is deeper, throatier. But the bike performed better with the yosh's
Old 11-16-2013, 06:46 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
Installed Q2's and greased up some dry spots. Contemplated putting on the shock shim and wiring harness for HID kit but called it a night. Fixed a celebratory beverage.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Put it in the basement this evening. Winter projects!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Finally got around to putting on the SS lines I got. Love them!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
I didn't do **** to the hawk today... But I did get the YZF600R Thundercat track bitch running
Old 11-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Back Marker

Scuffed some of the new off the tires. Wished it was Friday already so I can pick up the new brake calipers and M/C.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Bike Hoarder
Squid

SgtHollywood is on a distinguished road
did a little more thorough inspection after discovering that some clown knocked it over while parked under a cover. Upper fairing broken, as are rear tabs, double bubble popped into a million pieces. bent lever, rash on pipes and case cover, torn "newish" bike cover.

Of course no note was left, least they put it back on it's kickstand. Security camera across the street has coverage of location, will be pulling video.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
That sucks, I'm glad my bikes live in the shop.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 AM
Squid of the Year
Squid

Jonar is on a distinguished road
found out my APE manual CCT's shipment has been delayed, which means another ~20 days of waiting (US to Greece).

It gets a bit frustrating owning a Superhawk in Greece when it comes to spare parts availability. Dammit I really want to ride her again before winter sets in.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Jonar, are you not riding just because of the ccts? There are guys on here with tons of miles on the stockers. (me included). You should ride
Old 11-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Superstock

Proof that I'm getting old- I ordered a pair of Heli-bars to cure the '98 wrist syndrome rather than get a nice loud pair of exhaust cans. Of course the H-bars are cheaper, unless I need to get longer hydraulic lines now.
Sarge, I hope you can get the culprit to pay for for bodywork.
Jonar, You should look up Krieger CCTs, His are nicer than APEs (o-ring to stop oil weeping) and usually cheaper as well. He may ship to Greece quicker as well. Here is the link: Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners
Old 11-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Superstock

You should look up Krieger CCTs, His are nicer than APEs (o-ring to stop oil weeping) and usually cheaper as well. He may ship to Greece quicker as well. Here is the link: Krieger Cam Chain Tensioners
Nothing against the Krieger's but I have the ape's and they as well have the O-ring to stop the oil weeping
Old 11-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Superstock

Thanks, Insulinboy, I did not know that. The o-ring wasn't shown on the Ebay auction pics I saw. I'm glad they work well for you. I was concerned they were just more pretty anodized Chinese crap. I still like the Krieger acorn nut/lock nut better than the set-screw nut on the APEs though. Just personal taste.
Great racing stuff you have posted.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Superstock

I still like the Krieger acorn nut/lock nut better than the set-screw nut on the APEs though. Just personal taste.
Great racing stuff you have posted.

Now that I will agree with, the roll pin in the nut on one of mine got lost the first ride I wen't on. I'm going to JBweld the nuts on them so that doesn't happen again.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Superstock

We got another atypical sunny mild day here in the Northwest. I took the Hawk out for another ride across the valley and back again. I need to find more country roads that aren't clogged with cagers. Perhaps I might go out again while the sunshine lasts.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Since I have an exposed basement/garage, I pulled the mirrors off the bike, pushed it from the garage, through the doorway to the basement, tipped the entire bike up onto the kickstand, spun it 90 degrees, backed it up next to my work bench and there she sits untill it gets warm again. I just couldn't leave the bike in that cold garage

It's also nice having a warm object to work on (bring on the comments haha)
Old 11-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Good stuff guys, all I've done recently is put her on the charger. I do have the RaceTech kit but damned if I have the time to install.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Bike Hoarder
Squid

SgtHollywood is on a distinguished road
Well from yesterday. Removed all the body work to repair the cracks and broken pieces. Right now its sitting on the floor waiting for some ABS repair. Also discovered that the Right rearset is bent, hopefully the master plunger and shaft are okay. Will be looking for another Right side or go the Dan Moto route.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:43 PM
Superstock

I ordered a carb jet kit from a company called CarbJetKits. The kit has #48 pilot jets and enough shims to do 8541 Hawk's carb setup. The kit was only $32 which I'm hoping isn't too good to be true. Anyone dealt with these guys before?
Honda Jet Kits :: Honda 1000 cc Jet Kits :: Honda VTR1000F 1998-2005 :: Honda VTR1000F 1998-2005 Superior - Jet kits for Carburetors

Last edited by RobertLever; 11-30-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Give credit to 8541Hawk for his carb setup
Old 12-01-2013, 09:04 AM
Superstock

I've been working under the assumption that if I see a VTR aftermarket part for a good price on Ebay, then its probably been discontinued by the manufacturer and soon will not be available.
That being said, it's also a good rationalization for buying new toys for the bike.
I just picked up a mini undertail kit for the VFR for $40. I'll need to paint it red but that's OK. I also got some Proton flush mounts for the front of the bike.
I had planned to get the frivolous cosmetic stuff later on and concentrate on performance upgrades, but I'm worried this cool stuff just won't be around any more.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Superstock

New grips and grip warmers, plus a 97 mile ride in 40* weather to test them..

I also coincidentally found out that my sweep racing tires hoodie fits very well over my leathers
Old 12-01-2013, 06:21 PM
mcg
Squid

mcg is on a distinguished road
Snowing today here in Ottawa. Visited my VTR in the garage, checked the battery tender, gve her a pat and back to dreaming of spring and dry roads!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:06 AM
Back Marker

Ordered some Krieger CCT's. Rode around town for a bit before the storms come in.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Back Marker

Installed R6 R/R and Tokico 6 piston calipers.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

Pics of the calipers please. How they working for you?

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?