Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

WTB - Micron Carbon Sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:36 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
WTB - Micron Carbon Sleeve

Have a hole in the carbon sleeve of my left Micron can. This is the older round can (not oval) with the red Micron logo. Micron wants and arm and a leg for a new sleeve.
Any used Micron micron cans or parts out there?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:05 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
go to UScomposites.com and get some stuff to patch it with from the inside.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:19 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the suggestion.
Went to the site saw the "we do not fabricate tubes" and thought "must be somone who does!" So I googled "Carbon Tubes" and discovered a whole world of businesses that that make these - some of which look just that those on carbon pipes.
Unfortunately in 3" dia they are all just as expensive as the sleave micron will sell me ($200 range)
The hole is small - better described as a tear in the carbon fibre and it is small. My thought for a repair was a small piece of aluminum tape stuck over the hole on the inside. The hole is also low and near the middle of the pipe - cannot see it unless you are on the ground looking. I notice while oiling my chain.

In any case the point to this thread was to see if anyone had old carbon pipes lying around that I could scavange the sleave from. Anyone?
Old 11-27-2008, 07:42 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Send/post a picture
I used to make carbon fiber parts for airplanes, the repair should not be that hard unless the damage is to something that is funny shaped.

You want to start by removing the guts and cleaning the tube really well.
Lightly sand thru (180 grit or finer) the outer coating of resin on the inside of the tube all around the damaged area.
Cut out a patch of the replacement carbon fiber the same size as the area you sanded. Apply peel ply to the outside of the tube where the hole is at then wrap the outside with shrink wrap.
Mix up some resin and coat the replacement patch with it. cover the patch with peel ply.
To keep it all tight get a large mountain bike inner tube fold in half and blow up inside.
place the entire setup into a semi warm area to accelerate the resin curing.
After the resin has cured remove all the wrapping and clean up any remaining resin or stray fibers from the inside of the tube.
Keeping everything clean and oil free will make it easy. Use latex gloves NON POWDER COATED for protecting your hands and keeping the oil from your hands from contaminating the bond area.

Good luck

Martin