General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Possibly new SHawk owner - Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Squid

jneel is on a distinguished road
Possibly new SHawk owner - Quick Question

Hello-
I am thinking about getting a 1998 Superhawk and was wondering if $3,000 is a good price. The bike was "dropped in driveway" so fairings were pulled along with the speedo and odometer. It is now a naked bike with new paint and a little customized in the motor area (pipes, air filter, jet kit, regeared, modified cam). I am nervous about the lack of knowledge about the miles on it. Is the bike worth it you think? The bike is believed to have around 20k miles on it. I drove it and it runs awesome, but the lack of an odom is worrying me. I've already checked and no issues with getting it titled where I am at.

Should I just get it and have fun or keep looking?

Thanks for any help. Only my second post.
Jneel
Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I vote get it and have fun. The most important thing is how it runs, and you said that was fine. Go for it, sounds like a good deal to me. I'd be embarrassed to say what I paid for my '05!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
To me a chopped up 1998 SH, unknown condition, mileage ect, is worth about $2k or less. To each his own... You will find folks who paid less for more, and more for less. Personally, I'd move on unless it is just one of those have to have feeling... And in that case RUN...LOL
Old 03-08-2007, 10:35 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm with TXSC.... 3K for that year and mileage is about fair for a standard/stock 'Hawk.... some have done better, and some worse...

I'd think you can probably negotiate a bit on that perticualr bike considering your fears of the odo/mileage will probably be pretty universal for anyone looking at that bike... if you can knock a few hundred off, I'm sure you'd feel better about chancing it!!! Otherwise in the 3K range, you find others if your willing to look and wait...

J.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:03 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I agree. Also, think how long will you keep it. Turning it next time will be even tougher explaining things from the previous owner etc, which always gets less believable for each subsequent owner. One of the benefits of buying a nearly 10 year old bike is you shouldn't lose much money from the deal if you have fun with it and decide to sell it in the short term. I think its a lot more questionable in this case compared to a bike with better history (which at most could cost you 1000 more for a comparable year/mileage). The dropped in driveway thing might explain a few scratches but seems harder to believe as the reason to chop to a naked and new paint.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Squid

jneel is on a distinguished road
Well I appreciate your help guys.
A lot of whats been said were my fears too. I agree with Duck007, but I have that gut feeling that is lingering too mcuh.
If I had money to blow I'd just get it because it runs so good. Man it is fast, but I just can't get the lack of history and no known mileage out of my head. He was asking $3500 and I got him down to $3,000 and after asking again he wasn't going to move any lower on $.
So I am just going to wait. I'm in no hurry.

Damn I hate growing older and being responsible and doing the right thing. It really gets in the way sometimes

Again thanks for the info.
Jneel
Old 03-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Me thinks you made the right call...I bought mine in AL....or is it LA...Lower Alabama, Nov year before last...paid $3100 for a 99' with only 5070 miles on it...never down, or anything like that...so in your neck of the woods you should do much better than what he was asking with all of the questions...lol

They are fast....that is if you were looking at the black ones. as they are the fastest....Zoom, zoom
Old 03-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep your eye's peeled! There are some good one's out there that are complete and with many extras! I think you did good with your gut!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
I paid 5100$ for 98 immaculate with lots of mods(all body work)so once again go with your gut, if it rides good and is calling your name buy it, if not wait and find a better deal