General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 02:53 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Like this?

I go the extreme of 1500 then 2000!

Very time consuming though.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:23 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedeatons
That is a very good method, but in my opinion needs a couple more steps:

After 1200 dry go to 1000 wet, then 1200 wet. That will GREATLY reduce the milkiness, and will produce amazing depth to your polish work.

I've hand polished way too much in my life, and the wet sanding is a key ingredient.

After wet sanding i slather the part with Mother's mag and aluminum polish, then use a high speed buffing wheel. I do the Mother's process twice.

All these steps equal an amazingly deep, rich polish.

James
Im happy to learn on this. To be clear I use what is called wet and dry paper here. But did all of the sanding with water. So i should add a dry sand as well?
Old 09-14-2015, 06:52 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Ah-ha! Yes, use wet-dry paper and dry sand to the finest paper first, then go back and wet sand. This will make a big difference for you.

I tried going to 1500/2000 before but didnt see enough difference to warrant my time. Do you notice a difference Kenmoore?

James
Old 09-15-2015, 01:49 AM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kenmoore
Like this?

I go the extreme of 1500 then 2000!

Very time consuming though.
Ken is it OK if I just ship my clutch and alternator covers to you for "special treatment"? I can add in a slab of beer if that would help.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Put a new Dunlop Roadsmart II on the front and rode the tar out of it in the NC Mountains.

Noticed it runs slightly better at altitude, so think I'm going to add a shim under the needles and see what it does for me.

Still love riding this bike in the twisties! Wish someone could find a tire that will last, though - I burn through them like no tomorrow - but it's worth it!

Sorry - just brought tires (or oil) into the discussion - flame away!
Old 09-17-2015, 08:25 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
I Installed an EB headlight harness. See how I cut it up.

Eastern Beaver
H4 Single Fairing Relay Kit $54.95
Item #H4S-F

I had heard about this excellent harness from others and that it improves the stock headlight brightness.
Since some previous ("technician" had used quick connects to tie into my headlight wiring) work had damaged my wiring, Eastern Beaver's harness was a "no brainer".

The kit comes relays for low and hi beams. So you need to find a place for them. I zip tied them to the right side of the fairing stay.

Name:  eb1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  120.0 KB

Now run the long supply power wires back to the battery. Just zip tie them with the other existing harness that goes that direction. try to make it flow smoothly choosing a nice route.

Hidden behind the clutch hose here. Buy a big bag of zip ties if you are picky. I seemed to cut out many and before settling on a final path.

Name:  eb4.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  93.4 KB

Nothing fancy here. I just routed the ends into the battery box area and landed them on the terminals. The way I routed the lines through the frame left me with just enough length. I should have shifted the whole length rearward a bit and left less slack at the headlight area. Notice the red wire with the nice fuse holder which is included .

Name:  eb2.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  107.4 KB

Back at the front, see Eastern Beaver's provided male receptacle that plugs into your old headlight female plug. This is so no wiring connections or splicing is needed for customer's installation. There is also a new female headlight plug (not shown) that plugs into your headlight of course.

Name:  eb7.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  103.8 KB

Well as I mentioned before, my wiring was damaged, plus I wanted a secure connection and I didn't want this connection taking up space. So I chopped it out of there and spliced the wires together with crimp connectors.

Name:  eb5.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  97.7 KB

Here is a photo of the mounted relays as seen from above at instrument panel.

Name:  eb6.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  126.4 KB

The relays could be hidden better. Perhaps behind the fairing stay.
If someone has already posted a better location, let me know.
I am pleased with my purchase. The lights are brighter and the harness is of much finer quality than the factory wiring. If only the rest of my wiring were to the same standard.

Last edited by Hangfly; 09-18-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:39 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Good mod. I think most riders on here have that. I was impressed with the increased lighting.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:50 AM
Superstock

Yeah I'm a bit late to the game. But at least us VTR latecomers have you guys to thank for the best methods of sorting things.
Where did you put those relays? I discovered one must be aware of where the fairing rests when hanging new stuff in that "stay area".
Old 09-17-2015, 12:38 PM
MotoGP

Mine are right behind the headlight on the stay. Can barely see them.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:07 PM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
Just part of the commute home, got that exhaust leak fixed, sounding real good

Old 09-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Superstock

Nothing like a stress free commute on the 405.
Why do you split in the 2/3 later on?
BTW, that driver had the right to cross the double yellow. They drive a Mercedes. Roll eyes.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:24 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I ended up watching the whole video. I was cringing the entire time. You were going by those vehicles much faster than I would be comfortable with! But, seeing the other motorcycles, that's probably normal and you get used to it.

It was mentioned that lane splitting might be legal in Wisconsin sometime soon. Not sure if it will pass or not. Nobody here knows what it is. Most would think motorcyclists are being A-Holes by passing everyone. It just takes one jerk who is misinformed to cut you off, because he/she feels its thier duty to do so. If it was legal to lane split here, I would wait a couple, maybe three years before attempting it. It would take a while for motorists to be informed.

With morons texting and watching Youtube videos while they drive, it has become so much more dangerous to be on the roads. Hell yeah I'm still riding, but damn, you really have to pay attention.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:11 AM
ren
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Hangfly
Nothing like a stress free commute on the 405.
Why do you split in the 2/3 later on?
BTW, that driver had the right to cross the double yellow. They drive a Mercedes. Roll eyes.
I gave them the redline because they also brake checked the car that honked at them when they crossed, older guy and lady in a mercedes, my helmet camera got a better look when I turned as I passed them

I got out of the carpool lane because there is no later exit before I need to get out and off the freeway, so I'd have to cross it illegally and risk getting a ticket. Means I have to go about a mile and a half without it, but considering I am MUCH slower than most riders around I have no problem with it
Old 09-18-2015, 11:14 AM
ren
Back Marker

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
I ended up watching the whole video. I was cringing the entire time. You were going by those vehicles much faster than I would be comfortable with! But, seeing the other motorcycles, that's probably normal and you get used to it.

It was mentioned that lane splitting might be legal in Wisconsin sometime soon. Not sure if it will pass or not. Nobody here knows what it is. Most would think motorcyclists are being A-Holes by passing everyone. It just takes one jerk who is misinformed to cut you off, because he/she feels its thier duty to do so. If it was legal to lane split here, I would wait a couple, maybe three years before attempting it. It would take a while for motorists to be informed.

With morons texting and watching Youtube videos while they drive, it has become so much more dangerous to be on the roads. Hell yeah I'm still riding, but damn, you really have to pay attention.
Yeah it's become quite 2nd nature, I am perched up nice and can see what drivers are doing, and head down is obvious most of the time. Chest mounted camera makes everything seem a little closer promise! There is more room than appears but I am happy to have the skinny Superhawk

Honestly as long as I'm not trying to pass too many cars I am usually good, nice thing is the commute home takes 17-22 minutes ALWAYS no matter what traffic is

Agreed anything can happen, I'm riding with 2 cameras (Drift Ghost S on top of helmet in 1080p/60fps and then chest mounted smartphone Nexus 6 shooting in 4K/30fps which is what I posted) that would capture any adverse events. I've had a hit and run on the hawk about 20 months ago getting on the freeway, which prompted me to get the camera setups which I feel completely naked without

My insurance coverage has a $3500 property damage coverage for any accident I could prove was not my fault so if something did indeed happen I would have clear license plates and evidence of my lack of fault which is enough. Yes I would go down, but no more than 30 mph and I'm wearing a full Alpinestars Motegi 1 piece race suit (back and chest protectors coming soon!)

This is my typical commute home 5 days a week, getting to work there is almost no traffic. Some days I don't split and just sit in traffic if I don't feel like doing mental warfare to stay alive

Last edited by ren; 09-18-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:08 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
I do the same here, its legal. Yes you get a sense by how the car is placed in the lane etc as to what they will do. I wont go more than 20kph faster than the traffic to give me time to react if something happens.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Yah i used to do it too... But when i was in cali lane SPLITTING was illegal. Lane SHARING was legal. (Meaning you have to share a lane, not ride the dotted lines).

Try doing it on a 1978 GS750 (water buffalo!!). That was one of my commuters years ago when going from Chula Vista to Torrey Pines up the 5N.

James
Old 09-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Squid

Rubicon0311 is on a distinguished road
I painted my frame black yesterdayName:  20150919_150548_zps1p0zfcyy.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  266.5 KBName:  20150919_150539_zpsdcdqkvk2.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  369.6 KB
Old 09-21-2015, 01:44 PM
Back Marker

UCF Eric is on a distinguished road
Not today, or yesterday, but I finally got the girl back together after a nasty crash.

Name:  zZFkRgq.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  609.9 KB
Old 09-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by UCF Eric
Not today, or yesterday, but I finally got the girl back together after a nasty crash.

Yay! Excellent. Glad you are back in business!!

I also rode mine yesterday for the first ride since new front end, MCCTs, and carb rework. Very pleased except for the front ride which is very harsh. Time to get adjusting or changing springs.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ren
This is my typical commute home 5 days a week, getting to work there is almost no traffic. Some days I don't split and just sit in traffic if I don't feel like doing mental warfare to stay alive
Not to slang the SH but wouldn't a smaller displacement bike be better for this? I watched the video all the time thinking I would get killed in Dallas traffic. It seems like everyone here aspires to be a NASCAR hero.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:50 AM
SuperBike

UCF Eric,

The bike looks good.

Match the wheel colour and it will look better.

Now get out and ride!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Happy to see you up and running again UCF Eric. Life is rough when she is down. Enjoy the ride.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:27 PM
ren
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Big_Jim59
Not to slang the SH but wouldn't a smaller displacement bike be better for this? I watched the video all the time thinking I would get killed in Dallas traffic. It seems like everyone here aspires to be a NASCAR hero.
Oh absolutely, and I play around in my head all the time thinking of getting something else, but I just CAN'T!

I love the power on tap, the noise and presence this bike has. I won't go around saying loud pipes save lives, and I'm far from obnoxious but there is something to be said about people just knowing I'm there that I wouldn't have with a smaller bike
Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 PM
MotoGP

The real question is why every human on the road is surrounded by 4000lbs of steel for one person? Or why so many V8 SUV's that are mostly an ongoing waste of natural resources?

Most guys have one bike, and those little commuter bikes/scooter/mopeds are just not as versatile as the hawk. Ever ride one on a busy freeway in a windy rainstorm? Its not a good situation.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ren
Oh absolutely, and I play around in my head all the time thinking of getting something else, but I just CAN'T!

I love the power on tap, the noise and presence this bike has. I won't go around saying loud pipes save lives, and I'm far from obnoxious but there is something to be said about people just knowing I'm there that I wouldn't have with a smaller bike
I hear ya! I can't bring myself to sell my SH even when it is a narrow focus bike. What it does well brings a smile to my face.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:45 AM
SuperBike

I don't think that the VTR is a narrow focus at all.

It does everything from 900K's in a day to being thrashed on a track for me.

To me one of the best things about the VTR is it's ability to function in a multitude of roles.

It is a very good platform for personal modification as well

I can't see me parting with mine for some time.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:26 AM
MotoGP

+1 Kenmoore, I cant remember thinking the hawk was out of its elements except when I went off road, and even then its not terrible.

Maybe in snow its a bit big and overpowered, but doubt anyone else has that issue.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:07 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Installed low profile (and smaller diameter) windscreen screws and washers...

Why? Because I can

James
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-image.jpg  
Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

And i cleaned it up to get ready for Saturday's ride

James
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-image.jpg  
Old 09-24-2015, 07:15 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
James, she looks beautiful; but she's begging for some red rim tape.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?