General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Squid

OldnInTheWoods is on a distinguished road
New Owner

I'd posted a couple of times that I was lookin for one of these, love their sound. Finally found one north of Denver, so took Amtrak west to Fort Morgan, CO (about 50 mi east of Denver) and met the seller. 2001 with not quite 19,000 miles. About 95 % stock, maybe 98%. Not sure, it might have bar risers and does have a Zero Gravity double-bubble screen. Has manual CCT's. The grips are CRAP, they slip and are "gooey" sticky. Drive my hands crazy. I rode it back to Omaha that day, 460 miles. About killed myself with sore butt and hands until I loaded up with Tylenol and began a frequent-stop regimen. Made it fine, but the thing feels less than stable in corners, which I'm not used to at all. I need to have someone familiar with these bikes ride it. My XR650L feels far more stable in corners than this thing does (I have Avon Distanzia tires on my XR, so it's far more capable on-road that it was with the OEM 50/50 tires). Took a couple of weeks before I had the chance to clean it up. I'll try to post a couple of photos. Wish it had non-OEM exhaust, it's so quiet I'm rather un-nerved about it.

Wait a minute, how do I post photos to this site? Hmmmmm...will have to do a little playing around.

One thing which cheered me up during my ride east to Omaha was the looks I got when I'd pull my helmet off. People think the bike's a "crotch-rocket" so when this 63 yr old with gray hair and beard appeared I got more'n a couple of "WHAT the..?! looks. Pretty funny.

OK, now to trying to figure the photo thing out.

John
Old 09-18-2013, 04:09 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Nice, and welcome! People have plenty of preferences on the seat and how to make it work for them with this bike. 460 miles is a pretty good run on a new to you ride!

Easiest way to post photos is to upload to a host site (such as photobucket), then copy the image link they provide and paste it over here.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Back Marker

VtrInMtl is on a distinguished road
If the tires are worn or mismatched these things dart all over the place. Check that first then worry about more serious stuff.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Back Marker

996thehawk is on a distinguished road
Check your tire pressure as well. I rode a friends Gixxer for the first time all season and the bike was all over the place. I checked the pressure and they were in the mid 20s. I topped them off and it was completely different. The Hawk takes 36psi in the front and 42psi in the rear.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 996thehawk
The Hawk takes 36psi in the front and 42psi in the rear.
However, thats for your bike and whatever tires you have on it. Not everyones
Old 09-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Best way for the in the garage psi setting is the 10% rule. Worked well for me.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Squid

KLR996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KCCO
... the 10% rule ...
I'd guess the rule is 10% less that the sidewall recommends, but that's just a guess. Care to expand on this?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
See here: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ve-moss-30348/
Old 09-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
However, thats for your bike and whatever tires you have on it. Not everyones
Agreed. I'm just going by the manual and it's probably just a good place to start.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 AM
Squid

Thanks for your comments, guys. I, too, found very low pressures after I arrived in Omaha (yes, I know, utterly stupid not to have confirmed prior to hitting the road, I know better and still forgot to take this most-basic step). Once set to spec the bike was MUCH better, but it's still somewhat unsettling to me at times. I do think I'm becoming used to it and such is making my experience better with each ride (pretty much daily until weather prevents). The tires are mis-matched and I will see to that as soon as I can. I'm glad for that advice. I'll also check out that tire pressure article.

Does anyone know of a good way to modify the OEM exhaust for a little more sound?

Thanks again!

John
Old 09-24-2013, 04:58 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OldnInTheWoods
Thanks for your comments, guys. I, too, found very low pressures after I arrived in Omaha (yes, I know, utterly stupid not to have confirmed prior to hitting the road, I know better and still forgot to take this most-basic step). Once set to spec the bike was MUCH better, but it's still somewhat unsettling to me at times. I do think I'm becoming used to it and such is making my experience better with each ride (pretty much daily until weather prevents). The tires are mis-matched and I will see to that as soon as I can. I'm glad for that advice. I'll also check out that tire pressure article.

Does anyone know of a good way to modify the OEM exhaust for a little more sound?

Thanks again!

John
Go to knowledge base and bafflectomy
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
The mismatched tires are probably the cause of the "unsettling" now that your pressures are correct.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:19 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I've used these ProGrip grips for about 13 years on various bikes because I love them so much. Model 699 Gel Grip.

Black PROGRIP Closed End Sportbike Gel Grip Model 699 | eBay

If you can find a set of Erion exhaust cans - get 'em! They are amazing.

Sargent will redo your seat for not too much money. Top quality, and they do closed cell foam inserts if you need it to ride better.

Welcome!

James
Old 09-24-2013, 08:18 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
John

Welcome to crew - enjoy the Hawk they are great motos

After you sort the exhaust - (I agree w/ James about Erion cans)

I would suggest Hot Grips - nothing like having warm hands on a chilly ride.

And of all the mods I've done - suspension was the best. Depending upon ur weight, stock VTRs were made for someone about 170 lbs.

I'm 230 and the Ohlins rear & Racetech springs were a night & day difference.

Enjoy & Be Safe
Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Squid

You guys are FABULOUS. Thanks so much.

I'll look into the Erion exhaust, I don't know anything about those, just know I wasn't about to spend the money for some of the more expensive systems.

I really appreciate all the tips.

John
Old 09-24-2013, 07:07 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
What are you looking for low or hi mounts?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Squid

HRCA, I'd want low mount exhausts. I like that look. Actually, I like both, but there's something about the low that I favor. Suggestions that are within an old man's budget?!

John
Old 09-25-2013, 07:46 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by OldnInTheWoods
HRCA, I'd want low mount exhausts. I like that look. Actually, I like both, but there's something about the low that I favor. Suggestions that are within an old man's budget?!

John
John bafflectomy on stock pipes is economical and you take it as far as you want to go. I like the looks of the stock mufflers personally. The way they are angled and the excellent workmanship. Have you taken a look at knowledge base here?
Old 09-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Back Marker

Oury grips are my favorite. I put them on everything I own. They may not look the best but the grip is exceptional and they cut down on vibration a lot. Good luck with the bike!