Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Help prevent getting rear ended.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:11 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Cool Help prevent getting rear ended.

I just installed a neat little flashing module for my brake lights. I hit the brakes and my brake lights now flash 3X and then hold steady for 3.5 seconds.....the lights continually cycle like this as i hold the brake. I am very happy with the results! I feel more comfortable already.

http://www.signaldynamics.com/

Its the BACK OFF brake light signal module on this site. I bought it at my local bike shop for 35 bux.

Last edited by j shizzy wizzy; 08-21-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Back Marker

Karbon is on a distinguished road
Thats great and all, lighting theoretically should do its job. Just don't rely on gimmicks to save you. The truth is there is no way to prevent getting rear ended. The best you can do is to be vigilant of your six at times where traffic is coming to a slow or stop, have an escape route planned and position yourself in manner that causes least damage.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up flashers r good

Good job, I installed one on my VTR awhile back. I also wired in two led lights that flash when braking. Like Karbon said.......we can't depend on gadjets and gizmos so save are bacon.....so look out.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
leds

Here's a pic.....
Originally Posted by badboyrr
Good job, I installed one on my VTR awhile back. I also wired in two led lights that flash when braking. Like Karbon said.......we can't depend on gadjets and gizmos so save are bacon.....so look out.
Attached Thumbnails Help prevent getting rear ended.-dscn5280.jpg  
Old 08-23-2010, 09:10 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

I don't think its a gimmick at all. a flashing red light will attract attention. will it eliminate the threat? of course not.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
I don't think its a gimmick at all. a flashing red light will attract attention. will it eliminate the threat? of course not.

At night, it will also cause drunks to target fix on it. Its the same reason CHP no longer puts on their flashing and hazz lights on when they make a stop. Well, none that I see in CA anyway.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Karbon
At night, it will also cause drunks to target fix on it. Its the same reason CHP no longer puts on their flashing and hazz lights on when they make a stop. Well, none that I see in CA anyway.
Well then, I guess we would all be better off having no taillights at all.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by killer5280

no, you're better off assuming your tail lights don't work at all. That is to say, assume you are invisible.

Its a different animal out here in CA, for daily commuters especially.

As I said, do the things you gotta do to make yourself visible, but have no faith in gadgets and gimmicks. Put ZERO trust in the cagers around you. Remember you are operating in an environment not design for you.

Fact is, people in cars aren't looking for you. And if they look at you, they don't recognize you as a threat-object.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Squid

zwoehr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
That's apparently the conclusion around here. Arrived at by commitee, Yay! Personally I think it is a good idea.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
The best method to avoid getting rear ended is thus:

Watch behind you until the car approaching comes to a complete stop.

Leave yourself a way out with the bike in gear.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:03 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RWhisen

^^^^
This +1000.

Until you've heard tires screech to a halt behind you or you've literally missed a rear ending by mere seconds/feet you will not understand the why you truly should not put faith in gadgets.

Last edited by Karbon; 08-25-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RWhisen

Old 08-25-2010, 02:00 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
no, you're better off assuming your tail lights don't work at all. That is to say, assume you are invisible.

Its a different animal out here in CA, for daily commuters especially.

As I said, do the things you gotta do to make yourself visible, but have no faith in gadgets and gimmicks. Put ZERO trust in the cagers around you. Remember you are operating in an environment not design for you.

Fact is, people in cars aren't looking for you. And if they look at you, they don't recognize you as a threat-object.
I agree, and I do assume my taillights don't work. I would also never trust my life to a lighting setup, although anything that helps get noticed is good.
I don't know how different it is in CA than it is here in GA. I'm sure it is somewhat different, but we have lots of traffic and the roads are filled with texting/distracted/indifferent/discourteous drivers in addition to people from third world countries who appear to have never operated anything beyond a goat cart in their lives.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:55 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Until you've heard tires screech to a halt behind you or you've literally missed a rear ending by mere seconds/feet you will not understand the why you truly should not put faith in gadgets.
I never heard anything last March until the crunch of impact, then I was looking at the sky while being ejected horizontally off the rear of my bike.

No super, get the other driver's attention safety device would have helped me, since the other driver had been looking sideways, checking out a girl riding a bicycle on the sidewalk.

I still have the big, ugly stock turn signals for improved visibility when making a left turn. But I think I'll pass on modulating headlights and brake lights.

On a side note...I had a CHP for an instructor in Traffic School about 30 years ago. He said that if you are ever broken down on the side of the freeway, don't turn on your hazard flashers. They are a magnet for other drivers, especially drunks. He recommended getting out of the car and away from it until help arrives.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Back Marker

996thehawk is on a distinguished road
I just installed a neat little flashing module for my brake lights. I hit the brakes and my brake lights now flash 3X and then hold steady for 3.5 seconds.....the lights continually cycle like this as i hold the brake. I am very happy with the results! I feel more comfortable already.

Signal Dynamics Corporation 1-800-785-1814 | Motorcycle Safety Lights | Break Light Signal Module | Motorcycle LED Lighting | Signal Dynamics - Creator of BackOFF

Its the BACK OFF brake light signal module on this site. I bought it at my local bike shop for 35 bux.
Hey, I was thinking of getting this for my newly purchased Superhawk. I was just curious... how hard was it to install? Any modifications needed or is it pretty much plug-n-play? Thanks alot.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
I watch the mirrors and flash the brake lights manually. Someone here had said holding the brakes on can leave deposits from the pads on the rotors. Seems this can make it feel like warped rotors or pulsing. My bike does this.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:32 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Check yo' six...
Old 06-21-2013, 06:42 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I do agree the flashing lights help. If you ever were in traffic behind someone with the priority type lights you surely noticed it. Thats why I got mine.

Also, around 90% of motorcycle impacts are the bike hitting something moving forward, so you are wasting attention staring behind you. Your dime is better spent looking forward.

This too is why I just go between cars to the front. I have done this and had the last car get creamed by another car, so glad I wasnt there.

Here is mine.

From my limited (kidding) traffic riding, they get all but the total morons attention.

Besides, shizzy, no way will anyone hit you in that giant chicken suit. Unless they are laughing too hard to brake.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 06-21-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:59 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

The chicken suit was the first safety measure.... the flasher module was the second!

yes, the flasher module is a very simple install. comes with instructions.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Squid

Mvanriel60 is on a distinguished road

Signal Dynamics Corporation - The Makers of BackOFF Products

can you point out a picture of which wires ypu connected to it. I just bought mine today but sooo many wires
Old 12-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mvanriel60
can you point out a picture of which wires ypu connected to it. I just bought mine today but sooo many wires
I've installed many dozens of these on different bikes..
Part of the install difference is which version of Back Off you bought and then how you want the light to flash.

There are several models, some that are "Dumb" and just flash a pattern when brake lights come on, some are "smart" and take a signal from speed sensor
What back off model did you get? and which flash patter do you want to use of those available for that back off model?
Tell me that and I'll give you specifics of wires to use and where to pick them up at.

And no matter what, DO NOT USE the 3M scotch Lock included, throw them in the trash can
Old 12-18-2017, 12:41 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
I've installed many dozens of these on different bikes..
Part of the install difference is which version of Back Off you bought and then how you want the light to flash.

There are several models, some that are "Dumb" and just flash a pattern when brake lights come on, some are "smart" and take a signal from speed sensor
What back off model did you get? and which flash patter do you want to use of those available for that back off model?
Tell me that and I'll give you specifics of wires to use and where to pick them up at.

And no matter what, DO NOT USE the 3M scotch Lock included, throw them in the trash can
i picked up the dumb one today.it's the original back off module. Though once i got it home and opened i saw where the price tag was covering important info.might not work with led flashers. So returning this to get a smart one that works with led
Old 12-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

i picked up the dumb one today.it's the original back off module. Though once i got it home and opened i saw where the price tag was covering important info.might not work with led flashers. So returning this to get a smart one that works with led
The Back Off modules do not have any interaction or connection to turn signals.
The original Back off had only two connections, Ground, and brake wire signal wire from the brake light circuit
If you have two LED brake light bulbs, you can still use the original Back off if you use a LED light resister in line as you would with LED turn signals and a non LED flasher.

If you have incandescent brake light bulbs, that original Back off modual will work with no other install items.
The wire from the brake switch is cut. the side coming from the brake light switch goes to the red wire on the BO module , and the taillight side of that OEM brake wire connects to the BO module white wire with red stripe

Last edited by E.Marquez; 12-18-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Squid

The Back Off modules do not have any interaction or connection to turn signals.
The original Back off had only two connections, Ground, and brake wire signal wire from the brake light circuit
If you have two LED brake light bulbs, you can still use the original Back off if you use a LED light resister in line as you would with LED turn signals and a non LED flasher.

If you have incandescent brake light bulbs, that original Back off modual will work with no other install items.
The wire from the brake switch is cut. the side coming from the brake light switch goes to the red wire on the BO module , and the taillight side of that OEM brake wire connects to the BO module white wire with red stripe
ok so let's go into this cluster **** i have.
I have an integrated led turn signal cheap ebay one im supposing( came on bike. It has the original oem plugged up to right side of bike) my running lights and brake lights work with integrated.
so i bought some cheap led blinkers and connected them up so I have blinkers.
They blink fast but i dont care because its a little more visible for cars..
i honestly dont know what type of setup it is Turn signal and brake light

Old 12-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

OK, so you have an LED brake light then... You can get a Back off XP and it will work with that LED, or you can add a resister to the circuit so the brake light circuit pulls enough power to activate the back off modal
Old 12-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

The brake wire should be green with yellow dots..but test with meter or test light.
Should be a green wire to the bulb or now LED unit that is ground, brown that is 12v key on for the tail light, and green with yellow dots that is for the brake light filament in a stock set up or sensor wire for the LED unit.
If you use that Old model Back off, you will need to add a 50 watt load resister like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-50W-6ohm....c100506.m3226
all it does is "use" the wattage the 21 watt incandescent bulb would have
Old 12-18-2017, 03:06 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
riders need as much in their favor as they can get
avoiding traffic congested areas
diligence and being aware
lighting that gets attention
Old 12-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Squid

The brake wire should be green with yellow dots..but test with meter or test light.
Should be a green wire to the bulb or now LED unit that is ground, brown that is 12v key on for the tail light, and green with yellow dots that is for the brake light filament in a stock set up or sensor wire for the LED unit.
If you use that Old model Back off, you will need to add a 50 watt load resister like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-50W-6ohm....c100506.m3226
all it does is "use" the wattage the 21 watt incandescent bulb would have
yes i am going to pick up the. Xp later on in the week.honda dealer owed me money so no point in spending my own. When i get the xp ill let you know when i need help on install lol
Old 12-18-2017, 03:46 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

yes i am going to pick up the. Xp later on in the week.honda dealer owed me money so no point in spending my own. When i get the xp ill let you know when i need help on install lol
Take a look at the install now, see if you have any questions.
https://store-wfdoukr.mybigcommerce....20Off%20XP.pdf
Or besides the XP, there is the "hold" version which i just did a few installs for last month https://store-wfdoukr.mybigcommerce....structions.pdf