Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Dirt bars or Flat bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 06:05 AM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
Dirt bars or Flat bars

I am thinking about doing a dirt bar or flat bar conversion, just looking to get some oppinions from some of you who may have already done the conversion, likes and dislikes.

Whats a good bend to use for dirt bars, whats the advantage to dirt bars over flat bars or vise versa. pictures of how they look on the bike would be awesome too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I personally like my flat bar conversion, no fairing trim required. I found it made the ride much more comfortable, and have me better leverage on the outside of the bars to make steering eaiser. I have not been able to try MX bars due to not having longer lines. Flat bars can use stock lines but it is tight. If you have standard SS lines flat bars will fit no problem. As for bends, I am a personal fan of the CR low and Carmichael bend for my CR250.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:21 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by KCCO
I personally like my flat bar conversion, no fairing trim required. I found it made the ride much more comfortable, and have me better leverage on the outside of the bars to make steering eaiser. I have not been able to try MX bars due to not having longer lines. Flat bars can use stock lines but it is tight. If you have standard SS lines flat bars will fit no problem. As for bends, I am a personal fan of the CR low and Carmichael bend for my CR250.

Thanks. Yeah I want a little bit more rise for a more straight up riding position and I was thinking dirt bars for the hight and leverage.

But at the same time I am concidering the DanMoto adjustable clipons..

Last edited by sailorjerry; 02-11-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
MX bars will give you both. If you can, find a local store that will let you take a few bars to the parking lot and hold them over the center yoke to approximate the height/bend you want.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:28 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by KCCO
MX bars will give you both. If you can, find a local store that will let you take a few bars to the parking lot and hold them over the center yoke to approximate the height/bend you want.

I've got quite a few stunter buddies who have Dirt bars on their bikes im just going to take their bikes out for a ride and see which I like best, that will give me a good starting point for which bend and rise I like. I was more so throwing the question out because I know I have seen a few guys with dirt bars on the forum and i wanted to see if I could get their oppinions, and yours on the flat bars, lol.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:50 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
I've got the Renthal 814 Fatbar (for Kawi 450 ATV) on my Ducati Streetfighter and they've great...decent rise, about 30 inches wide and not too much rearward sweep...
Old 04-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Deals Gap is a Hoot!
Back Marker

SIRR1 is on a distinguished road
Lets see I have around 7 inches of risers which push the bar clamps up and back giving me a more upright riding position.

Currently I am running Fat bars with the CR high bend which IMO is not bad so I purchased a set of Rental Ricky Carmichael's bend which is a little taller bar compared to the CR High bend.

I will post a few pics in the next few days to give you an idea the route I went, I have converted a few CBR's to sport touring bikes over the years and each time I get one to my liking someone offers me the right price that I could not refuse and the next thing I know I building another.

A few things to consider is you will need different throttle cables, clutch line and possibly front brake lines depending how high you go.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

SIRR1