Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

My Mirror Solution - Modified FZ1's

Old 09-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Squid

9Hondas is on a distinguished road
My Mirror Solution - Modified FZ1's

First, thanks to the regulars here that make having a 'hawk a much more satisfiying experience by allowing me to avoid learning things the hard way!

Following another thread https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...=yamaha+mirror

I bought a set of Emgo FZ1 mirrors and didn't like the way they fit either, but they were a good starting point! The main problem as noted is the detent that has them pulled back too far. When pivoted out to a useable angle they are so low that the mirror ball joint won't allow the mirror to be tilted level, plus they stick out very wide and I was afraid I'd be whacking them on cars when splitting lanes. Plus I kinda liked the idea of detents allowing them to fold back when hit.

My solution was to leave the mirror pivot in the detent position, and then cut the aluminum mirror stalk just between the pivot and the outer edge of the rubber boot. I then used my belt/disc sander to cut a new angle on the stalk to rotate it forward and also up. I then TIG welded the stalk back onto the pivot. I had to roll the rubber boot up and pull it up as close to the mirror as possible, and also wrap the stalk near the rubber boot in a wet rag to absorb heat and not melt the abs mirror socket. I also did short weld sections so I could cool the mirror end of the stalk under the faucet and re-apply the wet rag. The heat builds up and travels FAST through the aluminum!

After that I painted the weld areas, rolled the rubber boots down over the weld areas and installed them. Oh, I also used a pneumatic cutoff wheel to cut the threaded studs shorter so I could use the original Honda capped nuts to mount them. They buzz a little at very low RPM where they must have natural resonance with the motor, but otherwise the big field of view is great. I just see tips of my elbows instead of the whole things!

Here's some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails My Mirror Solution - Modified FZ1's-p9101368.jpg   My Mirror Solution - Modified FZ1's-p9101367.jpg   My Mirror Solution - Modified FZ1's-p9101369.jpg   My Mirror Solution - Modified FZ1's-p9101372.jpg   My Mirror Solution - Modified FZ1's-p9101373.jpg  

Old 09-10-2007, 09:19 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Those have got to be the tallest mirrors I've ever seen on a sportbike!
Although they are not my style...I bet you can see sooo much more!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Squid

9Hondas is on a distinguished road
I agree, its kinda like riding a dualsport anyway with the heli-bars and the monster torque.....
Old 09-10-2007, 10:02 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Simpler Solution

Grind the rivets on the R1 mirror mount pivot off & bolt the stalks to the OEM honda mounts. With Don Herve's extenders, I have 2 pivots adjustable for good rear view coverage.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:06 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Ape hangerz!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Squid

nickvtr is on a distinguished road
mirrors

What's so interesting behind that you need that much view?

No one could answer "me the newbie" on the site about mirror block offs besides finding out most use a tie wrap ok track? JDA are fabricating some up that fit properly and signed VTR. So for anyone that has a bling bike do away with the mirrors and look up the Rizoma bar end to go along with it.

And besides those mirrors would never get though the door to my LR.
Just razzin' You did a great job!!!!

New to the forum but belonged to RLZ for many years. I found this site by meeting SH owners at Daytona Bike Week.

I will enjoy!!!
99 Black end table
00 ZX9R outside ready to ride
S. FL
Old 09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
what?

Originally Posted by nickvtr
What's so interesting behind that you need that much view?

No one could answer "me the newbie" on the site about mirror block offs besides finding out most use a tie wrap ok track? JDA are fabricating some up that fit properly and signed VTR. So for anyone that has a bling bike do away with the mirrors and look up the Rizoma bar end to go along with it.

And besides those mirrors would never get though the door to my LR.
Just razzin' You did a great job!!!!

New to the forum but belonged to RLZ for many years. I found this site by meeting SH owners at Daytona Bike Week.

I will enjoy!!!
99 Black end table
00 ZX9R outside ready to ride
S. FL
what is the link to the "JDA" website, and I can't remember where the RLZ site is?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Squid

Search JDA motorcycles. I have been looking for mirror block offs made for the SH. Nothing else fits as you can see by all the extra work and fabrication that is taking place. Especially using *** backwards inferior Yamadog parts! The RLZ is the original SH site that lasted for years but couldn't go on for site up keep etc... This is a professional site that works great for information and just plain talk on the bike. I still need more time to check it out. It's all good!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nickvtr
The RLZ is the original SH site that lasted for years but couldn't go on for site up keep etc...
Ahh, another "newbie".

Point of order: sport-twin.com was the original site and even pre-dated the arrival of the mighty superhawk to our shores.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by superbling
Ahh, another "newbie".

Point of order: sport-twin.com was the original site and even pre-dated the arrival of the mighty superhawk to our shores.

Welcome to the forum!
Wow 1,867 posts did you carry over the ones from the sport-twin. com from 1963?

I am here to get edumacated sumwhat.
Thanks for the welcome. btw born Ft. Worth Cowboys goin all the way? Longhorn's
I'm all for it. Our Dullfins suck!
Nick
S.FL