SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Cutting out when warm (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/cutting-out-when-warm-9055/)

Stratman 06-30-2006 06:59 AM

Cutting out when warm

Hi guys. My FireStorm (as they are this side of the water) has a very annoying problem.

Originally she cut out 3 miles from home after spluttering and dying. Waited a while and I could start her again, but after 1/2 mile or so, started spluttering again. Got her home by revving the **** off her and slipping the clutch. 60 mph in 2nd with open cans does sound a trifle loud, but never mind.

Checked fuel tap and diaphragm - diaphragm looked a bit iffy so replaced it - ran fine for 500 miles over a few trips then the other day - same problem. Basically, if I start her from cold then let her warm up on the drive, she'll start to splutter and die. I don't think it can be fuel anymore because she'll start straightaway after a few minutes and if the float bowls were empty it would take a bit of cranking before they filled again- anyway, she doesn't start with a cough like it does when you've run out of juice.

I've taken off the battery and cleaned the terminals. Also removed the rear cowl and checked regulator terminals - they all seem OK. The regulator does get VERY hot - should it?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

superbling 06-30-2006 08:17 AM

R/R's typically shut down the motor and electrical system when they fail and yes they do get hot. My gsxr r/r has massive finning compared to any honda unit. At 5k rpm you should have a reasonably steady 13.5-15.5 volts at the battery.

Do the euro bikes have coolant lines to the carbs?

hawxter996 06-30-2006 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Stratman
Hi guys. My FireStorm (as they are this side of the water) has a very annoying problem.

Originally she cut out 3 miles from home after spluttering and dying. Waited a while and I could start her again, but after 1/2 mile or so, started spluttering again. Got her home by revving the **** off her and slipping the clutch. 60 mph in 2nd with open cans does sound a trifle loud, but never mind.

Checked fuel tap and diaphragm - diaphragm looked a bit iffy so replaced it - ran fine for 500 miles over a few trips then the other day - same problem. Basically, if I start her from cold then let her warm up on the drive, she'll start to splutter and die. I don't think it can be fuel anymore because she'll start straightaway after a few minutes and if the float bowls were empty it would take a bit of cranking before they filled again- anyway, she doesn't start with a cough like it does when you've run out of juice.

I've taken off the battery and cleaned the terminals. Also removed the rear cowl and checked regulator terminals - they all seem OK. The regulator does get VERY hot - should it?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

have you checked your coils? parked mine overnight one time,came out next am and bike ran on 1 cyl.

Hawkrider 06-30-2006 12:25 PM

Next time it does this, choke it some and see if that improves the condition. If it does, then I think you're looking at vacuum lock in the tank due to a kinked or clogged vent hose. You can also tell this if you stop the bike and listen closely while opening the tank filler. If you hear a rush of air at all, this is the problem. Then, upon restarting, the bike will run fine for a while.

If choking doesn't help, it's most likely electrical.

DavidH1172 07-01-2006 02:24 AM

Did you try the idle screw?