Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Carbon Fiber Exhaust Sleeve

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Carbon Fiber Exhaust Sleeve

Picked up a carbon fiber exhaust sleeve off Ebay. The seller (siteinc)shipped quick and combined shipping on multiple items.

I bought one of the rounds and the carbon fiber strap. Its 18" long and fit the 4" round can I had exactly for width. They said they would cut it shorter at no charge.

The parts look like quality items. The fit and finish are very good. It has a smooth, glossy finish on the outside. The strap matches it as well. I paid $75 for the can which I tought was great. The strap was $30 which seemed a bit high but again it seems to be well made. I can't speak to questions about any special UV protection as others have brought up in similar threads.

I'd say its worth a look if your cans are damaged. The photos I added aren't the best but they should give you an idea of the fit & finish. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Exhaust Sleeve-img_0070.jpg   Carbon Fiber Exhaust Sleeve-img_0071.jpg   Carbon Fiber Exhaust Sleeve-img_0072.jpg  
Old 03-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Back Marker

HawkFanatic is on a distinguished road
are those stock cans? and was it $75 per can or total?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Back Marker

The muffler was an aftermarket exhaust can that was originally skinned in aluminum. I..uh...kind of damaged it when it came off at speed. It wacked the rear tire as it swung around when the midpipe spring & clamp FAILED. The midpipe slipped from the header. My fault for not correcting the poor installation. It looked like it was weak...and it was!

I needed to replace the skin and the clamp. Finding an aluminum skin of the proper guage and length was getting to be a PITA. When I came across these on Ebay I thought WTF. Might as well try it.

I'm not sure who made the can but it didn't matter. All I was concerned with was the ID of the sleeve which was 3.9". Took the verniers to the damaged can and it looked like it would be a good fit. Turns out it was a perfect, snug fit as far as dimeter. The damaged can was 20" long. I planned on shortening the can anyway so the 18" length of the carbon fiber sleeve seemed a good start. I suspect since they sell the sleeves at 18" lengths, most of the aftermarket cans must be that length or shorter.

To answer your other question, they charge $75 per can. Again, not super cheap but it looks nice and from what I gather, the price is better than what the factories charge. If you need 2 I'd ask if the seller would be willing to cut you a break. Can't hurt to ask in this enconomy. Either way he gets a sale and it's not like it's a high tech part thats labor intensive to make. For those of you looking to try shorty "GP" look pipes, I'd see if he wants to make a deal on the cutoffs. Just a thought.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Damn those are sweet. I just repacked a pair of used wolfs that weren't ever repacked and have some small cracks, a little discoloration and whatnot. These would probably work perfect and make 'em look brand new. Anyway you may want to consider what I did if you only have muffler packing with the carbon sleeve over it. In the exhaust section at Advance Auto (and I'm sure elsewhere) they sell boxes made by ROL with thin sheets of aluminum 14"x14". They might also say 12x12 but they're all the same part# and they're all 14x14 (?!). I just trimmed them and wrapped them around the muffler packing, secured them with the high heat tape they come with, and then slipped the carbon sleeve over it. They weigh next to nothing. I know some exhausts, like supposedly leo vince does, already have the metal heat shield inside, but many/most do not. Cheap insurance as big twins are harder on carbon mufflers.

Last edited by captainchaos; 03-14-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
did you get those pipes mounted on your vtr yet capt.?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
No I may actually just sell them. I'm having a small spot welded on one of the midpipes. I'll pick it up when the swingarm's done. I haven't done **** this week because I've been really sick, and being back in school and working too really doesn't allow me to make much progress but I'm trying. I know they're impossible to find. I did have them on my project bike for five minutes. They had almost no packing left in them and I've NEVER heard ANYTHING that sounded the way they do. I'll have to try them out now that they're repacked when I get the '99 back. It's at the shop getting the swingarm fitted for the '98 because it's just easier to move around. And he moves kinda slow but does nice work.

Last edited by captainchaos; 03-13-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Back Marker

Thanks for the tip about the aluminum sheet. I'd wondered if some of the manufacturers added a foil heat shield.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Squid

Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Damn those are sweet. I just repacked a pair of used wolfs that weren't ever repacked and have some small cracks, a little discoloration and whatnot. These would probably work perfect and make 'em look brand new.
I was thinking the same thing.....not sure if they'll fit my Wolfs....need to do some measuring......
Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
will these fit the wolfs?
Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Back Marker

Sorry, don't know about Wolf exhaust. I'd send an email to the ebay vendor I got the carbon fiber sleeve from (or another listed on ebay) and see what diameters and lengths they have in stock. The people I bought from were very helpful.

Good luck.