General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Best mod so far...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:09 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Best mod so far...

I've done a number of small mods to my bike - you can see them in my signature, but after putting my new Sargent on this afternoon and riding aroung for 60+ miles I can tell you this is the best so far.
I'm a cheap bastard so I can hardly believe I shelled out $365 (it was on overstock clearance). I cannot begin to tell you the change. It is like riding a different bike. For me the new seating postion is seems a bit tighter than stock - on the original seat I would move around quite a bit. On the Sargent I don't move - I don't have too, it is just plain comfortable!
And it looks good too.
My butt is thanking me every mile
Old 10-03-2009, 05:17 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine will be here next thursday. I'm encouraged by your first impression.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:28 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah it's a great seat. I'm thankful that it came with mine when I bought it few years ago because aftermarket seats just weren't something I thought much about. Always thinking "oh gotta get loud pipes lol." But after having it not only does it look great but it feels great too.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Funny thing is back in '98 when I bought mine they were only like $275, from Sargent themselves!
Old 10-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
if i can talk the wife into spending more money again on the bike, i will replace my corbin smuggler. this corbin is just like riding on a 2x12 minus the splinters.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:57 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Funny thing is back in '98 when I bought mine they were only like $275, from Sargent themselves!
so how did the seat hold up after 11 seasons?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Probably more comfortable for the passenger too?

I've got about 15,000 miles of sore *** on the stock one. I hate how it looks loose too, it doesn't fit the bodywork very well.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by cameron
so how did the seat hold up after 11 seasons?
Actually about 9 seasons. I traded it after painting the SH. I had a red passenger section that didn't quite go well with the white/black paint scheme. The first one had a leather rider section that was great. I traded for a new all black one with the CarbonFX instead of leather. Other than a very small stain on the red portion of the seat it looked and felt pretty much like new over 9 years later! Try THAT with a Corbin.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Actually about 9 seasons. I traded it after painting the SH. I had a red passenger section that didn't quite go well with the white/black paint scheme. The first one had a leather rider section that was great. I traded for a new all black one with the CarbonFX instead of leather. Other than a very small stain on the red portion of the seat it looked and felt pretty much like new over 9 years later! Try THAT with a Corbin.
well, I got my corbin about 4 years ago. it wasn't new but it felt stiff as a board. 4 years later, its still stiff as a board. haha seriously though, its way better than stock. maybe someday I'll spring for a seargant, but $375 is just too much unless it comes ejection capability.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:05 AM
SuperSport

Swordfish - there is a used one for sale right now for $275. I know it seems like a lot, but if you are currently uncomfortable, then the $$$ are worth it. You'll be able to sell you corbin for probably almost as much, netting very little.
Mine was an impulse buy, but I'm very happy I did
Old 12-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
Gentlemen;

Know what you mean about the pathetically shaped and rock hard seat that came on these bikes stock. I too bought a Sargeant last summer and find it far superior to the stock seat. The blue welt looks very cool too, on a blue Hawk.

A recent piece in Motorcycle Consumer News inspired me to build a custom seat of my own. Actually, having had some history in the leather business, it's got me to thinking that it might be an exellent idea for a retirement business. I'm about 2/3 of the way through building it. Gotta pick up some gel in the next week or so and place that in the seat, then I'm one step from covering it in leather. I'll let you know how it comes out, but I'm looking for a great all day ride. I can tell you if you have one built this way (to your *** and riding style), you'd be looking at $600+ in leather, which makes a Sargeant at $365 look pretty good!

Last edited by BluStreak; 12-25-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 12-26-2009, 06:32 AM
SuperSport

Having someone on this forum that builds custom seats would be awsome - $$600 will be beyond the pricepoint however...
Perhaps that is why Sargent promotes the "carbon FX" over leather?
It certainly doesn't have the expensive look of a leather Corbin on a Duc, but I don't have a Duc and the Sargent treats my but better.
Get yourself down to modding OEM seats for $125. If it is comfortable you'll get a rep here soon enough and have your business.
Won't be rich, but perhaps gas and mod money.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:37 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I agree that the Sargent is prob the best seat out there. $248 is about the best that I have ever seen them.

However, you can usually find a car installer or a boat installer that can cut you a deal using the stock shell. I did this to a 600CBR and it was a shitload better than stock - $100.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:54 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I see photos of bikes on the Forum with stock seats and I think....Oh man, if you only knew.

I rode my '05 for 2 1/2 years with the stock seat before getting my Sargent almost 2 years ago. I paid $20 extra to get medium gray piping which looks great with the Titanium paint.

Had I known how well it would work, I would have bought it a month after buying my bike. The good looks are just a bonus.