Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

New VTR owner-got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Squid

poncho is on a distinguished road
New VTR owner-got some questions

I'm John, I've ridden an SV since '02 but always admired the VTR and knew it would be my next ride. Found a '98 with 4500 miles and gave 3500 clams for it. It looked to be without flaws, and a ride up the street revealed only a late clutch and mushy brakes. I flushed and bled when I got home and problems solved. I discovered while changing the oil that the bike had been bottomed out and the front header was crushed in(the chin spoiler hid this). I took it off and my local muffler shop did an awesome job of pulling it out. Much to my relief as Honda is very proud of this piece of tubing. When changing the oil, I couldn't believe how much oil I was putting in. My SV holds just shy of 3 quarts. After adding 3 quarts and not evening coming to the window, I started dumping in all the partial bottles I had-still low, so I then opened a 4th quart and poured part of it in before I got it right. Does anyone know off hand what the capacity is with the filter change? (bike came w/o manual)
On my first long ride I came out Warwoman road with the fuel light on so I stopped in Clayton to gas up. My *** was clammy so I grabbed a redbull and chilled for 7-10min. When I refired the bike I almost panicked. The bike was making a knocking/pinging sound kinda like a bad lifter on a car motor. It was very noticable and wasn't going away. I thought I'd bought a lemon and the motor was about to let go. I got on 76 and started home. It's a long highway so I rode without slowing for a long stretch. When I arrived in town, the knocking was gone. Since then it's done it a few more times, never on a cold start, just when parking it hot and restarting a few minutes later.....tick-tick-tick-tick-tick. Does anyone know of this? Lastly, and this is kinda embarrasing, how do you adjust the preload and dampning on the forks?
This forum is loaded with great info and will be a huge asset in the near future when the mods begin. Thanks- John
Attached Thumbnails New VTR owner-got some questions-p1010009.jpg  
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by poncho
I'm John, I've ridden an SV since '02 but always admired the VTR and knew it would be my next ride. Found a '98 with 4500 miles and gave 3500 clams for it. It looked to be without flaws, and a ride up the street revealed only a late clutch and mushy brakes. I flushed and bled when I got home and problems solved. I discovered while changing the oil that the bike had been bottomed out and the front header was crushed in(the chin spoiler hid this). I took it off and my local muffler shop did an awesome job of pulling it out. Much to my relief as Honda is very proud of this piece of tubing. When changing the oil, I couldn't believe how much oil I was putting in. My SV holds just shy of 3 quarts. After adding 3 quarts and not evening coming to the window, I started dumping in all the partial bottles I had-still low, so I then opened a 4th quart and poured part of it in before I got it right. Does anyone know off hand what the capacity is with the filter change? (bike came w/o manual)
On my first long ride I came out Warwoman road with the fuel light on so I stopped in Clayton to gas up. My *** was clammy so I grabbed a redbull and chilled for 7-10min. When I refired the bike I almost panicked. The bike was making a knocking/pinging sound kinda like a bad lifter on a car motor. It was very noticable and wasn't going away. I thought I'd bought a lemon and the motor was about to let go. I got on 76 and started home. It's a long highway so I rode without slowing for a long stretch. When I arrived in town, the knocking was gone. Since then it's done it a few more times, never on a cold start, just when parking it hot and restarting a few minutes later.....tick-tick-tick-tick-tick. Does anyone know of this? Lastly, and this is kinda embarrasing, how do you adjust the preload and dampning on the forks?
This forum is loaded with great info and will be a huge asset in the near future when the mods begin. Thanks- John

Nice buy

You should be able to find the owner's manual on this site in pdf format to help you with oil and forks, but the noise may be the auto CCT. Do a search for APE Manual CCTs on this site as that may fix your problem...

Good luck bro,
Rick C.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
4.1 quarts (every one say rotella 10-40w btw)
just put in 4 quarts you will be fine.

the click click its prolly with those low amounts of miles the carb slides.
all vtr's have clicking and whiring sounds you will get used to them

and just search forums for service+manual and you will find the pdf
or hit ebay for like 15-20 bucks.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
14mm adjuster - preload
flat head adjuster - rebound damping (not dampning or dampening - nothing is getting wet here. )