Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Stalling when coasting with clutch in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:59 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Stalling when coasting with clutch in?

The bike did this twice on a run yesterday, and didn't want to restart easily.

I had to tweak my right mirror a few times and did it by squeezing the clutch in, so I wouldn't get slowed down by engine braking. And the bike died. I'm absolutly sure I didn't let the clutch out by accident.

Its never come close to dying while idling, so I don't quite understand why it would when coasting.

Is there something I'm missing here? Clutch is adjusted somewhat far out, so it should be disengaging easily.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
SuperCock roster
Back Marker

codfish124 is an unknown quantity at this point
crak your idel up to 1300 that make mine do it less i just rev it as it coming down in rpms i dont have much problem any more im just very caushes about it
Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
ok I guess I'll do the honors. this is trademark superhawk. its normal. for some reason, if you try to coast at anything over 40, she will stall. shouldn't be too hard to start up again. I can usually do it before I come to a stop. but relax about it stalling. they all do it.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Squid

SS_Will is on a distinguished road
Agree, before I bumped my idle up to about 1300 it would come close and sometimes would stall, now it does not drop below 1100 RPMs.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:32 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
indeed, well known issue. For some reason my 2000 has never done it, but enough others report it, including the great Hawkrider. So I guess for those who have this issue just down shift and keep it in a gear as you slow down.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:50 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Very large carburetors on this bike, and the stall is a common trait. The best guess I had been given was the loss of velocity through the throats being unable to over come the weak scavenging at small throttle openings. Thus the suggestion to up the idle speed.

However, Mine idles at 900-1,000 and the stall/die symptom has gone away completely. I can't say why for sure, but the abatement happened after the installation of high comp pistons, sport cams, jet kit, TBR exhaust and K&N filter and an in depth dial in.

On a stocker, you might try taking some of the slack out of the throttle cables, resetting the tps then do a perfect carb balance, a jet kit (the factory settings are lean, which aggravates the symptom) and dyno tune.

It was scary for me when the bike was new, a suddenly dead motor combined with a malfunctioning RR stranded me in heavy traffic with no restart. Good luck out there.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:54 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I wonder if the windspeed on the bike is somehow affecting the carb. That's the only thing different than it idling at a standstill, and I don't think it's died then, at least not when I've been 100% sure I didn't let off the clutch.