Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb set up

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 PM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the info and help I think I will start with this setup as it is leaner than what I have know. I can play with the choke to see if i need to be richer. will keep you informed
  1. BMC Street Filter
  2. MR Honda Stacks
  3. Factory Springs
  4. Shim stock needles front .30 and rear .40.
  5. 1 air hole slides
  6. 45s jets
  7. Honda 175 front
  8. Honda 178 rear

Last edited by Stumpy; 10-04-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:09 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Hey all, I put this up in its own thread (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...o-carbs-31206/) but posting my quandry here may be better. I have ready through the baseline Stumpys question above. I have some sort of a jet kit as I have a needle I assume a FP kit (the needle has 5 slots). For the rear its clipped on the 3rd from the top (middle) with a shim under it, a 178 Main and a 50 Pilot. The front is the same with needle position, a main that says "Factory 172k" and a 50 pilot. I am planning on dropping the pilots to 48 or 45. Does that sound right? I am running a paper HiFlo filter and stock stacks. Should I also move the front main down to 175 as OEM?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:47 PM
BlueBirdin'
Squid

Storm_Chaser is on a distinguished road
Can anybody get a set of calipers on a spare needle for both inch and metric measurement to spec the true size ID shim that should be ran on these, in addition to an OD of the base in same?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
If you are asking about what size shims need to be, #4 washers work well.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Squid

Olafsson is on a distinguished road
Hello
I´m new here, I have got a 98 VTR 1000 last week , really good condition ,23000 mil , with a open system on it, stock filter, don´t know more at this moment.

I´m new to twins, love the sound, but it feels like it´s not much power in the bottom at 2000-3500 rpm, compared to my RF 900 it feels less powerful , According to tests I´t should be powerful to do a power welly on 2 gear but there is no way on this bike.
Can some one let me know what to expect??

The choke don´t stay open by it self I have to hold it is that correct function on the VTR?

I will do the suggested mod in the thread this winter, I have not opened the bike yet but I can´t find info where to connect the houses for sink carbs. I can´t find that in Service manual either , is there some pictures on where to connect?? I want to have all the necessary hardware at home before I start

Thanks From COLD Sweden
Tomas
Old 12-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Squid

basford is on a distinguished road
I did the 48 polit jet, .04 shims and TPC adjustment and it made a world of diffence in crusing around. Stopped the coughing surging and is smooth. I'm not sure what the true potential is for these bikes either, but mine too doesnt take off it get over 4K or so.
tighten the set nut on choke to get it to stay on.
For sinking carbs you can use the vac line leading to the fuel petcock for the rear, the front is a pain. There is an allen bolt just below the rubber boot were the carb slides in on the right side of the engin. I've been putting the fitting on with the carbs off. After I sinking I have been using some rubber tubing over the head of the allen bolt to fish the bolt back into the vacume hole so I dont have to pull everything apart again.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Squid

basford is on a distinguished road
Stock cab setup did the #48 idlel jets and set front and back needles up 0.04 and did TPC to 490, have stock airfilter, and devil upswept exaust.
Bike runs nice and is smooth. I commute with it and like lower end performance.
Two questions
1) What does setting the rear needle up to 0.06 do? (leaving the front at 0.04) Should I raise it?
2) Will putting a taller stack on the front carb give me anything. (to clarify, is the post about a longer stack is refering to getting a second stack to match the rear one? sorry to sound dumb but the stack is what bolts between the airbock housing and the filter the plastic piece that has the tabs that cover the screws holding the airbox to the carbs?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:23 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ddavi280
Great thread! My stock filter is on the way, in the mean time I took painters tape and covered about 25-30% of the K&N filter to increase vacuum a little and WOW what a difference. The bike runs fantsastic all the way through the rpm compared to just the K&N.Looking forward to my first real Hawk ride today.
I am going to try this. My stock filter is in bad shape and i got a K&N that was unused.

I also have done all of this mod but have to run 3 turns out to get a steady 4k rpm cruse without surging. Im in New Zealand at sea level so this may have something to do with it. I will try going up one size main and start again from scratch.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:11 AM
gab
Squid

gab is on a distinguished road
hi guys i just finish tune my carbs with a wideband. well fine tuning since i was pretty close before.

1999 with stock engine
airbox mod with bigger opening and no snorkel
velocity stacks
mig slip on
42 slows
178/180
needle 20 shim F & R
one hole in the slide both f and r
thumbs fuel srew

Last edited by gab; 07-28-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Squid

quillinsmat is on a distinguished road
so i did a major engine rebuild a couple years ago and never having owned anything with carbs before when it got to the tuning stage i took it to the local honda shop. They asked if they could put in a KN filter and dynojet kit, i hadn't found this forum yet and i just told them " make it run". so now after tearing into my carbs a couple times for cleaning e4tc. since and having read (almost) this whole sticky i'm wondering what would the drawbacks be of following hawks setup but using the DJ spring? It's way easier to install the slides with that short spring lol.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Some have gotten them or say they have gotten them to work but that hasn't been my experience.

The short springs cause a rich mid-range condition IMHO.

The English guys that do run the DJ kits run the stock long springs and don't drill the extra lift hole and report good results.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:39 PM
SuperSport

I use 8541Hawks set up now as my base line. I know the motor runs very well from there so any changes that dont work I go back to it.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:21 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Some have gotten them or say they have gotten them to work but that hasn't been my experience.

The short springs cause a rich mid-range condition IMHO.

The English guys that do run the DJ kits run the stock long springs and don't drill the extra lift hole and report good results.
A question Hawk. As it seems the slides open a bit fast making for a rich mid range, would packing the spring for more preload help? Just a random thought.

And is a DJ needle a lot different to a stock one?
Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
A question Hawk. As it seems the slides open a bit fast making for a rich mid range, would packing the spring for more preload help? Just a random thought.

And is a DJ needle a lot different to a stock one?
Well you could try it but I believe they would still open too fast. The folks that run them (that I know of) run the stock springs and also do not drill the extra lift hole but I haven't tried that combo and it has been around 16 years since I pulled the DJ kit out of my bike.

As for the needle, they look very similar but you would need something like an optical comparator to really know for sure. IMHO I think the DJ needles have a slightly larger O.D. which them allows for them to run a larger main jet so you can say...oh my mains are bigger than yours.....like it really matters but you know how people are about stuff like that.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 PM
SuperSport

Well you could try it but I believe they would still open too fast. The folks that run them (that I know of) run the stock springs and also do not drill the extra lift hole but I haven't tried that combo and it has been around 16 years since I pulled the DJ kit out of my bike.

As for the needle, they look very similar but you would need something like an optical comparator to really know for sure. IMHO I think the DJ needles have a slightly larger O.D. which them allows for them to run a larger main jet so you can say...oh my mains are bigger than yours.....like it really matters but you know how people are about stuff like that.
Good point on the needles, DJ kits do use big mains. I may pop round to a carb guy I know and see if he has some stronger springs from another model. Just for giggles.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Back Marker

sjscicluna is on a distinguished road
Good point on the needles, DJ kits do use big mains. I may pop round to a carb guy I know and see if he has some stronger springs from another model. Just for giggles.
Love your work keep us posted wight the results
Old 07-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Mike,

I just completed this setup yesterday, using single lift hole mod front and rear for Dr.Honda velocity stacks. I am also using 48 slow jets with stock main jets, stock needles and springs, .040 lift on the rear needle and .030 on the front.

Initial impression from first ride today is very satisfying. Bike seems to pull strongly across the entire RPM range. 6th gear roll on from 70 to 90 mph was surprisingly quick. I did not feel ready to run WOT yet as the front end was getting very "light" in first and second at a freeway on ramp.

The bike seems to warm up quicker but then runs a few degrees cooler than normal once fully warmed. The only thing I have not sorted yet is attaining a strong steady idle rpm before it's fully warmed from a cold start. When I was opening vac ports to attach synchronizer tool idle immediately jumped so I probably set idle mixture too rich. Have to travel on business Monday &Tuesday so likely will not sort this part til later in the week.

Thanks for providing your write up for this level of tuning. I am glad I spent the time to do this, it was worth it.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:51 PM
Squid

ssscottyyy is on a distinguished road
So my bike is suffering from the dreaded "clunk-die." When it doesn't fully die, it makes the bike give an aggressive jerk at low speed rolling or turning, and then continues on. Other times the bike will just cut off and will start right back up when hitting the starter no problem.

So now I am going to attempt to mess with the carbs. Ordered #48 series 21 jets, will be shimming the stock needles, and will be adjusting the mixture screws accordingly. Hopefully this will cure the dreaded problem I am having because it really makes me get really annoyed with this bike.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:42 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Make sure to sync your carbs when you're done too. The richer pilots as well as sync'd carbs both in combination both have the biggest effect on my carbs as far as gettting rid of the farts (still happens once every few rides).
Old 07-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
Mike,

I just completed this setup yesterday, using single lift hole mod front and rear for Dr.Honda velocity stacks. I am also using 48 slow jets with stock main jets, stock needles and springs, .040 lift on the rear needle and .030 on the front.

Initial impression from first ride today is very satisfying. Bike seems to pull strongly across the entire RPM range. 6th gear roll on from 70 to 90 mph was surprisingly quick. I did not feel ready to run WOT yet as the front end was getting very "light" in first and second at a freeway on ramp.

The bike seems to warm up quicker but then runs a few degrees cooler than normal once fully warmed. The only thing I have not sorted yet is attaining a strong steady idle rpm before it's fully warmed from a cold start. When I was opening vac ports to attach synchronizer tool idle immediately jumped so I probably set idle mixture too rich. Have to travel on business Monday &Tuesday so likely will not sort this part til later in the week.

Thanks for providing your write up for this level of tuning. I am glad I spent the time to do this, it was worth it.
Glad you had good luck with the set up. Two things, if I read your post right, it is normal for the idle to jump when you open a vac port to hook up the gauge.

Though you still might be rich down low if you ran the pilots at the base line setting. The Dr. Honda stacks normally run with the pilots in 1\2 a turn from the stock plastic stacks.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:28 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Make sure to sync your carbs when you're done too. The richer pilots as well as sync'd carbs both in combination both have the biggest effect on my carbs as far as gettting rid of the farts (still happens once every few rides).
Farts...do you mean the backfiring or do you mean the bike cutting off? My bike farts quite a bit right now. Probably from running lean?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:56 AM
SuperSport

Question Hawk, Im going to do a track day at at a place 1100 feet above sea level. I live in a place on the coast. Reckon I will need to change mains or will leaning off the idle screws will do it?
Old 09-21-2014, 08:28 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Question Hawk, Im going to do a track day at at a place 1100 feet above sea level. I live in a place on the coast. Reckon I will need to change mains or will leaning off the idle screws will do it?
1100ft is not enough to make a difference. I'd just run it as-is and you should be fine.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:30 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road

1) So back to the stock set up or starting point. The problem with a stock bike is it is a bit lean on the bottom and mid-range and pretty close on the top end by what I have seen.

2) Because of the different length velocity stacks what is really going on with the bike is the front cylinder slide opens too quickly causing the front cylinder to go rich in the low to mid-range.
I have read the set up guide several times and the whole thread a couple of times. I have eliminated all the other text to be able to focus on the two quotes I have marked. I don't believe that I'm taking them out of context, but maybe I am.
Number one makes sense to me, by its self. Engine in stock tune is a little lean for best performance. Number two also makes sense, again by its self. When I look at both together they contradict each other.
So the questions are: Is the rich condition in #2 a result of the larger pilots and shimmed needles? Is blocking one hole in the front slide a way fine tuning the change in pilots and needle postilion? Or something else entirely?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
UK Dynojet kits don't even come supplied with Dynojet springs unlike the US Dynojet kits. Go figure...
Guys don't forget that DJ mains are not only on a different measurement scale but have an internally tapered flow rate, unlike Keihin or FP which are equally the same.

(:-})
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Superstock

UK Dynojet kits don't even come supplied with Dynojet springs unlike the US Dynojet kits. Go figure...

Guys don't forget that DJ mains are not only on a different measurement scale but have an internally tapered flow rate, unlike Keihin or FP which are equally the same.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Not enough altitude change to really make much difference.
This is one of the situations where a flo-commander comes in handy to fine tune for the day
Old 09-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by xeris
So the questions are: Is the rich condition in #2 a result of the larger pilots and shimmed needles? Is blocking one hole in the front slide a way fine tuning the change in pilots and needle postilion? Or something else entirely?
The rich condition is caused by the slide opening too fast IMHO.
That is the purpose of plugging one lift hole.

This slows the opening of the slide which leans out the pilot to main transition slightly.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:47 AM
Squid

I can't seem to get the carbs/throttle bodies off my bike. Is there a trick to it? I loosened the rubber boots but still can't seem to get it unstuck
Old 09-28-2014, 07:20 AM
Superstock

Loosen the top clamps on the carb inlet rubber boots. The front one can be got at from the right hand side through a hole in the plastic cowl that sits under the carbs, through the A part of the frame just above the right rad.

The rear can be got to from the left side of the bike near to where the vaccum pipe attaches to the rear cylinder head.

You then pull the carbs from side to side towards the frame and the carbs should easily pop right out their boots.

Quick Reply: Carb set up