Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bike cutting out when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Squid

MarkGnarsby is on a distinguished road
Bike cutting out when hot.

Hey so my bike started doing this the other day. As i was riding home the bike started to cut out when i would run higher than 3 grand. i could pull the clutch in and rev it up to 8 though... i stopped then when i went to start it again it clicked then died and none of the lights would come on. So i pulled the main fuse and it was fine and put it back in and it ran fine after that. so i rode it for a little bit the next day, did my daily routine, and when i was heading home this time it would barely let me get passed 2 grand before cutting out and dying completely. then i would go to turn it back on and i'd have to cycle the kickstand and wiggle it. but same thing if i pulled in the clutch it would rev right up. it seems to only be doing this when it gets hot enough for the fans to kick on. I just replaced the Regulator so i know its not that. would this be the cdi box? kickstand sensor? both? Any help is very much appreciated.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MarkGnarsby
Hey so my bike started doing this the other day. As i was riding home the bike started to cut out when i would run higher than 3 grand. i could pull the clutch in and rev it up to 8 though... i stopped then when i went to start it again it clicked then died and none of the lights would come on. So i pulled the main fuse and it was fine and put it back in and it ran fine after that. so i rode it for a little bit the next day, did my daily routine, and when i was heading home this time it would barely let me get passed 2 grand before cutting out and dying completely. then i would go to turn it back on and i'd have to cycle the kickstand and wiggle it. but same thing if i pulled in the clutch it would rev right up. it seems to only be doing this when it gets hot enough for the fans to kick on. I just replaced the Regulator so i know its not that. would this be the cdi box? kickstand sensor? both? Any help is very much appreciated.
Well, it could be the kickstand switch making the engine cut out from vibration, that's a known issue... But it seems unlikely to be the issue really, as it's not temperature related... Still a good thing to test, by temporarily disabling the switch by putting a paperclip or similar across the poles in the connector...

My guess is that it's the petcock, old and dried membrane, not flowing properly, and it's showing up only when you have the bike warmed up and twisting it... Then it would have problems under load, but rev freely once you pull the clutch...
Old 04-13-2013, 08:50 AM
Squid

merckid is on a distinguished road
check the coils as well. when cold they may be fine, but as they heat up there may be a break in the windings thats causing the bike to cut out under load.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:58 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
In your description you dont really mention any difference in cold and hot operation. You just say 3 grand. So are you saying it rips when cold and this when hot? What kind of temps are you talking about?

Do you have a digital or analog temp meter?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Squid

MarkGnarsby is on a distinguished road
Smokinjoe, it has an analog temp. gauge so i really don't know but when it gets passed the half way mark is when it starts doing this. and yes it rips just fine when its cold...
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you did any other work recently that required removal of the tank, you may be looking at PVLIR.