General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Traded the Hawk for an '06 FZ1

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 03:31 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Traded the Hawk for an '06 FZ1

Been three long fun years on it, lots of very hard riding and she never let me down once (except for the time it wouldn't start because I had the kill switch on :P )

I ride with a large group of hooligans "islandriders.ca" and we do a lot of bike swappin so naturally I got the itch. Went to Yamaha's demo days and took out an R1 and just for kicks the FZ1. What I was after was a faster, better handling bike than my Hawk. I can keep up to anyone in the twistys on it but anytime we hit an open road they pass me like I'm tied to a post.

I love the twins and hate the hard core ego's of true race reps. They're great when your hard on it but blow the rest of the time. Despite that I fell in love with a buddy's TLR and that got me looking at hard core bikes and my test ride on the R1.

After all I'd heard about the insane amount of power the new 1L inline fours were making I have to admit I was someone nervous. The '06 R1 is rated at 176bhp. So I toodled around some local twisties that I new well and felt right at home and was quite surprised at how user friendly it was. An extremely easy bike to ride. There were a couple of places where I could get a hint at the big power but no sense of any monster lurking around. So off to the freeway and see what she'll really do. Well...honestly..I don't know what all the fuss is about. Ya it goes fast but nothing near eye widening. If the CBR is supposed to be more boring than this they can have it. The power is there, it just builds slowly and the major stuff in all in the crazy zone.

So I still love twins after the R1. Nothing like the instant gratification of getting gobs of power the instant you twist the throttle. Then I hopped on the FZ1. Sitting bolt upright the ergos felt like a dirt bike. Going through the twisties it felt good, really really good, infact I couldn't believe how much fun I was having. Time to see what she's got, 1st and 2nd gear apparently are limited to 100hp and it feels like it. Stick it in 3rd or get it up to 7k and the bike feels like its going to rip out from underneath you. The midrange is a monster and it pulls hard to the 12k redline.

It sounds typical but I didn't want to take it back. In fact after a nearly sleepless night the next day I searched for a used one and nothing came up except, and this is fate for you, one at my local dealership. No others in BC.

So thats that.

I just want to sincerely thank you guys for being so helpfull, knowledgable and cool. The very first bike site that got me hooked on bikes was Greg Nemish's and then the Run Level Zero list which turned into this forum. I've learned a ton, had a blast and built my Hawk into, imo, one of the nicest out there using the stock suspension.

No doubt I'll check back occasionally but for the most part I'll be on the FZ1OA site.

Special thanks to (not in any order):

Superbling
Superhawk22
Greg Nemish
RCVTR

/salute
Old 09-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Can't say that I know you but it's disappointing to see another SHawk rider go. Good luck and safe riding on your new bike.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
"I pity the fool" As long as you are not trading it for a mini van...
Old 09-11-2006, 06:52 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the....Thanks. Sad to see you go to the darkside but hey if you're still on 2 you're still my Bro. Hope you're happy with the choice in the longrun, my buddy sold his FZ1 in about 3 months to go back to a twin but it comes down to personal tastes. Pop in from time to time we still allow Denmah to!
Old 09-11-2006, 09:52 AM
SuperSport

will do :0)
Old 09-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Superstock

selztoad is on a distinguished road
lets see some new pics of her though
Old 09-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
It's a shame you couldn't have more than one, eh? Thanks for the kudos, BTW. I just put a new (to me) used Moriwaki full exhaust on the CBR1000RR, and the bike is now a beast. I know what you mean by boring, and with stock exhaust that's what this bike is. With a slip on it's better. With the full system I'm estimating 157-160hp to the rear wheel, and it feels like it. Getting on the VTR after that is like hopping from the VTR to a Nighthawk 250. But you know what? Sometimes it's fun and gratifying to not go fast all the time, and when you really want to rip in the twisties I still can on the 'Hawk.

Congrats on the new bike....even though it's a Yamahaha. That's my second choice manufacturer, so you didn't do so bad.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:10 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Scott,

Say it ain't so! :-)

Can't fault you too much in that I just picked up another VFR (#6) last week. I hope you don't tire of that IL4 like I did with my bandit. Well, the chassis wasn't great either but that shouldn't be a problem with the FZ. I was looking at those too (1st gen) when I was bought the bandito but they were out of my price range at the time.

Good Luck.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:47 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Talking Sorry to see you go!

I have enjoyed some of your posts despite my short time here. I certainly can understand. The bikes and cars around here are all Honda. The 4 wheelers are all Yamaha. The trucks are all Dodge. The dogs are all Labradors. Happy Trails!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:49 AM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
nice choice for a new bike but that ugly little exhaust would be the first thing to go!!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:19 PM
SuperSport

Strange, some people really like the exhaust, others hate it, no in-between. I think its over the top.

Believe me, I would have preferred it had a high hp V-twin
Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Squid

superbird is on a distinguished road
So.. you're going in-line. Does that mean that Superhawks are out of line ? Hmm.. deep thoughts. Nice looking bikes those FZ-1s. Enjoy !
Old 09-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
Enjoy it. Several of my friends have bought them in the past few seasons and are very happy.

Don't worry. He'll be back. Everyone I know eventually succumbs to the darkside.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Superstock

denmah
i rode a superhawk yesterday and it felt slow and clunky.
i never remember mine being like that... hmm

my 636 and a superhawk is like driving a brand new c6 and then driving a mid 90s iroc z

it just leaves you thinking, "i used to enjoy that"
Old 09-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Superstock

denmah
im not trying to knock on hawks or anything, but dont miss the tq or anything
the 636 makes decent tq (read cheater bike) and not to mention its like 150lbs lighter.

everyone said, ill miss it ill miss it. and quite honestly, ide never look back from a brand new sportbike.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:46 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The 636 and other supersports are 50-60 lbs. lighter than a Super Hawk, which is certainly significant, but nowhere near 150 lbs. The Hawk is lighter than an RC51, a Z1000, an FZ1, so it's not quite the porky beast everyone thinks it is.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by denmah
i rode a superhawk yesterday and it felt slow and clunky.
i never remember mine being like that... hmm

my 636 and a superhawk is like driving a brand new c6 and then driving a mid 90s iroc z

it just leaves you thinking, "i used to enjoy that"
Bring it down here on the track so my IROC can kick the **** out of your c6!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:33 PM
Squid

Scott V
I will only trade my 2005 hawk for one bike and it sure will not have 4 cylinders.
I am pretty sure any decent rider could stomp most of the squids in the tight
stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 09-13-2006, 09:45 PM
MotoGP

Shweet!!