Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Finally had some time with no work. So, I installed my lightened flywheel, which came out to be a total of 5 lbs. 5.5 oz. Thanks again Erik!*

Man, the engine is great now. However, I now have a slight vibration above 5,000 RPM's now. It isn't enough to keep me from riding, but enough to warant further investigation. I cleaned the flywheel in my parts washer, so I know there wasn't anything foriegn stuck to it. When I got my flywheel back, there was a slight lip where the sprag clutch sits. I'm assuming it was just missed. Really no big deal at all. I didn't see it at first though, and I couldn't get the sprag clutch to sit correctly, so I took a small hammer and tried to tap it in place around the outside edge. It just wouldn't fit. I then saw the lip and used the sharp edge of a file to kind of scrape the lip away, which worked nicely. After putting the flywheel in the parts washer for another bath, everything fit together like they should.
I'm assuming I might have done something to the sprag clutch. It wasn't anything visible. I have another engine I can swap parts from to see which part is causing the issue. I'll figure it out. But untill then, I'm enjoying the ride!

*Guys, I searched for someone to lighten my flywheel around here (S.E. Wisconsin) and people either had no idea what to do, or they were very expensive. For the price Erik charges for us, it is worth the money to have someone with experience do this
Old 07-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

No work today, so this morning I pulled the engine cover off and began the parts swapping. I started with just swapping in a second sprag clutch with the lightened flywheel. I had my money on this part, since I thought I may have damaged it. Still not sure how the sprag clutch could cause a vibration, but it's the only thing I tapped with a hammer. I buttoned up the engine cover and took 'er for a quick spin.
That vibration is for the most part gone. There is now a very slight vibration above 6,500 RPM's. It's honestly not that bad and I can live with it, since I rarely see those RPM's within the city.
I do have one more engine cover gasket if I feel like playing around with it again in the future. But for now, I'm riding in this awesome weather we are having right now!

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 07-19-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:35 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The other day I had a LOT of errands to do and luckily I could take the bike (was almost 3 tanks worth of fuel). I knew there was more power to be had with the Dr. Honda velocity stacks, but a recent post here made me think of what MPG you would get with these velocity stacks. You would think that with more power, your fuel consumption would go down. However with my carb setup, which is almost the 8541Hawk carb setup, I get ~27MPG with spirited driving. With the only change being the velocity stacks, I saw an increase of 4MPG. For an extra ~17 miles per tank (spritied driving remember) and extra power...I will spend the bucks on these aluminum velocity stacks anytime. And when I actually tune the dang carbs after the X-Wing thread, I want to see what MPG I get

Name:  20140720_172205.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  133.2 KB

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 07-21-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Squid

ssscottyyy is on a distinguished road
Aw man...I'm currently getting 39 average MPG and it's running a tad lean. I'm about to do the Hawk carb setup...I'm hoping my fuel economy doesn't drop as low as you're getting.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Yeah Scott, Huge range here. If I completely whoop the bike its low 30's. Spirited low 40's and riding at speeds cars travel 48. This I get. I dont get the disparity from one bike to the next.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Squid

ssscottyyy is on a distinguished road
Oh nice, that is quite the range.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:56 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

SSSSSSSSScotty, I wouldn't worry about getting the same MPG's as me. I have a little different setup from the 'Hawk Tune'. It's based on it, but tweaked a bit.

Jerry, if you just putz along with your bike, you can get almost 200 miles to a tank? Wow, nice!
There are guys on here that have reported getting as low as 80 miles out of the tank before the RLOD (Red Light Of Death (a.k.a. Low Fuel Light) for you newbies reading this).
Speaking of which, FYI - I had to drain my tank not to long ago, so I took 'er for a good spirited ride to burn off some fuel to make the tank easier to drain, and the RLOD came on in my driveway just as I got back. When I drained the tank, there was .7 of a gallon left. So, that is the Superhawk's reserve.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I haven't updated this in a while. Since the last post, I got an awesome exhaust from a local forum member. Thanks again man! High mount Jardine RT-1 in black. Very light compared to the stockers. I would say that this whole exhaust weighs the same or less than one stock muffler.

I also got the urge to try out my F.I.L. mod. It's just been sitting around, so why not? It's running very lean at the moment and I'm working on the carbs to get it sorted. I'm installing (DJ) 190F & 195R main jets and have ordered 52 pilots, since the 50's I'm using aren't enough.

I'll get better pictures at a later time.

Oh! My buddy helped me figure out how much paint I need for my bike. Ordering the paint today Black and grey with a matte clear. I have a new & better regulator/filter for my compressor, so I can now shoot the paint without worries.

Name:  20140811_102109.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  162.1 KB
Name:  20140811_102127.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  151.6 KB

Name:  20140824_173821.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  124.0 KB
Name:  20140823_191922.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  130.0 KB
Old 09-21-2014, 05:27 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Bike has been making a metal on metal "ticking" noise that has been getting worse. Click that link and see what was making the noise!

I had to replace the clutch, since it has been on it's way out. I popped the engine cover off and found that the clutch kit that I purchased was the wrong clutch! So, while waiting for my new, correct clutch to arrive, my engine cover will be off for a little while longer. I figured I would remove the Sub Gear while inside the engine.

I have the fairing off and I can't ride my bike for at least another week, so I'm going to finally paint it! Perfect weather for it this coming week too. I'm just making a little spray booth inside my garage with plastic hanging from the cieling. This is how she looks right now. You can see the fairing laying off to the left.

Name:  20140921_174226.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  138.6 KB

I got a set of used frame sliders that had some sun damage and were just a little used looking. I used a scotch brite pad and scuffed them up, then used a torch and melted the plastic slightly. Made them look almost brand new! The picture is out of focus, but it looks a lot better than it seems in the picture.

Name:  20140921_174409.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  102.0 KB

Also repainting my engine cover. Not sure which color(s) yet. Idea's?

Name:  20140921_174441.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  95.0 KB

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-21-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

While the bike has been down, I decided to do some shopping. I got the parts to weld aluminum with my Lincoln Electric MIG welder. Why? Because I have always wanted to weld aluminum, but don't have the cash to drop on a nice TIG. Also, because last night I scored:
Superhawk swingarm $28
'95 CBR900RR swingarm $20
'96 (same part # as '95) CBR900RR rear brake bracket $16

Great prices, except for the bracket. Couldn't get the guy down on price.

So, I'm doing a braced swingarm. And since I can weld aluminum now, I'll be fabricating an aluminum sub frame and an aluminum fairing stay. That should get the weight down some.

Since I will have an extra swingarm, this will help me figure out what I need to make my custom wheels fit, without having to remove the rear wheel from the swingarm on the bike and having the bike down.

I have not installed the '07 CBR1000RR front end yet, so this seems like a great time to do so. Why? Because I just purchased an Ohlins rear shock (HO-701). This bike will be SO different with the better shock/forks and braced swingarm.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I took the engine cover off of my extra engine and found that it has a Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer. Score!

Kind of a bad picture of the Ohlins shock, but a picture none the less.

Name:  20140924_175543.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  108.1 KB

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 10-11-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:37 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Envy for that shock!
Old 09-25-2014, 06:28 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Mat just wait for the clutch to show before digging in to the other. Wont be long before Wisconsin winter creeps in and you need to ride
Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by jerryh
Mat just wait for the clutch to show before digging in to the other. Wont be long before Wisconsin winter creeps in and you need to ride
True. You got a point there man. Got a little excited with the new stuff

I can at least mount the shock to test 'er out and set 'er up before the temps drop to -20F, you know, the weather Smokin' Joe comfortably rides in . The aluminum fabrication can wait for the 6 months of white out. Besides, it will give me something to do.

Ya know, I was looking into ice racing. Studded tires, cold weather, frozen lakes...this could be fun. Not sure if I would buy another bike or use the Superhawk. Well, there IS a local guy selling a running, but rough looking '98 Superhawk for $1200. Could probably get it for $800-$900. Hmmm...
Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Envy for that shock!
This shock rocks! Compression and rebound dampening, external oil reservoir, external spring preload adjuster. Really neat shock.
I bought it for a fantastic price. Was told the spring preload adjuster was broken. Turns out, the thing works on oil pressure and there was no oil inside the line. Filled it up and she works fantastic! Just needs a simple O-Ring. Before the shock is installed into my Superhawk, it's getting rebuilt and gone through.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 03-27-2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: correction
Old 09-25-2014, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Sweet shock! If you do all those mods at once...wow! Be sure to take some baseline measurements. I forgot to take a rear height one in my excitement to get the O mounted. Would love to know the exact change.
While it's not on the bike yet, how much would you need to replicate the preload mount bracket? Or at least a few good pics of yours (please). I need one and I've been putting off making it. Wanted to buy a carbon card and see how it would hold up but found nothing thick enough.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Thanks. (you get my PM?) I have seen it several times now, where people get to excited an forget to take stock measurements. I know I would be one of them haha. But, I have writen out a list that has everything that I need to do, kind of step by step. Step one is to get stock measurements!

I was just looking at the shock preload adjuster mount. You want mine? I have a sheet of carbon fiber that I was just going to trace the mount onto, cut it out and use that.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-25-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:27 PM
MotoGP

Yes please, unless you sell carbon ones.!!! Paypal @ the ready.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Yes please, unless you sell carbon ones.!!! Paypal @ the ready.
Let's see how mine turns out first. Will do it this weekend. If you like it, I can make another very easily.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:27 PM
MotoGP

Grrr. My O doesn't have adjustable ride height like yours pictured.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:37 AM
SuperBike

I am still suffering from envy, at least I can ride all year round here in Oz!
Old 09-26-2014, 03:47 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Grrr. My O doesn't have adjustable ride height like yours pictured.
Well that bites. Would've been cool if I could've helped ya out.

I am still suffering from envy, at least I can ride all year round here in Oz!
You suck haha

I could ride all year round too. Some days the snow would make it down right dangerous, but it's doable.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:11 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
We are just coming out of winter. All that means is I take the liner out of my jacket. We dont let a little cold weather stop us. Bwhahahahaha
Old 10-15-2014, 08:57 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
I figured out how to post pictures with my iPad! lets see if this works. This is how the bike looks as of two days ago.

Finally, time for an update with pictures!
As you can see, I got some yellow fairings, because the red set I had were just to far gone. On these yellow ones, only the right side needed some plastic repair with my trusty plastic welder. As long as I was fixing the plastic, I filled in the turn signal holes, since the new mirrors had integrated LED turn signals.
I need to buy some Isopon to fill the small scratches, then prime and paint when it gets a little warmer here.

The exhaust from the TL1000 was scrapped when I found a set of almost unused stock Superhawk cans for $20 off Craigslist. I'm debating on painting the cans flat black or not and wrapping the pipes in black exhaust wrap.
I also did a full baflectomy. Sounds great! But I want it louder, but not as loud as it was when it had NO mufflers.

The silver hugger is from a Triumph Daytona. It was free, so after a couple mods, it fits great!

The undertail took some time to make it fit correctly. Several passes with a cutting tool on the Dremel, and using a heat gun made it fit rather well. I'll take a couple pictures of how it was mounted.
Been searching for his picture...this was a '99 project I built a little while back (obviously unfinished here). It's funny how they all look alike at this stage...
Attached Thumbnails CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk-picture-875.jpg  
Old 10-17-2014, 12:24 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Been searching for his picture...this was a '99 project I built a little while back (obviously unfinished here). It's funny how they all look alike at this stage...
Haha, yeah they sure do. I rode it around like that for a little while too!
Thanks again for the parts man.

Got some fun stuff in the mail. Moriwaki rearsets in great condition. Finally got a STRAIGHT faring stay, which I am using to set up a jig, so I can make an aluminum fairing stay. Another set of nice used carbs, which will be installed on the Materium project. Going to install the Moriwaki rearsets this weekend. Pictures to come!
Old 10-17-2014, 01:20 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Haha, yeah they sure do. I rode it around like that for a little while too!
Thanks again for the parts man.

Got some fun stuff in the mail. Moriwaki rearsets in great condition. Finally got a STRAIGHT faring stay, which I am using to set up a jig, so I can make an aluminum fairing stay. Another set of nice used carbs, which will be installed on the Materium project. Going to install the Moriwaki rearsets this weekend. Pictures to come!
I really want rearsets but money is tight. So im gunna try the rotate the stock ones trick.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:07 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
I really want rearsets but money is tight. So im gunna try the rotate the stock ones trick.
I saw how people have done that. Looks very simple to do. I was honestly looking at doing that, just never got around to it.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:13 AM
SuperBike

Show us how this is done please!
Old 10-18-2014, 01:47 AM
SuperSport

Show us how this is done please!
I thought you had rearsets?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I was removing the HONDA from the engine cover on the Materium project, and I absolutey love the way it came out painted all black. So, it is now on my Superhawk. Here it is with the clear drying, which is Dupli-Color 500 degree ceramic spray bomb stuff.

Name:  20141022_193759.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  102.5 KB
Old 10-23-2014, 02:23 AM
SuperBike

NZ,

I do have rear sets however I am curious as to how you reverse the originals.

Crux,

I have removed all Honda logos from my bike except on the tank and wheels.

I laugh every time when some numpty says nice Ducati.

I have even removed the Nissan logo from my CBR 600 F4i calipers.

All for a laugh from my side.

Love your work mate!

What else have you got planned? Work on my Storm has stalled as my brother has a TL100S that is in a very sad state with a broken rotary damper that I am going to replace with a proper shock conversion.

Can't wait to see your bike finished although that is a bit of an oxymoron as the Storms are never finished eh!

Quick Reply: CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk