General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New SH owner, questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:07 AM
Squid

Bloke is on a distinguished road
New SH owner, questions...

Hey all, pleasure to be here and finally on a bike i've drooled over since 98! I could never find the right one, always too many miles or abused, so i would end up with VFR's or 919's instead. (been riding for 25yrs...year old bloke!) Until this week! After a 1 year sabbatical from bikes after my son's birth, I couldn't take it anymore and went hunting, my results, a beautiful MINT 03 example in Blue. 3,300 miles, Jardine High mount, Jetted, fender elimination. I paid $3,750, but honestly would have paid more, the previous owner obviously loved this bike, but sadly newer rode it due to health reasons.
Anyway, I do have some questions; I'm 5'11"/185 lbs any recommendations on front fork upgrades, i heard they are somewhat softly sprung.... .90 springs, heavier oil? Looking for an aftermarket screen, something to help the wind fly a little higher, any recommendations? CCT....I'm totally new to this, what is it and how can i avoid/fix the potential issue?
Tank bra/protector recommendations, sadly our SH's appear to be sliding off the parts lists for most manufactures/parts suppliers. Are most folks shopping UK & Europe?

Anyway, I truly appreciate any responses, & again very much looking forward to the New England summers to finally enjoy this amazing machine!

Best,
Bloke!

Name:  996%20Superhawk_zpsqlkditl3.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  84.3 KB
Old 01-30-2015, 06:20 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Fork springs are a must, but it would be best to follow though with a re-valve also. Your best bet is to contact Jamie Daugherty on this site as he knows VTRs like the back of his hand. For added long-term security, you may want to swap out the rectifier for a MOSFET unit, as well as get rid of the OEM cam chain tensioners for some mechanical units. Finally, some braided lines for the front brakes and a set of decent pads will do wonders for your confidence under braking.

Oh, and welcome aboard
Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 AM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
Me too

Hi Welcome aboard. Bedford, my old home town though I have been in the Boston area since 78. I got mine in the December of 2013. Same color same year with just under 7,000 miles on it, its close to 12,000 now.

I,m 5'9" 165 lbs. The forks are softly sprung but I have not done anything about them yet. Have a Zero Gravity screen that helps but there are taller ones available.

You are going to love this bike. Trash around on this site there is lots of good info to answer all of your questions.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:27 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bloke
I'm 5'11"/185 lbs any recommendations on front fork upgrades
Welcome Bloke! I too am the same height/weight. I chose 85# fork springs (Check out this thread). Have absolutely no regrets doing so. I have to this day not changed the stock valving and my reason is I didn't want to invest a lot in the forks thinking some day I would do the CBR1k swap. If you plan to keep them, definitely try to budget a revalve while you're in there. Proper springs were the single biggest improvement I've ever done to my Hawk.

CCT's keep the cam chain properly tensioned. TONS of info on these, just do a little searching. Get 'em changed asap so your new baby doesn't implode!