General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Introduction of new So. Cal member

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Squid

Twins is on a distinguished road
Introduction of new So. Cal member

Hi All,

I just acquired a 98 for a song. But it needs some work, so it'll be a while before she sings. The story goes that the PO, a friend of mine, was on the freeway when a pipe fell off a plumber's truck in front of him. The pipe hit the header, and smashed the clutch cover plate. The bike did not go down, but was put into a garage in 2005 and not ridden since. He bought the cover with water pump impeller and the new gasket. So, I get to put her back together. I have a few questions and needs which will come along later.

Here's some pics of the new to me bike. As you can see the impeller is pretty rusted. OK to clean off and install? Any other start up tips since she has been down for four years? I'd like to keep costs down until I know she runs well.

Glad to be part of the group.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Introduction of new So. Cal member-0520091935.jpg   Introduction of new So. Cal member-0501090851.jpg   Introduction of new So. Cal member-0501090850.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 AM
Simi Valley, CA
Back Marker

lowell is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum..

While we don't ride as a grp, call a ride
Old 05-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Impeller should be fine with a good clean.Check the bearing underneath,replace if necessary and definitely replace the waterpump mechanical seal ( bout $40 from Honda).
If she was stored with old gas I would drain the tank/carbs,put in fresh gas with some sea foam to clean the system,new oil,charged battery and hit the key.
Before any serious riding it would be a good idea to inspect the chain/sprockets and replace if necessary,if not lube and adjust.Also bleed the clutch and brake hydraulic systems.Brake fluid collects moisture and you don't want water in the hydraulics.Looks like a nice bike.Good luck..!!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:20 AM
Squid

Thanks for the sea foam advice. I did not know about that product. I also read in the Hayne's manual to pull the plugs, oil the cylinders, and turn the motor to lube the cylinder walls. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Tried to charge battery, but was a no go. I ordered a new one from hondapowersportsparts.com ($3.99 shipping) along with bolts to attach clutch cover.

The mechanical seal has never been in operation. Still replace? I should mention that the impeller is installed in new clutch cover already. As far as I understand it, new impeller, bearing, oil seal and mechanical seal.

Last edited by Twins; 05-21-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: unclear picture
Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Twins
Thanks for the sea foam advice. I did not know about that product. I also read in the Hayne's manual to pull the plugs, oil the cylinders, and turn the motor to lube the cylinder walls. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Tried to charge battery, but was a no go. I ordered a new one from hondapowersportsparts.com ($3.99 shipping) along with bolts to attach clutch cover.

The mechanical seal has never been in operation. Still replace? I should mention that the impeller is installed in new clutch cover already. As far as I understand it, new impeller, bearing, oil seal and mechanical seal.
To clean the impeller you must press its shaft from the bearing.This will allow inspection of the bearing and it will also disturb the mechanical seal.I would replace the seal.Why risk a leak for a $40 seal and have to tear it apart again if it does leak?
If your worried about trying to replace it yourself,take the cover to the local Honda shop and have them do it.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
It's pretty much impossible to swap the impeller without destroying the mechanical seal. If you have a good selection of sockets and a vice you can do the install yourself. You might also need a steel rule, finely graduated. There is a specification for how far you press the part in. See the service manual for details.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Oh and since you are new, read up in the KB section, there is a link there to the service manual, and lots of good info: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...splay.php?f=40
Old 05-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum.

BTW, looking at your pics, your buddy must have **** a brick when that pipe came flying at him. Hope he bought a lottery ticket that day.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:11 PM
Squid

He was lucky for sure, I'm sure that had something to do with storing the bike for a while. Thanks for the reference to the KB. I've had fun looking up all of the little things I've already noticed - tough seat to remove (I thought I was just lame). I like seeing the builds that are going on too, but I'm mostly a stock guy.

Thanks for the warm welcome.