General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

new 98' vtf1000 owner

Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Never Go Full Retard!
Squid

smittyvtf1 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb new 98' vtf1000 owner

I need some parts and info if in here! looking for front and rear footpegs complete set, i have driver pegs but there bent, the prev owner has layed down the bike! Also the bike runs good but at cruisin speed (35,45) the bike pops and bike fires a little bit? When the bike accelerates it sounds perfect! any ideas, gimme a shout! Also im new to the v-twin superhawk so if there are any good mods out there help me out!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Ottawa, Ont.
Squid

Riff is on a distinguished road
Smitty, welcome to the forum. You've happened upon a great place to learn and share.

The welcome is sincere, BUT... as I'm in an uncharacteristically foul mood today, I'm going to tell you what's wrong with your post. Judging by your Join Date and knowing what today's date is, I'm going to wager you have not lingered around long? Judging by the effort you put into typing coherently, I'll wager again that you have invested little to no effort into researching the archives, where you just might find this very same questioning answered a couple of dozen times. Nobody want to tackle your question, but the effort is too great. Wouldn't it have been nice if you surfaced with an opener that read something like:

"Hey guys, John Smith here, been riding 23+ years, but this is my first V-twin. Been studying your archives for months now. Great reading! I've come up these 5 most popular mods.
1-blah
2-blah
... 5-blah
Given my budget of $, and my wrenching skills (4 ot of 10), what would you guys recommend I tackle first?

(Disclaimer: I speak for me and not this forum, I am grumpy today and apologize in advance if I have offended you)
Old 06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Back Marker

Shmittay
Oh hey another smitty :wavey:

Where are you located? Are you looking for just the pegs themselves or the entire rearset piece?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Never Go Full Retard!
Squid

Lightbulb Well know!

I would agree you are in a bad mood so no, no offense takin', so lets start out with the following:
1. I dont think people give a **** about my life story i just wanted to get to the point!
2. I have done research and ebay has what i need but it's too much of a hassle bidding on stuff, and also money is tight so i was looking for something slightly used!
3.My name is Kevin, in 24 yrs old, riding for three years, owned 3 bikes (zx6r, gsxr750, and a 98' vtf 1000r)

I'm sure the bike is running lean and either needs a jetkit or carb tuning either way i'm simply looking for some intel or any other issue that might become with owning this bike!

I am no certified mechanic but i do have common sense, inwhich i have developed some skills working on these bikes and posting my current problems for future superhawk owner's! Not to be rude just stating the facts scooter!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Never Go Full Retard!
Squid

Lightbulb Thank you!

I'm looking for the entire mount and peg! When i bought the it they were not on the bike and i have no idea where they went! I'm in owensboro,ky
Originally Posted by Shmittay
Oh hey another smitty :wavey:

Where are you located? Are you looking for just the pegs themselves or the entire rearset piece?

Last edited by smittyvtf1; 06-02-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: no location
Old 06-02-2009, 02:50 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
As for the running lean, search the forum for "needle shim" for the cheap fix or if you'd rather the Factory Pro jet kit (for something just over $100) is the preferred kit for our bikes.

A needle shim, and carb sync is probably all you need though.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smittyvtf1
I would agree you are in a bad mood so no, no offense takin', so lets start out with the following:
1. I dont think people give a **** about my life story i just wanted to get to the point!
2. I have done research and ebay has what i need but it's too much of a hassle bidding on stuff, and also money is tight so i was looking for something slightly used!
3.My name is Kevin, in 24 yrs old, riding for three years, owned 3 bikes (zx6r, gsxr750, and a 98' vtf 1000r)

I'm sure the bike is running lean and either needs a jetkit or carb tuning either way i'm simply looking for some intel or any other issue that might become with owning this bike!

I am no certified mechanic but i do have common sense, inwhich i have developed some skills working on these bikes and posting my current problems for future superhawk owner's! Not to be rude just stating the facts scooter!
Welcome to the forum.
Not entire life story but a small intro is nice and goes a long way.
I would agree with Riff, there is plenty of info on mods already out there. Just start reading Knowledge base and Performance Mod sections. Will get plenty to keep you busy for 6 months or so.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hey Riff, way to welcome the newbie! Ummm....I just let this go....

Smitty, to the forum. Lazn's recommendation of shimming needles might help if you have aftermarket cans and no jet kit. If stock then that'll just make you run rich in the midrange. I WILL concur with the carb sync though, but first adjust the mixture screws to 2.0-2.25 turns out.

Can't help you on the parts. Ebay really is your best bet, as is this forum.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
welcome to the wonderfull world of torque.(SuperHawk) once you get to the bottom of your problems you will find these bikes are a compleate joy. i have only had mine since october i think. i just took mine to the shop and let them do the work on the carbs. so cant really be of use to you there. but i will tell you that the first mod i got before pipes jet kit or anything else i got the A.P.E cam chain tensioners. also i suggest you do the same. oh and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Never Go Full Retard!
Squid

Thanks alot guys, hopefully i can get it all straight'd out by the weekend! One more question...How many of you have re-geared your bike's, gears seem a little long!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Hi. My name is Dave. Im 30 years old and have been riding combustion driven two wheelers for 25 years. I am a mediocre mechanic
(4-5out of 10) but im getting more proficient. I enjoy long walks off of short piers,watching paint dry,hardley riders and thier middle fingers and a plethora of other great and enjoyable things!!! Welcome!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Wearing the Vtwin grin!
Squid

Bikephreak is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dshakes
Hi. My name is Dave. Im 30 years old and have been riding combustion driven two wheelers for 25 years. I am a mediocre mechanic
(4-5out of 10) but im getting more proficient. I enjoy long walks off of short piers,watching paint dry,hardley riders and thier middle fingers and a plethora of other great and enjoyable things!!! Welcome!
Old 06-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Back Marker

nfbzike
Originally Posted by smittyvtf1
I'm looking for the entire mount and peg! When i bought the it they were not on the bike and i have no idea where they went! I'm in owensboro,ky
"Also the bike runs good but at cruisin speed (35,45) the bike pops and bike fires a little bit?"

after reading these 2 lines i have concluded you should stop riding the bike until you have rear brakes, pegs, and a shifter.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dshakes
Hi my name is Dave too and I am much like you, but I rate myself a 6-7 mechanic and also enjoy beer

Oh, and welcome newcomer and change out that 130 front tire for a proper 120.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:36 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
What's a VTF1000R? Sorry I had to...welcome aboard
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
well smitty, at least you found out that there might be a more than a few ballbusters on this forum who are gonna keep you honest, and I'm sure they're happy as hell that you offered them a new set of ***** to break. And we thank you. Now take your quest to classifieds where it's supposed to be, now!~

just kiddin.Welcome. but don't f*ck up again unless you like the harassment.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Street Fighter
Squid

Denverhawk is on a distinguished road
Tough crowd. Welcome. I never did any better then ebay after some shopping around for rider/passenger peg replacements. I went +2 in back, -1 in front and love it, works great for me and my riding.