Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Help with stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Squid

59burst is on a distinguished road
Help with stalling problem

I have a 2005 SH that I bought as a leftover lastyear. I have only ridden it 1400 miles since new. Last year, I had no problems at all. This riding season I am experiencing the following: sometimes when I come to a stop, it sputters and stalls. Also it will do it when I am rolling along at parking lot speeds under no power at all. Whenever it stalls the clutch lever is all the way in, and I am not on the throttle at all. The first time it happened I thought maybe my left had was tired, and I didn't have the clutch all the way in. However, since the first time, I have been extremely clutch conscious.
It doesn't stall at every stop, or every time the clutch is all the way in, but it is very annoying.
I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer, becuase it is still under warranty.
I just want to ride, and not have to worry about the bike being tempermental. Can anybody shed a little light on what's going on?

Thanks
Matt
Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
THATS CRAZY I HAVE AN 05 ALSO AND IT DOES THE SAME THING IT IS REALLY ANNOYING
Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Here is a thread on stalling, under some conditions these bikes will do that (mine hasn't yet and I'm not complaining either!) There are more if you use the search feature but this was the most recent I have seen...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...light=stalling
Old 04-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Squid

Thank you. I didn't see that thread before. I should have done a more general search.

It kinda sucks that I have to just deal with the problem, if it is indeed one of the bike's little quirks.

Maybe my expectations of buying a brand new bike were too high, I mean, wanting it to stay running and all.

Oh well. Guess I won't coast to a stop anymore.
I can't afford a different bike right now.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:57 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Mine doesn't do it, but it seems common with for others. You could try upping the idle speed.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
59Burst,

If it's stalling while standing still and you sorta have a "clunk-die" then you're most likely just looking at adjusting the mixture screws a little bit to solve this problem. Do you have any mods - exhaust/filter/jetting - or all stock? Lemme know and I'll give you a good starting point. A carb sync helps with this too.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:54 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
+1 on the idle screw, these are lean out backfires
Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 AM
Squid

Greg -
Bike is all stock. The only thing that was ever done was the 600 mile valve inspection, done by a Honda dealer. When I had that done, they told me it was running like a champ and didn't need any adjustment.

It doesn't do it when it is sitting at idle. Only low speed coasting with the clutch in. Like right before a stop, or at parking lot speed. Otherwise, it runs strong.

Well, it will stall when I start it cold and I don't have the choke pulled all the way out, but that's my fault, not the bikes.

Maybe it does need an idle adjustment.

Matt
Old 04-19-2008, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
What is your idle set at? I had the same problem, so I just bumped up the idle and away it went.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by inderocker
What is your idle set at? I had the same problem, so I just bumped up the idle and away it went.
I have no idea. I presume it's set however the factory sets it up. I don't know if it was adjusted when the dealer checked the valves or not. I wouldn't even know where to look to tell you.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure how other peeps do it, but looking at the Tachometer usually tells me where the idle speed is at... ... with proper carb idle synchronization and pilot mixture screws set for highest/smoothest idle, it is possible to lower the idle speed a little below 1000 rpm without the engine cutting out on it's own. TPS adjustment seems to help as well.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
My take on it is:

First don't coast at more than 20mph. Now mine used to do it when newer and before all the mods. Seems after I jetted and did a good carb sync it didn't do it anymore after that...maybe sometimes if I coast over 50mph or so, but definitely not lower than that. So, you should probably get a good carb sync and have the mixture screws moved to 2 turns out. That *should* fix it, or at least help it. You'll never totally get rid of it so don't get all bummed out about it, just consider it part of the bikes character.

On a side note, part of a defensive riding strategy is to always have the bike in gear anyway. That way if you need to get out of the way of something you can do it "right now".
Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Squid

Tach says 1200 at idle.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Idle tach is good.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:24 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 59burst
Tach says 1200 at idle.
1200? hmm, that's good, even high I'd say.

Mine idles at 900 when warm, and has only stalled on me when I don't choke it right. (and I ride it a lot)

I wonder if the PO did something to mine now.. Jetted etc, though I am 99% sure it is totally stock. Either that or something in my riding habits is unusual.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:30 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
1,200 is right.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Squid

!998VTR100FSuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up I am 100% sure this will fix your issue

I am the original owner of a 1998 Superhawk so I have been through this problem several times.

When the bike stalls out like that it is not a quirk of the bike. The two carbs are out of synchronization. The carbs need to be synced up every 6 to 12 months. You can bring it to the dealer and have them do the job or follow this link for instructions for those do it your self types.

http://home.nycap.rr.com/ghlbo/index.html

click on the VTR1000F link
Then go to Performance and mods
Then go to Carburetor Synchronization on the VTR

I am tired of paying the dealer $100 plus to fix this every year so I just ordered a TwinMax so I can do this myself.

Ride hard and fast but keep the shinny side up.
Good luck,
Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Squid

Thank you. It hasn't done it since I posted the thread, but that is good information to know. Maybe it was just the old gas that I needed to run out. Maybe it's carb sync. Who knows. For now though, I'm riding it.