Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Cutting out when warm

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 06:59 AM
Squid

Stratman
Cutting out when warm

Hi guys. My FireStorm (as they are this side of the water) has a very annoying problem.

Originally she cut out 3 miles from home after spluttering and dying. Waited a while and I could start her again, but after 1/2 mile or so, started spluttering again. Got her home by revving the **** off her and slipping the clutch. 60 mph in 2nd with open cans does sound a trifle loud, but never mind.

Checked fuel tap and diaphragm - diaphragm looked a bit iffy so replaced it - ran fine for 500 miles over a few trips then the other day - same problem. Basically, if I start her from cold then let her warm up on the drive, she'll start to splutter and die. I don't think it can be fuel anymore because she'll start straightaway after a few minutes and if the float bowls were empty it would take a bit of cranking before they filled again- anyway, she doesn't start with a cough like it does when you've run out of juice.

I've taken off the battery and cleaned the terminals. Also removed the rear cowl and checked regulator terminals - they all seem OK. The regulator does get VERY hot - should it?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
R/R's typically shut down the motor and electrical system when they fail and yes they do get hot. My gsxr r/r has massive finning compared to any honda unit. At 5k rpm you should have a reasonably steady 13.5-15.5 volts at the battery.

Do the euro bikes have coolant lines to the carbs?
Old 06-30-2006, 08:48 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Stratman
Hi guys. My FireStorm (as they are this side of the water) has a very annoying problem.

Originally she cut out 3 miles from home after spluttering and dying. Waited a while and I could start her again, but after 1/2 mile or so, started spluttering again. Got her home by revving the **** off her and slipping the clutch. 60 mph in 2nd with open cans does sound a trifle loud, but never mind.

Checked fuel tap and diaphragm - diaphragm looked a bit iffy so replaced it - ran fine for 500 miles over a few trips then the other day - same problem. Basically, if I start her from cold then let her warm up on the drive, she'll start to splutter and die. I don't think it can be fuel anymore because she'll start straightaway after a few minutes and if the float bowls were empty it would take a bit of cranking before they filled again- anyway, she doesn't start with a cough like it does when you've run out of juice.

I've taken off the battery and cleaned the terminals. Also removed the rear cowl and checked regulator terminals - they all seem OK. The regulator does get VERY hot - should it?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!
have you checked your coils? parked mine overnight one time,came out next am and bike ran on 1 cyl.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Next time it does this, choke it some and see if that improves the condition. If it does, then I think you're looking at vacuum lock in the tank due to a kinked or clogged vent hose. You can also tell this if you stop the bike and listen closely while opening the tank filler. If you hear a rush of air at all, this is the problem. Then, upon restarting, the bike will run fine for a while.

If choking doesn't help, it's most likely electrical.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:24 AM
Squid

DavidH1172
Did you try the idle screw?