Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Best mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Squid
Squid

Jeimuzu is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the welcome.
As far as your posts being harsh, hardly anything insults me personally, I also rarely get involved with internet "arguments" and trolling (seemed to be some in this thread but could just be me) but this time I just felt compelled to say something.
I've been on tons of bike/car threads (I'm VERY experienced with tire and oil threads, haha) and I've seen lots of arguments/heated debates, but the whole time I was reading this it was just crazy.
There was a lot of "no you're wrong cause I'm right" and that never helps anyone. I enjoy a good discussion that brings about FACTS that people can learn from, but mindlessly butting heads is pointless and stupid.
Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, maybe someone will take heed and next time take a breath before posting, who knows.
I plan to stick around because as you said, this site IS super helpful and there's a ton of resources on here, but threads like this just put me off certain topics/posters.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
El Cheapo
Back Marker

cat0020 is on a distinguished road
Looks to me, 2 out of 2 posts from you are judging what other people are doing in this thread... Is that fact or just my observation? Do your posts contribute to topic of thread?

I consider everyone here adult. If my passive aggressiveness upset you, more than likely because what I post is true.

If you are looking for that single best mod for any particular bike, my take would be to tune OEM suspension to suit your needs; and more than likely, our "need" for tuned suspension changes from one ride to the next.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
This is not Altar boy Forum.
It is a bunch of adults, opinionated, some experienced, some not talking about , well mostly Bike stuff, and mostly Superhawk Bike stuff.

If reading these discussions causes a reader to run away and not participate....well, shucks, I guess some other site will have to benefit from their contributions. the rest of the adults will just stick around and enjoy the banter, Heated at times because we are opinionated and believe in what we think we know.

Getting ones pantys in a bunch over what someone says,, well heck,, Im thinking i remember my mommy some 40 years ago having something to say about that... and darn if she was not right.
At the same time, we do not personally attack other users... the idea, plan, MOD can be negatively attacked at will... But lest all refrain from attacking the poster.

This TECH thread has now devolved into a community moan and bitch deal.

If we could....myself included,,, lets get back to Tech here in THIS thread...... all further non tech posts will be removed..

By all means, if someone wants to start a (you guys are all meanies" thread in the off topic forum, we can discuss asshatery there.

Me, Im going out into my garage to work on my SH.. The BEST MOD, is the one Im working on today.... next week whatever Im working on,,, well that'll be the best MOD.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 04-09-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Tires. My ContiMotions were fine and never scared me. My 2cts turn in better and never move on me, inspiring even more confidence. With stock spaghetti suspension.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jeimuzu
Thanks for the welcome.
As far as your posts being harsh, hardly anything insults me personally, I also rarely get involved with internet "arguments" and trolling (seemed to be some in this thread but could just be me) but this time I just felt compelled to say something.
I've been on tons of bike/car threads (I'm VERY experienced with tire and oil threads, haha) and I've seen lots of arguments/heated debates, but the whole time I was reading this it was just crazy.
There was a lot of "no you're wrong cause I'm right" and that never helps anyone. I enjoy a good discussion that brings about FACTS that people can learn from, but mindlessly butting heads is pointless and stupid.
Maybe I shouldn't have said anything, maybe someone will take heed and next time take a breath before posting, who knows.
I plan to stick around because as you said, this site IS super helpful and there's a ton of resources on here, but threads like this just put me off certain topics/posters.
Originally Posted by cat0020
Looks to me, 2 out of 2 posts from you are judging what other people are doing in this thread... Is that fact or just my observation? Do your posts contribute to topic of thread?

I consider everyone here adult. If my passive aggressiveness upset you, more than likely because what I post is true.

If you are looking for that single best mod for any particular bike, my take would be to tune OEM suspension to suit your needs; and more than likely, our "need" for tuned suspension changes from one ride to the next.
Well... Just FYI Jeimuzu, cat0020 and I have very different opinions on part of the tuning... Not all, but part of it... And we express that, and argue our points... But we also agree on some things... And hopefully we both learn something, or at least get the opportunity to look at things from another perspective, as a gain from the discussion...

So, if you don't like that... Well... Tough luck really... I can't and won't do much to change it... We keep it civil around here (mostly) but we express our opinions... I would do the same in person, as on here... I'd tell people when I think they are wrong...

But there's one thing where I'm in total agreement with cat0020... Your post contributes nothing to the topic, it's just comment/judgement on other posters...
Old 05-21-2013, 02:25 PM
drive for pleasure
Squid

Istrijan 1000 is on a distinguished road
suspension kit bought..
wilbers/matris
mounted and finly tuned and adjusted...
diference is enormous!
Now,brake upgrades?any sugestions?was thinking about radial pump from cbr
Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM
Squid

MaineHawk is on a distinguished road
complete NOOB here

Hey all, I'm a complete noob to superhawks, just bought mine today and already love it ( Previous bike 94 CBR600f2). I bought a 2001 model superhawk and i need some sugestions on how to adjust the rear brake for more braking power or the name of a good but cheapish replacement, its definitely not enough and i can see its a common complaint with these bikes. It appears that they previous owner has put on SS brake lines and the top of the front forks look like they have aftermarket damping adjuster ***** that can be turned for softer or harder(anyone know what i might have here) ? Also when the bike is warmed up all the way it still feels like the idle needs to be adjusted up a little is this a hard job ? Also the fuel gauge reads low fuel even when its full any ideas what this might be ? I've got maybe $300 to spend on some mods to this bike but first things to be done are fuel gauge and rear brake so im guessing that will eat most of my $$ for now, any ideas on some DIY mods or adjustments are VERY welcome i have alot of experience working on bikes and cars so there isn't too much that is out of my skill set especially with the massive knowledge base here ! Thanks for any input in advance !
Old 07-01-2013, 06:18 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MaineHawk
Hey all, I'm a complete noob to superhawks, just bought mine today and already love it ( Previous bike 94 CBR600f2). I bought a 2001 model superhawk and i need some sugestions on how to adjust the rear brake for more braking power or the name of a good but cheapish replacement, its definitely not enough and i can see its a common complaint with these bikes. It appears that they previous owner has put on SS brake lines and the top of the front forks look like they have aftermarket damping adjuster ***** that can be turned for softer or harder(anyone know what i might have here) ? Also when the bike is warmed up all the way it still feels like the idle needs to be adjusted up a little is this a hard job ? Also the fuel gauge reads low fuel even when its full any ideas what this might be ? I've got maybe $300 to spend on some mods to this bike but first things to be done are fuel gauge and rear brake so im guessing that will eat most of my $$ for now, any ideas on some DIY mods or adjustments are VERY welcome i have alot of experience working on bikes and cars so there isn't too much that is out of my skill set especially with the massive knowledge base here ! Thanks for any input in advance !

Rear Brake = never use it
Old 07-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Back Marker

Caffeine is on a distinguished road
Rear brakes are not the best but more then adequate, I suggest you start with a basic flush (may be good to flush everything, front brakes back brakes and clutch), maybe the pads are glazed or contaminated, you may want to remove them and scuff them with sand paper.

Fork quick preload adjuster.. ya you can get them.

Ideal adjust is black and can been seen from the right side, looking through the frame at the carbs.. just reach in and turn!

and let me be the first to say it.. if the CCT's have not been swapped put on manual ones ASAP, it's not a question if they will fail, it's just a question of when! And that's a motor job when it happens. '

not saying buy these.. but this is what your looking for
2 Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Honda VTR 1000 Super Hawk | eBay
Old 07-01-2013, 06:28 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Rear Brake = never use it
What he said, mostly all sportbike riders will say the same thing.

I do use mine, but in conjunction with front.

VTRs, I think, are easy to work on get yourself a manual and sort it out. It'll be way cheaper than a moto mech.

And get some HH front brake pads, that's all U'll need to stop.

When U get some $$ - change the suspension to your weight & riding style. I promise U'll thank me

Suspension change = best mod ever

And red is the fastest color
Old 07-01-2013, 07:00 AM
Back Marker

996thehawk is on a distinguished road
Steal braided brake lines. I noticed a huge difference between my bike and my friend's with stock lines. Love my Stayintune Slip-on exhaust.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
MaineHawk, welcome to the forum!

I'm with the other guys. I never use the rear brake on this bike. That being said, I can lock up the rear wheel easily if I ever need to, so I'm not sure what the problem is with yours. Are the calipers just not touching the surface or are the pads inadequate and need to be replaced?

There are a couple of cheapish mods and a bunch of free tune up tips depending on how greasy you want to get. Look into CCT's and R/R on the fourm... these two issues are ones that should be addressed with any newly purchased superhawk.

8541Hawk has a carb setup thread that does well. TPS adjustment. PAIR removal. Shim the rear shock. Headlight relay. These are all cheapy things that I would do.

What money you can spend is probably best spent on suspension like nnjhawk said.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Squid

MaineHawk is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick replies ! *I also only use rear brake in conjunction with front brake( about 70% front 30% rear). I didnt think to check the rear rotor because the pads looked good but im assuming its dirty or glazed. As for the carb adjust ****, is it one **** or two *****(one for each carb?). As for CCT's I have not had the time nor the weather cooperation to pull off all the fairings and look to see what i've got there but are there any tell-tale signs or noises that indicate wearing or broken CCT's? I have no problem spending the $100 and doing the labor for new CCT's I would just love to get through this season if possible ? Any opinions ? My bike sounds just like this And looks almost identical also.
(minus the aftermarket exhaust) No terrible rattling like i had with my CBR before i fixed it. And with the RR problem, does it just quit working all at once or does it work intermittently ? The previous owner used the fact that the bike had a new battery as a selling point, could this be cause for any concern ? Again thanks everyone for the helpful input and the warm welcome ! I LOVE my new HAWK !
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick replies ! *I also only use rear brake in conjunction with front brake( about 70% front 30% rear). I didnt think to check the rear rotor because the pads looked good but im assuming its dirty or glazed. As for the carb adjust ****, is it one **** or two *****(one for each carb?). As for CCT's I have not had the time nor the weather cooperation to pull off all the fairings and look to see what i've got there but are there any tell-tale signs or noises that indicate wearing or broken CCT's? I have no problem spending the $100 and doing the labor for new CCT's I would just love to get through this season if possible ? Any opinions ? My bike sounds just like this And looks almost identical also. 2001 vtr1000 start up - YouTube (minus the aftermarket exhaust) No terrible rattling like i had with my CBR before i fixed it. And with the RR problem, does it just quit working all at once or does it work intermittently ? The previous owner used the fact that the bike had a new battery as a selling point, could this be cause for any concern ? Again thanks everyone for the helpful input and the warm welcome ! I LOVE my new HAWK !
No... There is absolutely no warning on the CCT's... When they start making a noise, the engine is already beyond repair... Either do them now, or start saving for the engine rebuild... It's a lottry with even crappier odds, and crappy winnings...
Old 07-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Okay Okay Okay, just got my Racetech springs on a few weeks ago and installed F4i shock from another forum member that Jamie reworked. Suspension is a great mod but - my black D&D slipons still make her sound bada$$. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Zyclone insert removal.

I didnt ride my bike untill after I fitted Gold valves, springs etc. So removing the Zyclone inserts from my RS3 Yoshi's. Sounds boss now.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:11 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
FOUL..

Try again
Our weapon is fear. Fear and supply.
Our two weapons are fear and supply and ruthless efficiency.
Our three weapons are fear and supply and ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatacal devotion to the pope.
Amongst our weapons..........

Single best mod - suspension. But that's actually two mods - ya gotta do both ends.

G