Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

WOW! Best mod ever!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:36 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
WOW! Best mod ever!!

Finally did the front end swap ive been wanting to do for so long, the RC51 swap. It was about a 9 hour process from start to finish on Friday. I was really surprised at how smoothly it all went, which is where my research and preparation really paid off. I was lucky to find a complete SP1 front end, with the exception of the SP2 wheel which is lighter and cooler because its 5 spoke rather than 6. I wasnt sure i wanted to dive into the process of a swap but when i found the steal on all the parts i jumped.

WOW! Best mod ever!!-rchawk.jpg

I went with tapered bearings from all ***** which are great! i also took a risk and bought a pair of the 3 way adjustable danmoto clip ons which so far im really happy with. Although its a little time consuming to get them in the same position and also one your comfortable with. I also only had to make minor modifcations as in trimming the inner fairing and the streering stops. Didnt need to move back my radiators as the triple or forks dont come anywhere near touching them.
Today i took the SHawk out to the infamous "Snake" section of mulholland canyon, which is my local riding spot, and WOW!!!!! what a difference! its like i bought a new motorcycle. i already have the ohlins rear shock so the new front end really compliments that well. the front end felt so planted. The best way to describe it is confidence inspiring. No chatter, No flex, and the bight on the brakes is killer. I wasnt questioning the front tires traction at all. I definitely went faster because of the confidence i had in the front end. So much so that a buddy of mine noticed how much faster, and lower i was going then before.
It was the most worthwhile investment ive made in the SHawk. I definitely recommend either the RC, or any other USD swap to anyone who hasnt done it. It really reminded me how vital good suspension, and more importantly properly tuned suspension is. Cant get over how much of a difference it made. STOKED!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:51 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
+1 ;-)
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Nope. According to some members here, a correct re-valve and re-sprung stock fork is more effective than a USD swap. Hahahahahah! Quit spreading lies, heretic!
Old 01-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Squid

yoomit is on a distinguished road
sweet!!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
Nice. Good Job. One day, I'll do the same. 9 hours, not bad at all. I hope many beers were consumed
Old 01-06-2014, 08:41 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I'm just happy to hear losing weight isn't at the top of the performance mod list. You can all shove my new year's resolution up your ***.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM
SuperSport

7, ive also heard people say that properly tuned drum brakes can be just as good as disc brakes so.....
Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey
7, ive also heard people say that properly tuned drum brakes can be just as good as disc brakes so.....
Not so sure about that after they heat up while in use
Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM
SuperSport

NHSH, i was getting at the point that properly tuned SHawk forks even with a fork brace will NEVER be as good as properly tuned USD forks. just like properly tuned drum brakes will never match disc brakes. thats why RSD forks and drum brakes are a thing of the past on motorcycles. at least sport bikes anyways
Old 01-06-2014, 04:50 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Nope. According to some members here, a correct re-valve and re-sprung stock fork is more effective than a USD swap. Hahahahahah! Quit spreading lies, heretic!
Actually, it is. Something to keep in mind is the RC51 front will also need a revalve and probably springs too. It might be hard to believe right now because it seems like a big change, but it is true. The valving pistons inside the RC51 forks are the same exact parts as the VTR. A USD set of forks offer better rigidity and the RC51 has better brakes, no question about that. I rode my GSXR750 front (which has a lot better stock valving than the RC51) for about a year before setting it up properly, it is pretty amazing what the correct springs and valving does.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:23 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey
It was the most worthwhile investment ive made in the SHawk. I definitely recommend either the RC, or any other USD swap to anyone who hasnt done it. It really reminded me how vital good suspension, and more importantly properly tuned suspension is. Cant get over how much of a difference it made. STOKED!
Uhhh!! Right as I'm about to revalve!! Maybe I should wait! I've been on the see saw for a few years, something is going to have to give (my wallet)!

Glad you are satisfied with your purchase and everything worked out! When you get a minute, cruise over to the buyer/seller feedback and give yoomit a shout out.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:29 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Uhhh!! Right as I'm about to revalve!! Maybe I should wait! I've been on the see saw for a few years, something is going to have to give (my wallet)!

Glad you are satisfied with your purchase and everything worked out! When you get a minute, cruise over to the buyer/seller feedback and give yoomit a shout out.
Don't be so hasty. I would suggest you start with springs and a revalve to your VTR forks first. The valving will always swap over to a USD set if you choose to go that route in the future (as mentioned above it will need it too).

As you ellude to, USD swaps are pretty expensive. Honestly, if I had it to do over I probably wouldn't do it again. Since they are already on my bike I'm not taking them off, but a properly setup set of stock forks is almost as good.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
900RR forks, while RSU, are a definite step up too (much more rigid, compression adjustable, and lighter too). As they allow you to keep the front wheel, rotors and calipers, they make for a much cheaper swap too. In fact, they were used by Moriwaki (and Revolution Racing) on their racing VTRs, so they should be up to whatever we can dish out...
Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jamie. I haven't contacted you about it yet, but suspension work is in my near future. With your words here, I can quit wasting time thinking about a fork swap. This frees up time to contemplate goatskin seat covers and chrome gee-gaws, so thanks.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:02 PM
MotoGP

But... guyyyyys.... they look so cool

I keep faking Jamie out about suspension work and he keeps putting up with it like a champ. Just got to find a way to win some disposable income or man up and send my stuff in.

I didn't even know valving could be swapped over. Shows how much credibility I have around here.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:44 PM
SuperSport

I definitely agree with you Jamie, and your the god of suspension around here so i take your words as law. like 7 i didnt know valving can transfer from one setup to another. is this true of all forks or only similar forks from on manufacture? what does a respring and revalve cost? and is it basically dialing in the suspension for bike + rider weight? i cant say that the fact that the USD forks look so damn cool didnt have anything to do with my choice to do the swap but they also really transformed the bike. So Jamie, if you say the RC forks need springs and a revalve then consider it done! as soon as my wallet allows it
Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM
MotoGP

^ The USD's made a big difference on my rig too, man... makes me really wonder what a correctly sprung and valved fork will do. Braking and stiffness in one package are good with the racebike front end. I have yet to bottom out or come across any shady handling, but when I set sag it is a little low.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM
SuperSport

and also jamie well im asking about suspension, i have the HO 701 ohlins rear shock on my bike. is there anything that we shock would need done as well when i go to get new springs and valves in the forks?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Back Marker

Appletonhawk is on a distinguished road
I don't understand the hype, money and time spent trying to make a SH an RC? If you want it to handle like and RC why not buy an RC? I would think it would be easier? Not to mention that the RC wasn't and isn't the best bike for race performance. Trust me my buddy that races rides a ZX6R and his brother races a RC51. Hands down the ZX6R kills the RC51 except in a straight line. RC51 went down 3 times last year trying to keep up and he just can't. To big, to heavy. Bike is a tank compared to the ZX. If I wanted to race I would deff. not be on a SH or RC. Being previous owner of a CBR900RR I can tell you also the 900RR walks all over the hawk in the corners, but being almost 40 years old I couldn't bring myself to buy another bike that sounds like a kids bike. Well just my opinion.

Last edited by Appletonhawk; 01-13-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Originally Posted by mikstr
900RR forks, while RSU, are a definite step up too (much more rigid, compression adjustable, and lighter too). As they allow you to keep the front wheel, rotors and calipers, they make for a much cheaper swap too. In fact, they were used by Moriwaki (and Revolution Racing) on their racing VTRs, so they should be up to whatever we can dish out...
I'll be happy with the 900rr upgrade for my VTR track bike. I likely also would have jumped on a good SP1 front end, but the 900rr front fits the budget right now.

For inspiration I like to pull up the Moriwaki VTR as well !!

Name:  99-VTR1000F-8h-2_zpsd7cc3233.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  210.3 KB
Old 01-13-2014, 10:49 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRDarren
I'll be happy with the 900rr upgrade for my VTR track bike. I likely also would have jumped on a good SP1 front end, but the 900rr front fits the budget right now.

For inspiration I like to pull up the Moriwaki VTR as well !!

There is alos the matter of the Moriwaki MTM-1, a bike built with the RC51 engine but a Moriwaki frame. It too used a 900RR fork in place of the USD unit..... guess it can`t be that bad, huh?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
So nice.. (I love google images)

Name:  image_zps8a5cf15f.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  127.9 KB

Name:  image_zps7893dc73.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  62.0 KB

Name:  image_zps48a81166.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  54.5 KB
Old 01-13-2014, 11:03 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
ok, last one, already on this site somewhere of course.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Love that Moriwaki stuff.

I have re-valved and re-sprung stockers with material supplied by Jamie, and a F4i rear shock w-remote also supplied by Jamie. (Great stuff, great guy BTW). After completing forks, and adding a coerce brace to assist with the spindly 41mm legs, I was surprised by the difference. No revelation here as I am sure many others have the same set-up. Adding the F4i calipers and master cylinder cured the lack of braking performance by quite a margin also.
I do think the USD forks look better, and the mere fact that the modern USD forks are so much beefier especially with regard to the triple clamps would be reason to consider such an endeavor. (Compared to stock)
Necessary? Not really. An ambitious nice mod? Absolutely.
Now please pass the Moriwaki.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:06 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Appletonhawk
I don't understand the hype, money and time spent trying to make a SH an RC? If you want it to handle like and RC why not buy an RC? I would think it would be easier? Not to mention that the RC wasn't and isn't the best bike for race performance. Trust me my buddy that races rides a ZX6R and his brother races a RC51. Hands down the ZX6R kills the RC51 except in a straight line. RC51 went down 3 times last year trying to keep up and he just can't. To big, to heavy. Bike is a tank compared to the ZX. If I wanted to race I would deff. not be on a SH or RC. Being previous owner of a CBR900RR I can tell you also the 900RR walks all over the hawk in the corners, but being almost 40 years old I couldn't bring myself to buy another bike that sounds like a kids bike. Well just my opinion.
no one is saying by doing the RC51 fork swap that they are trying to turn the SHawk into the RC51. your right, if i wanted an RC id go buy one. AND im not racing the hawk, so i dont care if a zx6r is faster than an RC. or myself, i like wrenching and modding my bikes almost as much as i like riding. okay i like riding ALOT more but i still love wrenching. the RC swap was 1. a performance upgrade (more rigid, more adjustable I.E. compression damping, rebound, preload, etc... ) also it was an aesthetic upgrade. IMHO RSD forks are oldschool looking, and i love the look of the modern USD forks with the gold outer tubes. so it was just something to customize the bike to my liking. granted i wasnt riding the 900RR steup i had before the swap to it limits, and i dont claim to even have the ability to do so, but all around the RC swap did make a huge difference on my bike and im really glad i did it.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Squid

Auron
The real question is how will a re-valved and sprung RC-51 fork feel compared to a re-valved and sprung Superhawk fork?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:32 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Auron
The real question is how will a re-valved and sprung RC-51 fork feel compared to a re-valved and sprung Superhawk fork?
For most street riding you wouldn't notice a much of a difference. The RC51 will feel more rigid but that won't translate into more performance until you get to knee-down levels or faster.

Some people like stronger brakes, and the RC51 does have a bit more in that department. Personally I have always felt the brakes are something meant to slow you down. The less you use the brakes the better.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Personally I have always felt the brakes are something meant to slow you down. The less you use the brakes the better.
Have I mentioned lately how much I love you Jamie

I think the USD forks just look pimp on the VTR.. and if I have the money some day I may do a 929RR front end or an RC51 front end purely because I like the look of the bike. I had some go fast time at Fort Mountain the other day and the VTR with the correct fork springs did WORLDS better than it had done previously on the stock hardware. I couldn't comfortable get half as low as I got the other day on the stock front end without feeling like the bike was going to wash out on the brakes transitioning to the next corner (I have trouble reading corners so I like to go in slow and come out hot) I actually bottomed out a few times before I swapped the fork springs. Now the bike feels like it should to me.

My buddie on his 929RR walked away from me our last trip on the stock front end, I could comfortably walk away from him when I was in front this past go round. His bike could easily smoke me but I've been riding longer than he has and I'm a moderately better rider in most cases.. or just moderately more cocky, one or the other
Old 01-23-2014, 11:09 AM
Squid

Auron
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
For most street riding you wouldn't notice a much of a difference. The RC51 will feel more rigid but that won't translate into more performance until you get to knee-down levels or faster.

Some people like stronger brakes, and the RC51 does have a bit more in that department. Personally I have always felt the brakes are something meant to slow you down. The less you use the brakes the better.
I'm only interested in a really well suspended bike for street riding. Stock or inverted, I'd get an axxion AK-20 kit. I'm also not worried about the brakes. Stockers good enough then?

AK-20 Axxion Cartridge Kit
Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 AM
SuperSport

I've just gotta say that the stock forks on the vtr will NEVER be as good as USD forks. If both are properly valved and sprung then the USD forks will still preform better. I did the swap for looks cuz they bring the bikes look up to date, rigidity, better braking(which yes is really important contrary to what's been said) and lighter weight of unsprung rotating mass. Overall the swap was a huge upgrade and I sold my old parts coming out $50 shy of breaking even on the whole thing. So it was almost free.

Quick Reply: WOW! Best mod ever!!