Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

How often do you change your fork oil? what type?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
How often do you change your fork oil? what type?

As stated, How often, and what brand, weight etc....I have gold valves, and springs...oil is the same for past 4 or 5 years....I know it should be changed...also how hard is it to do?????
Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Glad to see you hangin' around again! The biggest pita is to do it right they should come out of the triples and be inverted to dump the old **** out. There was a guy on the VFR forum that was saying he puts new oil in and then pumps them up and down to get all the gunk suspended and then dumps it out again. He does this two - three times then fills with the proper amount. I think your webspace is really cool. Nice job!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:45 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I change mine about every 10,000 miles. You should go with the RaceTech recommended weight, which I think is 10w. Any good fork oil will work, I use Bel-Ray and Honda Pro Oils but many others are good too.

It's not terribly difficult to change the fluid, though it requires removing the forks from the bike to completely drain the old fluid. Don't forget, the oil level is measured with the springs out and the forks fully compressed. That is something that a lot of people get wrong. Don't worry about volume, just go by level.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Thanks guys, I don't know if I am going to mess with that then until end of the riding season...sounds like something for winter...

Jamie, did you move? Thought you were in AL? hmmm...I gotta pop in more often....
Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 AM
SuperBike

Nope, I've lived in this town for 30 of my 33 years on this planet! In fact, I've only been to Alabama once, and that was by mistake (wrong turn at Albuquerque).
Old 03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Nope, I've lived in this town for 30 of my 33 years on this planet! In fact, I've only been to Alabama once, and that was by mistake (wrong turn at Albuquerque).
Well ok then, guess I am on Crack!!

I must have you confussed with another user on here...lol
Old 03-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Superstock

SH1000MA is on a distinguished road
well thats good that i dont have to post this same question, thanks for being helpful
Old 03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by SH1000MA
well thats good that i dont have to post this same question, thanks for being helpful
Yeah, tipically you can do a topic search and find all of your answers...

Speaking of which, I think it is about time for a new "what kind of oil should I use in the Hawk?" Thread...LOL....sorrry gotta..
Old 03-28-2007, 06:08 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
Well ok then, guess I am on Crack!!

I must have you confussed with another user on here...lol
No worries, it happens to us all!
Old 03-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Yes, but now it will drive me crazy til I figure out who it was in AL that used to post here....Was there another Jamie??? Hmmmm
Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 PM
MotoGP

cag was/is from Birmingham but I think he finally concluded the sale of his Superhawk early this season.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
cag was/is from Birmingham but I think he finally concluded the sale of his Superhawk early this season.
Nah, that wasn't him...I am sure it was Jamie...I think he lived in AL, maybe has a second family there, just don't want anyone to know, making us think he has lived in IN for the past 30 years...hmmmmm smells fishy to me...
Old 03-28-2007, 09:10 PM
MotoGP

Your computer has smell simulation. Geez - you were always better than me at this computer stuff!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
Your computer has smell simulation. Geez - you were always better than me at this computer stuff!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Forks like to hide oil so remove the forks and work them in and out until they are dry. Flush them out with brake clean when you're done but try to stay away from the seals. A racers secret is Mobile 1 full synthetic ATF. Its the best 7.5 weight fork oil you can buy. I believe the hawk requires 8w so it just about right. Its about the most expensive ATF out there ($7.50/qt) but much cheaper than full syn motorcycle shop fork oil.
If your seals are leaking or you just want to clean them out saturate a playing card with brake clean and slip it under the seal and twist. Every leaky fork seal I've tried this on stopped leaking.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
Forks like to hide oil so remove the forks and work them in and out until they are dry. Flush them out with brake clean when you're done but try to stay away from the seals. A racers secret is Mobile 1 full synthetic ATF. Its the best 7.5 weight fork oil you can buy. I believe the hawk requires 8w so it just about right. Its about the most expensive ATF out there ($7.50/qt) but much cheaper than full syn motorcycle shop fork oil.
If your seals are leaking or you just want to clean them out saturate a playing card with brake clean and slip it under the seal and twist. Every leaky fork seal I've tried this on stopped leaking.
Serious for a moment folks....Great tip with the playing card, I could see that for sure...

Now back to our regular schduled sarcasim!!!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:31 AM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe it was me???
I have lived in 'Bama all my life. Not a bad place really.

Anyways, I change my fork oil about once/year.
I will generally dump the old oil, add automatic transmission fluid and pump them up and down a bunch of times (off the bike with the caps off) and then invert them and work them up/down a few times and let them stand inverted a while to drain.

I think I have Belray fluid in right now 12.5 wt (Mixed qt of 10wt and qt of 15wt).
Old 03-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Brian A
Maybe it was me???
I have lived in 'Bama all my life. Not a bad place really.

Anyways, I change my fork oil about once/year.
I will generally dump the old oil, add automatic transmission fluid and pump them up and down a bunch of times (off the bike with the caps off) and then invert them and work them up/down a few times and let them stand inverted a while to drain.

I think I have Belray fluid in right now 12.5 wt (Mixed qt of 10wt and qt of 15wt).
Damn it anyway, it was you....Hell I can't keep anything straight anymore...LOL...Of course AL is a great place, I grew up there...LA...(Lower Alabama) Foley/Gulfshores....

Ok, that is what I am hearing from the guys over here, is that they change fork oil about once a year...so I guess I will do it at the end of the season...don't want to clutter up the garage right now...and don't want any down time...
Old 03-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Kicken,

Time to up the meds again.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:39 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
Your technique only cleans out the dust seal, not the oil seal. I don't think a playing card is strong enough to push past the oil seal. Business cards work too, that's an old motocross trick.

ATF is generally 7.5w. RaceTech suggests 10w when used with Gold Valves (read original post). Also, oil weight is a log scale, mixing equal parts of 10w and 15w does not get you 12.5w but rather something less (11.5 I think).
Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Well, in order to correctly figure it out you'd have to know the viscosities at two different temperatures (in cSt). There's a lot of good info at Bob is the Oil Guy Forum.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm too lazy......
Whatever it is, it works OK for me.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Kicken,

Time to up the meds again.
I haven't taken medication in like , a day or two, so zip it...and further more, what was I talking about, or was it you that was talking, and what was it about, is this the hooters girls forum? hmm
Old 03-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
I use Mobil 1 ATF in my dirt bikes, that call for 5 wt. They have GV's that flow better, so the 7.5 works pretty well. Since our unmodded, undersprung, overdamped forks call for 10 wt., I'll try the ATF with my aftermarket springs and see how it does.