General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New SH Owner Questions?

Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 AM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
New SH Owner Questions?

This is my first post on the forum so I hope this is the right place. I've been lurking here for about six months to see if I wanted to buy a VTR1000 or a VFR800. The VTR won. Yesterday I purchased a 98 that is almost flawless (as far as cosmetics go) but it has 42k miles. I had a leak down test done on it and it is at 11-13% on both cylinders. The CCT has not been replaced. From what I've read, that is a MUST replace. Anything else I should really do to it besides changing the oil and making sure nothing is going to fall off before I start using it on a regular basis? Also is 42k considered high miles and how many miles can I expect to get out of it by doing recommended servicing? I couldn't really find anything by doing the search on engine life expectancy.
Thanks in advance. This forum has been very helpful in researching the Super Hawk.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:54 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
The rectifyer goes pretty often, too, and most folks upgrade with a R1 / R6 unit and / or a CPU fan. I think these are the two items EVERYONE replaces first.

I was just looking at APE CCT on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en

Or you can see if these folks still make this replacement item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-VT...item3a54b1864a

R.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:19 AM
SuperSport

BTW: Here's the CPU fan mod -- http://www.burniemorgan.com/firestorm/reg_heatsink.html

I don't have the R1/R6 retrofit bookmarked, but you can find it in the search. It's not too difficult a mod, but I'm still using the official Honda aftermarket w/ the fan ATM.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crashrat
The rectifyer goes pretty often, too, and most folks upgrade with a R1 / R6 unit and / or a CPU fan. I think these are the two items EVERYONE replaces first.

I was just looking at APE CCT on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en
Been after a set of these for ages and cant get sorted cos i live in ireland, emailed that guy to see if he can help me out?

Can anyone else help me, point me in the right direction?

Can hear the rattle from her and am actually worried about riding her hard now in case she lunches the cam chain but i dont want to replace with the honda ***** again ive been holding off to try and get a set of these....

But anyway, as the man says, Reg/Rec and CCTs.

And a full service and check over when you get it home, as with any new vehicle!

The vfr reg is mentioned above, has anyone replaced with one of them? Much cheaper than an R1 or R6 unit i would imagine.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 AM
SuperSport

I would relay the APE to you, Forde, but I'm moving next week and would hate to see something lost in the mail. Let me know if you don't find a solution in a month or so when I'm settled.

The VFR has the same rectifyer issues as the VTR. Honda always has these issues with cam chains, CCT and reg / rec. It's weird that they don't work a little harder on these problems.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Back Marker

on that link it says the ref from the vfr is much larger and finned and they hope to see it on the 2001 update vtr?? lol must be an old site!

yeah i would appreciate your help in a few weeks maybe if i dont get something sorted out.. im trying to get registered on firestorm uk forum to see where people over here get stuff from too i have yet to find anywhere with manual CCTs over here from searching around tho
Old 12-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If you have a half decent drillpress you can make your own manual CCT's by butchering the stock ones... Drill out the internals and thread to replace with a 8mm bolt with a wide rounded head (usually used on wooden doors/gates, dunno the name in English) and the old body is a perfect fit gasket wise... You can usually find used CCT's on eBay for peanuts (Why, I'll never know, though, as I'd never recommend using a used set as is...)

Lemme know if you wan't more info...
Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Back Marker

hmm

ill see how i go, got onto firestorm uk there so going to ask where people got their ape's over here.

ive no drill press or anything, although i have friends with fully tooled up workshops.

the ape's are a very reasonable price imo and look trick anodised too, and this is one of those parts id wanna do right as well so think ill try and get them first and if that fails try something else
Old 12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard!

it's a honda, not a chevy. these things can go forever if properly maintained and not beat to hell, yet still can be ridden hard.

your weight, skill level, street or track, etc., should determine how you determine initial upgrades other than the RR and CCT, so you'll have to share your info.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:59 AM
SuperSport

Sure, give me a shout in a few weeks. I'll be ordering the APEs by then anyhow. Have you checked UK's Ebay?

I think the VFR reg is bigger, but you can find pictures of the OEM unit compared to an R1 / R6 / GSXR here somewhere and it's substantial. Only one guy I've read about has had a failure after installing an R1 reg. And to be honest, I think the other ones are as cheap on Ebay, so you might as well go with the best (biggest?) unit you can afford.

My bike came with the Honda upgrade so I just installed a heat sink and CPU fan, but I'll switch over this winter.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tweety
(usually used on wooden doors/gates, dunno the name in English)
That would be a "Carriage Bolt"

As far as mileage on the motor is concerned, I have close to 80k miles on mine and she is still running strong, so you should have no worries at 42k
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Crashrat
Sure, give me a shout in a few weeks. I'll be ordering the APEs by then anyhow. Have you checked UK's Ebay?

I think the VFR reg is bigger, but you can find pictures of the OEM unit compared to an R1 / R6 / GSXR here somewhere and it's substantial. Only one guy I've read about has had a failure after installing an R1 reg. And to be honest, I think the other ones are as cheap on Ebay, so you might as well go with the best (biggest?) unit you can afford.

My bike came with the Honda upgrade so I just installed a heat sink and CPU fan, but I'll switch over this winter.
aye ive watched our ebay for months you dont get manual ccts over here for the vtr. theres only one listing i saw for the ape's on us ebay never mind uk lol

yeah you can get r1 and r6 units cheap enough on ebay, ill probly do that i need to get round to it but ccts are top priority atm..
Old 12-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Back Marker

http://www.debben.co.uk/acatalog/Bil...tensiones.html

success!! a UK site, some dude on firestorm uk just showed me it. check those out lol
Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Bytes,
42k miles is not excessive, it's a Honda. My '05 has 36,500 and I had a '78 CX500 with 72,000 miles, and still running strong, when I sold it in '86.

Your cylinder leakdown test numbers are good as well. Have fun and enjoy the torque.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Back Marker

yeah there are loads of people on here with 80k plus and some with a lot more than that!!

there was a dude on a bandit forum i was on with over 250k on a suzuki bandit O.o
Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 PM
Bytes
Back Marker

Bytes is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info on the rectifyer. I had read about the CCT a while back. It did take me a while to figure out what CCT stood for. I have a ton of questions but first I will do some searches to try to figure them out from other posts. It is amazing how many questions you have after buying something... especially since I thought I had it all figured out.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:27 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bytes
Thanks for the info on the rectifyer. I had read about the CCT a while back. It did take me a while to figure out what CCT stood for. I have a ton of questions but first I will do some searches to try to figure them out from other posts. It is amazing how many questions you have after buying something... especially since I thought I had it all figured out.
It's kinda like graduating from college, then finding out you know nothing. Don't feel bad, keep the cup have empty and there's alway something to learn.