Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk

Old 11-15-2016, 11:28 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Hey Crux,

Unfortunately this engine is not as simple as it seems. Due to the fact that the carbs are not mounted in tandem like the originals were or as this engine originally had a single Webber carby fitted there is no air filter set up except for some shitty oiled pods that starve the engine of air and make it run rich. I need to work out how to mount a remote air filter setup at the front and will have to relocate the oil cooler.

I am thinking of fitting the oil cooler up under the rear with a fan as I have seen some do with VTR radiators so that I can mount the filter in the best possible place to get as much cold filtered air as possible, sort of like a cold air intake system on a turbo car.

Bit of a drama but It needs to be done.

I will post pics if you don't mind, I hope you are on the mend and get to see and hear your bike when you are recovered.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2016, 04:30 AM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Oh, I understand that. I am just wondering why they are needed. Does it have something to do with heat cycling the new parts inside the engine?

I never heard of giving the engine breaks before, so I would like to learn more about it.
It is because surface of new parts is not perfectly seated, there are some high spots creating higher friction and thus high temp there. Break is to cool down these spots until they are there during the break in.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
I really thought you lost an eye for a moment. I was relieved you said it wasn't permanent. I have some buddies who have lost eyes in a similar fashion.
By the way on the breaks my father explained it to me best. Mainly the aluminum in the engine heat cycles. Those first few cycles are when the engine is Breaking or wearing in.
What Ive been told: The metal is jagged at first. and during break in either the metal is being broken off in small pieces or in big chunks. Big chunks are bad. And its not big chunks that we can see but microscopic pieces being broken off. Big chunks are bad for compression.

That being said the heat cycling is super important. I have seen large engines IE over 9000cc lock up literally piston seized in cylinder from improper cycling. On the other hand Ive seen small engines under 9000cc run poorly from improper break in.

Our race cars for the formula Vee we usually broke in half at the shop half at the track. We have won a few races so I am guessing this method works.

Best to you crux and wear YOUR DA## GLASSES! I have 10 pair. I even wear mine under my welding mask!
Old 11-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Crux, sorry to hears about the eye, heal up!
Old 11-26-2016, 04:29 PM
SuperBike

Here ya go Crux,

Almost finished.

Name:  E388F346-4ABD-4D1E-9CB7-E4453AF1A72D_zps4sd47qzi.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  271.0 KB

Name:  A97FAF76-B41F-489D-B392-BDFF35F57EAD_zpshyvm8ue1.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  261.5 KB

Name:  2F67E596-9FBC-44BA-A31E-ED908AE06110_zpsyuqwe8zv.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  240.2 KB

Name:  C4DFD872-1F0E-4D36-A62C-E76068AE67CB_zpso2ws0lqb.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  267.6 KB

Name:  289DC5EA-F0D2-45E4-A2C8-BF3E41EFB328_zpsikm3afs4.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  308.4 KB

Just about finished, bit more wiring, oil and filter, carb sync, adjust all controls, and a recheck of all work done.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Will have to wait until spring of '17 :-(

Originally Posted by kenmoore
Here ya go Crux,

Almost finished.

Just about finished, bit more wiring, oil and filter, carb sync, adjust all controls, and a recheck of all work done.
Nice! It's coming along great!

Unfortunately guys, my 2016 season is now finished. We're getting 3" of snow tomorrow and the city is dumping literally tons of salt on the roads tonight. So, thats it for me. I just didn't get it done in time. Very depressing. But, looking on the bright side, I can wheel the bike into my basment where it's nice and warm to work on installing the new carbon/stainless steel dash and finishing up a few other small items. It will be four months or so before it see's the light of day again.

I'll still update with pictures of the dash and progress of everything else. Man, I really wish I got to fire this beast up and break in the engine. I was so close...
Old 12-03-2016, 05:40 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
looking on the bright side, I can wheel the bike into my basement where it's nice and warm
This is a good thing. When it's ready, it's ready. Better to not rush...
I wish I had that option. I have a wood burning stove for my garage but it's been collecting dust for 5+ years now. I con't spring for the correct pipe needed.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:58 PM
SuperBike

You could always do what Cheech and Chong did in one of their movies.

Connect a pipe to the exhaust and run it outside, put the bike on rollers and pretend that you are riding it all the while while playing Born To Be Wild.

On a more serious note it's a shame we all need to wait so long to hear your bike running.

I got the Bimota running today , however no spark to front cylinder. Dodgey Italian wiring ! or something I have done.

Keep us posted please.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:17 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
DISAPPOINTED!
Old 12-04-2016, 07:18 AM
Superstock

Do what I do man. As Kenmore stated. Cheech and chong it. Id fire it up inside. Hell it wouldnt hurt to at least get the carbs dialed in enough to just fire it up when the time comes.
Engines sound twice as mean inside a small room
On a serious note. What a effin bummer... You could always get real **** about anything that needs to shine.
Also just to keep you posted. I still have not had time to balance my carbs... Been getting a business going. I just hope to have the tank on before you fire your bike up again lol.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:49 AM
MotoGP

Dodgey Italian wiring !
Never.... LOL!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wolverine
This is a good thing. When it's ready, it's ready. Better to not rush...
I wish I had that option. I have a wood burning stove for my garage but it's been collecting dust for 5+ years now. I con't spring for the correct pipe needed.
I love heating a place with firewood. Growing up, my Dad's workshop (carpenter) was heated by a small wood stove. My Ma' & Dad's house was heated by a wood stove for about ten years when I was a kid. My Grandparents on my Ma's side raised 14 kids in a house heated by a wood stove. My uncles cabin in the U.P. of Wisconsin is heated by a wood stove. I got very good at splitting wood and carrying it to the stove of most places I went. Whenever I was bad as a kid, my punishment was to split firewood. But, I actually kind of liked it. Whever I live, I'll always have a wood buring fireplace

You could always do what Cheech and Chong did in one of their movies.

Connect a pipe to the exhaust and run it outside, put the bike on rollers and pretend that you are riding it all the while while playing Born To Be Wild.

On a more serious note it's a shame we all need to wait so long to hear your bike running.

I got the Bimota running today , however no spark to front cylinder. Dodgey Italian wiring ! or something I have done.

Keep us posted please.
Haha! "Dave's not here man." My Dad and I still listen to Cheech & Chong on road trips.

I thought about putting my bike on a dyno my friend has access to and breaking it in, but we would only have access to it one hour at a time. It was too much of a hasle with everything involved.

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
DISAPPOINTED!
I know, I know!

Originally Posted by RedStormJ
Do what I do man. As Kenmore stated. Cheech and chong it. Id fire it up inside. Hell it wouldnt hurt to at least get the carbs dialed in enough to just fire it up when the time comes.
Engines sound twice as mean inside a small room
On a serious note. What a effin bummer... You could always get real **** about anything that needs to shine.
Also just to keep you posted. I still have not had time to balance my carbs... Been getting a business going. I just hope to have the tank on before you fire your bike up again lol.
Well, that's the plan now. Complete the new dash install, remove the exhaust and get it coated. Since I have to disassemble the D&D mufflers, I'll repack them. To pay for the work on the exhaust, I decided to sell my extra slipons. I have a decent set of Jardine mufflers and a very nice set of Hindle mufflers. I have no idea what either of them are worth. I might drop Captainchaos a line. He could probably get me into the ballpark.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 12-04-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:55 PM
MotoGP

When the riding season is over, it's time to start my other hobby. Modified saws are an addiction! Been heating w/ wood for close to 10 years and like you, did it all my childhood. My 2 most visited forums this time of year are a chainsaw one and firewood hoarders club. I have about 20 cords split and stacked. If the power goes out, we ain't getting cold...
Old 12-04-2016, 03:15 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine

When the riding season is over, it's time to start my other hobby. Modified saws are an addiction! Been heating w/ wood for close to 10 years and like you, did it all my childhood. My 2 most visited forums this time of year are a chainsaw one and firewood hoarders club. I have about 20 cords split and stacked. If the power goes out, we ain't getting cold...
Lard tunderin' Jeezus... now that's a saw by!!!!!
Old 12-04-2016, 11:56 PM
SuperBike

That thing could feature in chainsaw massacre!

Do you have to get a license for something like that?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:37 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Went for a ride yesterday and had to break out my "winter jacket" as the temps were hovering in the high 40's to low 50's. Bike defiantly runs a bit stronger at these temps.
Sunny and dry. I feel sorry for the less fortunate.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:45 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
Some of us who are not in the "sunny and dry" have other means of keeping busy... like this sweet 2017 Arctic Cat ZR 8000 El Tigre 137... yessir, summer can take its sweet time coming back

Old 12-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Superstock

Do it man. Get that bike just the way you like. but I could in no way resist roughing it in.

20 cord eh... Thats about a week of my childhood. We heated all winter. I thought it was punishment but most weekends were spent in 0* weather splitting wood. Poor is the word. Hated my dad for it but when you grow up your realize there wasn't but ten gallons of oil in the tank and thats all we could afford. The house had poor insulation everywhere. My room had none before I scored a few rolls off my cousin.

El tigre. I had a 6000. Traded it for an EXT when I got the money. It was all rebuilt but the idiot put a ring on upside down. My dad flipped it over and compression went up. Most dangerous machine ive ever touched. 94 EXT 580 bored to who knows piped and who knows what else. If you punched it the sled point up or bury its self. Good fun.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:08 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Boy, oh boy, do I commiserate with you Crux....
Old 12-07-2016, 07:32 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Went for a ride yesterday and had to break out my "winter jacket" as the temps were hovering in the high 40's to low 50's. Bike defiantly runs a bit stronger at these temps.
My apologizes to Crux for the thread jack. I thought I was in the What Did You Do Today thread.

Originally Posted by mikstr
Some of us who are not in the "sunny and dry" have other means of keeping busy... like this sweet 2017 Arctic Cat ZR 8000 El Tigre 137... yessir, summer can take its sweet time coming back

Been there done that (11 years in Alaska). Winter sports are fun, and I miss some of them. The day to day grind of ice, snow, cold and dark got the better of me.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

My apologizes to Crux for the thread jack. I thought I was in the What Did You Do Today thread.

They're more-or-less the same thread to me. "What did I do to my SuperHawk today?" I read about what CRUX did to his SuperHawk today. That's as close as I can usually manage to get.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:38 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Wolverine, how big of trees are you cutting down!? And I thought a 36" was big enough for most trees around here.

A couple years back, I was going through an old barn that was falling over, I found a dusty case with a yellow chainsaw inside, looks to be maybe a 1950's or '60's model. When I opened it, the best I can tell it was never even used. The saw looks brand new. Kind of a neat find. Never tried starting it. Still sits next to the two newer saws that actually run.

My buddy races snowmobiles on frozen lakes for highest MPH in 1000' (I think it's 1000'). His newest toy is a turbo'd Yamaha. He's still dialing it in, but it's a hell of a machine.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:53 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

The size of his saw isn't proportional to the size of the tree, it's indirectly proportional to the size of his, well, you know...

Haven't you seen his jeep?

I drive a Mini.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 12-08-2016 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Apostrophe.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
The size of his saw isn't proportional to the size of the tree, it's indirectly proportional to the size of his, well, you know...

Haven't you seen his jeep?

I drive a Mini.
You can do two trees in one cut.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:17 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

So, you're saying he has some sort of deformity?
Old 12-08-2016, 10:52 PM
Back Marker

Seriously not at all, big respect to him.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:12 AM
SuperBike

Where I live we can't cut down trees because it would hurt the tree huggers !
Old 12-09-2016, 05:11 AM
MotoGP

Oh yes you can. There are several Aussie members on the saw forum...

I borrowed the 50" bar to mill a chunk of maple to boards/planks. Largest I cut was a 36" ash on myproperty. It also go milled.

I too apologize for any thread jack.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I don't mind the thread hijack. It's winter! Not too much going on right now.

I really like that slab! Reminds me of a Salvadore Dali painting for some reason. I know at least three people right now who would pay top dollar for that and have me make a bar top or fancy wrought iron bench seat. The more character the better. Keeping the live edge has been the trend lately. My Dad & I wanted to invest in a rig like you have, but just never got around to actually buying one.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:23 AM
Superstock

hows the eye crux?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk