Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

How often do the coils spark?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:02 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
How often do the coils spark?

I had a reading on my timing light (which has a tach function) that was double what the bike's tach was saying. Do the coils fire on both the compression and the exhaust stroke?I'm getting ready to install to install some #48 pilots and wanted to dial them in with the 50 RPM instructions in the manual.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
you know I haven't seen anything in the book, and normally I would say no, seeings how it has a coil per cylinder, and I know the converter has two separate wires being grounded by the ICM, but I found the same issue when I tried hooking up another tachometer from a different bike. So I would hazard a guess and say yes it's waste spark for some reason.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
the answer is yes they do.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:22 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Wah? Is his a trick question? We don't have twin-fire coils I believe. So the coils fire every 1,440 degrees of rotation or 1 time for every 4 rpm, thus divide by 4, or 2 if the TL reading is double the VTR's tacho. I presume you are also synchronizing (balancing) the carbs but its hard on the VTR because of its huge carbs to get an appreciable RPM change using the pilot circuit fuel screw and the VTR won't run down at 50 RPM anyway. However, none of the jets (pilot, main or air) don't care what RPM the engine turns... Dropping the revs using the idle fuel screw to 500~600 rpm is low enough to sync; also check balance at 4~5k revs. Set the fuel screws to 2-1/2 turns out +/- a 1/4 turn and fugetaboutit.

Originally Posted by Gregw
I had a reading on my timing light (which has a tach function) that was double what the bike's tach was saying. Do the coils fire on both the compression and the exhaust stroke?I'm getting ready to install to install some #48 pilots and wanted to dial them in with the 50 RPM instructions in the manual.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2010, 09:42 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought it fired every revolution... wasted spark...no?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Wah? Is his a trick question? We don't have twin-fire coils I believe. So the coils fire every 1,440 degrees of rotation or 1 time for every 4 rpm, thus divide by 4, or 2 if the TL reading is double the VTR's tacho. I presume you are also synchronizing (balancing) the carbs but its hard on the VTR because of its huge carbs to get an appreciable RPM change using the pilot circuit fuel screw and the VTR won't run down at 50 RPM anyway. However, none of the jets (pilot, main or air) don't care what RPM the engine turns... Dropping the revs using the idle fuel screw to 500~600 rpm is low enough to sync; also check balance at 4~5k revs. Set the fuel screws to 2-1/2 turns out +/- a 1/4 turn and fugetaboutit.
You kind of lost me on some of this..... The VTR uses a wasted spark system. The easiest way to prove this is to look at the cam installation procedure. You set the timing mark on the flywheel to TDC of the cylinder you are setting but there is no mention of checking the ignition rotor position because it doesn't matter.

Now for the 50rpm mentioned, You set the pilots by turning them in until you get a 50 rpm drop and then you open them 1\2 turn.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Superstock

if your coils fired once every 4 revolutions you would not be able to start the bike...
Old 03-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
Do the coils fire on both the compression and the exhaust stroke?
Yes.

Rex
Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by maverick
you know I haven't seen anything in the book, and normally I would say no, seeings how it has a coil per cylinder
I didn't see anything either, nor did a search here turn anything up. My timing light doesn't like the multi-spark system I have on the Healey and at first, that's what I figured the hawk had. Talking to a friend about it, he mentioned his Harley triggers a spark every time the piston approaches TDC.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
The ignition signal is generated off the crank, not the cam...
Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If you search for "wasted spark" you can find a few mentions deep in threads that this bike sparks on both power and exhaust strokes.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
How often do coils spark?

Every single time, of course. Otherwise, the bike wouldn't run.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:52 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
You kind of lost me on some of this..... The VTR uses a wasted spark system. The easiest way to prove this is to look at the cam installation procedure. You set the timing mark on the flywheel to TDC of the cylinder you are setting but there is no mention of checking the ignition rotor position because it doesn't matter.

Now for the 50rpm mentioned, You set the pilots by turning them in until you get a 50 rpm drop and then you open them 1\2 turn.
What I was trying to say is it is neigh impossible to get a appreciable rpm drop (no where near 50) turning in the fuel screws.

Originally Posted by maverick
if your coils fired once every 4 revolutions you would not be able to start the bike...
In a 4-cycle engine, each cylinder only requires a ignition spark near TDC on the compression stroke, the other 3 cycles (1.5 revolutions) do not need a spark.

Originally Posted by RCVTR
yep
Old 03-12-2010, 10:15 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

So the coils fire every 1,440 degrees of rotation or 1 time for every 4 rpm,
I think you mean 720°, each stroke being 180°. At least on a standard 4 stroke that doesn't have a waste spark. What a waste.
I presume you are also synchronizing (balancing) the carbs but its hard on the VTR because of its huge carbs to get an appreciable RPM change using the pilot circuit fuel screw and the VTR won't run down at 50 RPM anyway.
I'll take a look at the sync when I'm done adjusting the pilots. The 50 RPM was referring to the RPM change with the bike idling around 1000 RPM.

Set the fuel screws to 2-1/2 turns out +/- a 1/4 turn and fugetaboutit.
That's my main problem with the #45's, I have what feels like a lean spot just as I open the throttle. I have the pilots out about 3¼ to 3½ turns now. I have a Dynajet w/K&N and Micron exhaust to stir the pot also.

Last edited by Gregw; 03-12-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Um... You have a K&N in there and you have a flat spot? How original...

Sorry... Couldn't help myself...
Old 03-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR
I think you missed the point I was trying to make. If this was a single fire motor, you would not only need to know the cylinder was at TDC but also the position of ignition rotor. Which you would need to know in order for the cylinder to fire at TDC on the compression stroke.

The fact that it doesn't matter what position the ignition rotor is in tells me that the coils fire every time the motor reaches TDC or a wasted spark ignition.

Yes I know the motor doesn't fire exactly at TDC it is a example before anyone get to picky.....lol
Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Um... You have a K&N in there and you have a flat spot? How original...

Sorry... Couldn't help myself...
Yes, but my flat spot is in a different spot.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:15 AM
Superstock

So the coils fire every 1,440 degrees of rotation or 1 time for every 4 rpm
actually it's once every 360 degrees, or once every single revolution.