Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Coolant change how often, what mix, etc??

Old 04-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Coolant change how often, what mix, etc??

Ok, so how do you know when it is time to flush the radiator, and change out the coolant.....??

I am wanting to use a mix of water and water wetter....I assume the only reason to use anitfreeze is to keep the lines from freezing in cold weather....am I right??

so it should not be a big deal in Texas with our heat to not have antifreeze in the radiator??? again I am asking, cause I don't know.....I just want to learn.....

I took the front fairing off, and checked the coolant, it is very green, so I assume that the original owner used a 50/50 mix....

Any help would be appreciated.....
Old 04-20-2006, 07:30 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Re: Coolant change how often, what mix, etc??

they say for regular green coolant to change it every 2 years in vehicles. 50/50 mix usually is fine for most applications. I put water wetter in my SH when I changed the coolant per the directions and it seems to work.

Rick B
02 SH
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Back Marker

icebud

In fact the coolant ( water wetter,antifreeze, prestone, or any other name ) have also two others functions than only to prevent your fluid to freeze:

1- It help keeping the corosion away from your motor, as you may know that water is not too good on nude metal. Ok most of all parts of our engine are aluminum and/or metal aliage but water can also cause them to wear at long term.

2- And the second property, which is less know, is to increase the coolant mixture ( water + prestone ) boilover point. Water alone is boiling at 100 degree C ( not a big discovery here!! ) but a 50/50 mixture with prestone increase this boiling point to 129C. Even more a mix of 30/70 increase the boilover point to 136C. ( sorry can't find my fahrenheit rules! )

Ok, the anti-freeze capability may not be interesting for you in Texas but I think the boilover increase point maybe usefull as we know that SH is running very warm in traffic!

That was my 2 cents

Cheers
Old 04-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Ah, see I did not know that...boiling point....so the water wetter should also have a higher boiling point...??

since water wetter can be mixed with both water and antifreeze, then a mix with all three might be the way to go, since you only use like 4 cap fulls of the stuff to a quart of water....
Old 04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point

Ethelyne Glycol has a lower freeze temp and higher boiling temp than plain water.
So, as mentioned, you get both winter (freeze) and summer (boil over) protection.
BUT...water has a higher latent heat capacity than EG. Meaning water is a better heat conductor/carrier. Water moves heat better than EG.
If you use too much EG, you might have problems with overheating because the higher concentration of EG can't carry heat away as fast as the proper mixture with water.
Accordingly, the best mix is about 50/50.

Regarding Water Wetter, FWIW:
http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338

Plain tap water can cause problem with calcification and galvanic corrosion in some cases.
Distilled water is the way to go - not tap water.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Back Marker

icebud

Oh! I'm sorry, I though that water wetter was another way to name coolant ( antifreeze ) in english?

So, I don't know for this one, but the thing that is sure it's that a combination of water and coolant ( antifreeze ) increase the boiling point, decrease the freezing point and give a better protection against corosion!

FMI, what's exactly water wetter?

cia
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Brian A....I read that post, man this guy did some research....I must rethink the use of that product....or at least do some research of my own....

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp
this is the site.....

icebud...in english see the above site.....lol....Thanks for the info....