Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Help: Vacuum Lines? Holes at back of Airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Squid

Hardhead is on a distinguished road
Help: Vacuum Lines? Holes at back of Airbox?

I'm at the finishing stages of getting my SHawk on the road but I have a few things that I need to find out before I call it done. It seems the po removed a few hoses and left four small hoses 2 on each side of carbs that exit towards the rear of the carbs, loose (vacuum?). It looks like it may have something to do with emmissions that were removed. There are also 2 holes in the back, bottom side of my airbox about 1/4 in diameter that are not plugged. I don't see any diagrams in the service manual that would help. I have the four hoses plugged for the meantime til someone can point me in the right direction. The bike is running, carbs are synced, new plugs, new tps, but seems to be running a little lean not sure if it needs to be rejetted (excessive backfire through exhuast on decel) or if it's the loose hoses (both?). Bike is stock w/ baffleactomy.

Last edited by Hardhead; 09-02-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Post up some pics.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hardhead
I'm at the finishing stages of getting my SHawk on the road but I have a few things that I need to find out before I call it done. It seems the po removed a few hoses and left four small hoses 2 on each side of carbs that exit towards the rear of the carbs, loose (vacuum?). It looks like it may have something to do with emmissions that were removed. There are also 2 holes in the back, bottom side of my airbox about 1/4 in diameter that are not plugged. I don't see any diagrams in the service manual that would help. I have the four hoses plugged for the meantime til someone can point me in the right direction. The bike is running, carbs are synced, new plugs, new tps, but seems to be running a little lean not sure if it needs to be rejetted (excessive backfire through exhuast on decel) or if it's the loose hoses (both?). Bike is stock w/ baffleactomy.
the hoses on a non california bike after the pair has been removed properly are very sparse

the 2 that hook to the carbs are the fuel bowl vents and then the rear carb haas a vac hose the goes to the petcock then there are 2 drains that go to the red painted part of the tank and the BIG rubber hoses on the carb go to the air box ....i left out the fuel lines
since they kinda explain themsleves
Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Squid

Hardhead is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by filter69
the hoses on a non california bike after the pair has been removed properly are very sparse

the 2 that hook to the carbs are the fuel bowl vents and then the rear carb haas a vac hose the goes to the petcock then there are 2 drains that go to the red painted part of the tank and the BIG rubber hoses on the carb go to the air box ....i left out the fuel lines
since they kinda explain themsleves
I need to take some pics. I have all the hoses hooked up as you describe. From my understanding this is a California bike, it looks as though the po removed I'm guessing the evap system but left the hoses dangling. Bike is running strong but around 6k (this is hard to describe) it changes tone briefly then goes back to normal. It doesn't bog or anything like that.

Last edited by Hardhead; 09-06-2008 at 08:59 AM.