Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

re-sleeve of mufflers project

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
re-sleeve of mufflers project

ok so i have D+D exhaust on my bike, i like it just fine but over the last few years it has started to take a beating... slight tip overs etc.

i called the company to see what new sleeves would cost and was surprised by the price....$115 for aluminum PER side and 130 something for black and 175 for carbon....

re packing was also 65 per side.... sooooo nearly 350 bucks for re sleeved and re packed mufflers... seems kind of steep especially when i could probably find used ones in great condition for under that

so i did some digging around and found this website that sells 4" OD AL tubing

my mufflers are according to D+D 4x17" this company sells 18" pieces for $14

according to the site the AL is 6061 and is "6061 tube is commonly used for structural components, frames, machine parts, truck and marine components, marine fittings, electrical fittings and connectors, bike frames, railings, truck racks, etc. 6061 is used for heavy duty structures requiring good strength-to-weight ratio with good corrosion resistance. 6061 is easily cold worked and formed in the annealed condition. Cutting, stamping, bending, spinning, deep drawing, drilling, tapping, etc. are all readily accomplished using standard methods."

so am i ok to give this a try? or are the mufflers going to blow up in my face... any feedback would be great
Old 09-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I did the same thing with my TB but stainless. Picked up six pounds replacing the aluminum sleeves
Old 09-09-2014, 05:03 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I'd bet good money that 6061 is what most of the muffler housings are made from. It's a pretty common, decently high grade alloy.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:37 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Would you share the web source for the Al. Tube?
Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
How bad are your current sleeves? You could always grind out the scratches and polish them. Or if the front parts are messed up you could cut an inch or two out if the sleeve (and the baffle) and slightly shorten them. You could flip the sleeves around too since the D&D's don't have a seam on the backside. Hell $14 a side though all you'd have to do is cut them to the length you want and mark off and drill new rivet holes-may not be worth all the other elbow grease. +1 could you share where you found those? Only thing is I'm assuming those aren't polished like the D&D's were (if you care).
Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bearshawk
. 6061 is easily cold worked and formed in the annealed condition. Cutting, stamping, bending, spinning, deep drawing, drilling, tapping, etc. are all readily accomplished using standard methods."

any feedback would be great
Does this tubing arrive to you in annealed condition? If so, you'll need someone's help heat treating it to a usable hardness. In an annealed condition, 6061 is very easy to work but not durable at all. Your mufflers would fall apart.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:22 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, whats the site? My TB carbon cans are not long for this world. Had to cut & rerivet them.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:02 AM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
just googled it.... Speedy Metals 4" OD x 3.750" ID x .125" Wall 6061 Aluminum Round Tube

they arent that bad of shape really... butttt really for $14 and a long MN winter ahead of me i want a proect