General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

stalling problems?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 PM
smokinVTR
Squid

sittinxsidewayz is on a distinguished road
stalling problems?!!!

im riding my 99 superhawk and when i get off the throttle and it goes down to idle it will stall out. it doesnt do it every time, jut seems to do it wen it wants, i do have pipes on it and im not sure if the previous owner jetted it. he sed he did but you cant always go by word. can someone help me out here so i can get back on the road before it gets to cold!!!!
thanks,
Chris
Old 10-19-2007, 01:02 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Does it stall out when the bike is cold or hot? Is the gas tank full, 1/2 full or near empty when it stalls?

When you say it goes down to idle, what do you have your idle speed set at and does the needle slide past your set idle speed towards zero?

Also, does it stall whether you roll off hard or gently on the throttle?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:10 PM
smokinVTR
Squid

the gas tank was full maybe 3 quarters and it would do it when i just pull in the clutch and roll or put it in neutral. the bike wa swarm and it wasnt that cold out maybe high 60's
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Mine cut off yesterday too. I had just merged onto the interstate and I pulled the clutch in to see if my chain was dragging cause I had just tightened it and the next thing I knew it was off. It took a few seconds to get started back up. Search the threads...I've seen this discussed before.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:45 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
This is the time of the year that condensates can be a problem. KC996 says a little SeaFoam in every tank takes care of this. This guy is so stingey he uses it by the capful.

I give her a couple glugs and put the can back on the shelf. Helps the bike store for short number of months too.

What does your decel sound like. Is it like steady drums down to an idle and then it dies? Or is it popping, banging like fireworks as it comes down?

Time for a new air filter?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Don't pull in the clutch over 25mph. It will stall. Mine doesn't do it anymore but used to all the time. I have 41000 miles. Maybe that's the answer - more miles?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:51 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
You know the posts and the miles! This is a dog best driven!
Old 10-20-2007, 05:33 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
CV carbs nature, push a slide open with a finger, then let it close, it takes half a second, while you shut the throttle instantly, what happens is that airflow falls to idle and the needle still dump gobs of fuel, over rich --->stall
Solution, take the habit to blip the throttle
Old 10-20-2007, 08:08 AM
smokinVTR
Squid

well when i decelerate its smoooth all the way down the rev's unless i mess with the throttle and make it back fire but thanks for your help guys keep mor eideas comin in!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:30 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

My 98 hawk stalls intermittently when waiting in traffic or at a lite. Especially disconcerting when your waiting to pull into traffic. I haven't resolved the problem yet, but I'm thinking carb syncronization. I used to have a lot of backfiring/popping when decelerating before doing some mods to airbox, de-smog, baffletomy, wire resistor removal, etc. Look at Greg's link above and other sites/info in the tech section of this site.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than us can enlighten us!
Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Test
Squid

vasaq is on a distinguished road
hi
i have the problem too ...sometime in the mornings i would let the engine run for a minute or so ...jump on the bike and put in the first gear...and i would hear this "tissshhhh" and it will die...sometimes when i stand at a red light and try to pull out it will cut too....

another problem i am having at lights is ..when i try to take off, instead of going "vrooooooom" ....she does a "dudududud...drr...dudud..drr...dud..drr...drrrroo ooom"...
(this is kinda silly but i dont see how else i can explain this)
after it does this it runs fine for a while and sometimes it happens in higher gears too...
its kinda scary at the lights

can anyone offer some suggestions?

cheers
hari
Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Test
Squid

vasaq is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
My 98 hawk stalls intermittently when waiting in traffic or at a lite. Especially disconcerting when your waiting to pull into traffic. I haven't resolved the problem yet, but I'm thinking carb syncronization. I used to have a lot of backfiring/popping when decelerating before doing some mods to airbox, de-smog, baffletomy, wire resistor removal, etc. Look at Greg's link above and other sites/info in the tech section of this site.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than us can enlighten us!
can u read my mesage and tellme if this is similar to ur problem ?
Old 10-24-2007, 11:08 AM
MotoGP

hari,

I don't know for sure what your problem is but it's not the same as mine. Mine has never stuttered pulling out and at higher speeds.

If you have skills that allow you to work on your hawk, check the plugs, wires, air filter, petcock, etc., because it's likely something simple. If not, have someone local check it out for you.

Otherwise, maybe other will chime in???
Old 10-25-2007, 04:44 AM
Squid

hymey is on a distinguished road
Try syncing the carbs first. There is a breather relocation mod on Gregs sight to help with stalling although I found the only way to prevent this is to not only sync the carbs but the main thing is the mixtures in both front and rear cylinders have to be spot on. This means that Your front and rear mixture screws will be different settings. i.e. 2.5 turns front 3 turns rear this is only an example. 1st sync the carbs. Disconnect one lead and run the engine at idle adjust the mixture screw in and then screw out until the highest idle is obtained. Now do the same for the other cylinder and you will have a nice idle....Note you will have to redo the carb sync again as it will be out slightly after adjustment.

A competent dyno tuner will use a wide band sensor for each cylinder to adjust each cylinders fuel mixtures spot on to obtain the best idle possible.

Due to having a near 2 inch CV carb for each 500cc pot is a little overkill also meaning that low speed tuning is harder. My personel belief is that the vtr motor would benefit with smaller carburettors which would further improve low speed vacuum. Hence smoother running.

A similiar procedure is outlined in the manual....

Cheers

Joel
Old 10-25-2007, 09:29 AM
MotoGP

Thanks Joel,

sounds like you have some experience with this. From what I'm reading here, everything is tied together and there is a sequence that needs to be followed-------Pipes, airbox/filter, jetting, carb sync, mixture/idle adjust, carb sync again, and finally TPS adjustment.

guess I'll make a carb sync tool (ozfirestorm)and get to work.

aper-she-ate-it!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Squid

Need-For-Speed is on a distinguished road
My bike would stall at lights to a fellow S/H rider asked me what type of gas I was using? Only the best for my baby premiem he sed he had the same thing happen to him so he went to plus and no more probloms so I gave it a try and I think my bike has stalled only once sence (and it might have been my bad...lol). I still use the good stuff when I go out for a hard allday twistie ride but for every day riding plus seems to be the way to go.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:07 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Your tshhhh sounds like a massive vacuum leak, check your carbs for proper seating in their boots, all the hoses need to be tight. Your stumbling sounds like lean idle, is the WOT ok ?? If so definitely vacuum leak
Old 12-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Mine died a couple times slowing for a light when I first got the bike. Upped the idle speed a tick and not a problem since.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:12 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Man, the institutional memory here is soft. This is a well known problem due to the difficulty of maintaining air velocity in our big *** carbs. Lots of people have lots of ideas about how to fix it and the factory put a reducer in the throat in later years (with limited success.) If you do a search here, you'll find all sorts of cottage cures., but I've found the problem almost never occurs if the idle is set 100-200 rpm higher than the spec.

This was talked about endlessly in the Superhawk community in 98-2,000 when the bike was still selling in quantity.