General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

New member introduction with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Squid

Daddie O is on a distinguished road
Arrow New member introduction with some questions

Hi everyone, Daddie O here. A little about myself; I'm a stay at home dad (domestic engineer) living in Northern California. The spring weather has me itching to buy a motorcycle again, and I am strongly considering a Superhawk.

I started out with a Yamaha Seca 400 which I drove as my only transportation for a couple years even though it was kind of a piece of junk. I then moved on to a Honda Sabre 700 which I greatly enjoyed for a few years until I moved to Reno and traded it for a '65 Barracuda. A few years went by and I missed riding, especially when the weather was nice, and I bought a 1978 Honda Goldwing GL1000. It was a comfortable cruiser, kind of like driving a Cadillac. I rode the Goldwing for a couple of years and then sold it once I became a new dad. I kind of got rid of all my toys (classic car project, motorcycle, and sailboat), and my life became a little less fun. It's time to inject a little more fun into my life and I think the Superhawk may fit the bill.

I am going to meet the owner of a 1999 Superhawk today, and likely purchase it. The bike just turned 37K miles, up from the 5K miles the bike had when he purchased it four years ago. He has ridden the bike to work on nice weather days so its no garage queen, and it has never been dropped. He says all he has done is lube the chain, change the oil, change the tires, change the chain, sprocket and battery a couple times and ride it. He likes the bike, but wants to buy a new toy so he's selling it at what I think seems like a pretty decent price.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you could help me with. What should I be looking out for when checking out this Superhawk? Is 37K miles "high mileage" for this bike? How long can a Superhawk go, if well maintained? What would you consider a fair price for a Superhawk of this age and mileage? My past two bikes have been shaft drive bikes; How often does the chain have to be lubed and how often does it need to be replaced? How often does the sprocket need to be replaced? What maintenance would you do after picking up a used Superhawk?

I appreciate any help and advice given. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum! I think a SuperHawk is an excellent choice to inject some fun into your life. You didn't mention how much the seller wants but if it is $2500 - $3000 range that is reasonable - assuming great shape and meticulous maintenance.
37,000 is mid life but there are numerous members with far more miles. Do the maintenance and the SH is fairly bullet proof.
When you look at the bike check to to see if the cam chain tensioner has been replaced (CCT) with a manual one. The CCT seem to be a bit weak on this bike and if the chain jumps it will bend a valve.
Also check the Regulator/rectifier to see if it has been replaced with a finned one. OEM on a 99 has no fins and there has been a number of failures reported.
Chains are no big deal but they will have to be lubed and cleaned. Easy enough if you get a brush and can of WD40. I do mine weekly, takes less than 5 minutes.

Good luck. Let us know how this turns out
Old 03-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well a couple of quick answers. 37k is not bad at all, I'm at 80K with mine and all is still going strong.

Nothing special to check for. The regulator\rectifier on the early models is known to be a weak point. Also you will hear all kinds of Can Chain Tensioner horror stories. I would replace them on a used bike as you have no idea what their history is. You can either use the stock replacements or manual one, whichever makes you feel better.

As for the chain, wear is main based on how you ride and how you take care of it. As for cleaning intervals, some go by mileage, mine i do when it's dirty.
Then there is the whole chain lube debate. Some use it and some don't. I don't use the stuff as it just attracts dirt but I won't get into that here.

Welcome to the forum
Old 03-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the fold. Nice to have an occasional new member that writes in full and cogent sentences.

I hope you get the Hawk. If I were limited to just one bike for the rest of my life, this would be it. In addition to all the advice the other members are giving you about the bike's sensitive points, you should know that the Hawk is very sensitive to its state of tune. If the carb is slightly out of tune or synch, you will notice it. When it is running right, it is a willing revver with bags of torque. Wear a full face helmet though or people will think you're simple minded with that constant grin on your face.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
Chain....check your adjustment marks on your potental buy to see how much the chain has streched. NEVER trust marks for proper alignment! Clean it .....when I clean the bike. I use 90wt gear oil, tooth brush, and rags. Lots of rags! It gets messy, but clean.

Lube....the ONLY answer !! Buy a Scott Oiler !!! PERIOD!!! Adds life and auto oils the chain. Google it for a dearer in the states. I got mine in the UK in 1999. 56+K and on my second chain.

Good luck. You won't be disappointed with a Hawk.

Fish
Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Squid

Well guys thanks for the welcome! The sad thing is I didn't get the Superhawk. I answered the guys ad within 2 hours of his posting it and he said he was busy at IKEA with his wife, but he would meet me on Saturday after noon. I didn't get a call from him until I called him twice and he said his day got messed up he had to take two vehicles to IKEA to pick up the furniture and he would be busy for the rest of the day putting it together. He offered to meet me Sunday morning, but he never called, nor returned my calls, and he now has it posted as sold/gone. He had me get the cash out of the bank and wait around for him all weekend and he sold it to someone else
Old 03-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well that sucks but you can locate a nice one around here without too much trouble.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Squid

I kinda fell in love with it before I even bought it, even though I didn't ride it. I sold myself on a Superhawk based on looks and reviews and video clips. I love the style of it and the sound of the V-Twin. I'll keep my eyes out for another.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Squid

I may have found another one, with less miles (only 16K) for a little bit more $. This one was dropped at low speed, and then sold to the 2nd owner after the first owners wife made him sell it. The second owner took the bike to a shop and had them check the wheels and motorcycle frame for any bend or damage and there was none. He had the shop check out the valves and the shop said they are good. He then replaced the front brake lever and the rear brake lever, replaced the right side foot peg and the right side mirror, and replaced the stock tires with Michelin Pilot 2's. He says there is some light scratches on the right front faring that could be touched up or put a sticker over, but no cracks. The second owner then lost his job, and he could use some money to get through the spring so he is letting it go for a good price. Whatcha think?
Old 03-28-2010, 05:13 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
there are a lot of these bikes out there. take a few weeks and find a good one with good records and evidence someone took care of it. none should be expensive. You didn't say what kind of riding you do.

we all love the SH, of course, its not perfect, especially stock. the suspension sucks and the seat is not comfortable. so finding one that someone may have upgraded a few parts is a good thing if they were an enthusiast and did it right and those mods are very common.

Its worth expanding your search to find a good bike that already has some of that done IMO - it makes the bike a lot nicer. Its a pretty active forum, so if you expand your search and find a bike that needs checking out somewhere else, someone could maybe look at it for you.

good luck.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Squid

I'd say I'm basically a sport cruiser type. The days of wanting to scrape my knee through the turns are over, but I do want something that handles well on pleasure cruising through the twisties, and has enough size and power to carry my frame (6'2 250lbs). I'll admit I'm fired up to get a Superhawk, and I want to get one before my motorcycle money ends up getting used for something else. Do you think I should pass up a low mileage stock Superhawk because someone dropped it taking off from a stop sign on some sand/gravel, even though the things that were broken have been replaced?
Old 03-28-2010, 05:55 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
if you are reasonably sure that is all it was, it wouldn't worry me too much in terms of function. just remember when it comes time to sell it you'll then have to explain all that. and I certainly would factor that into the price - should be less not more. You might want to just do a completed listings search on ebay or do a national craigslist search to see what prices are going for. they are not high. also be sure to check this list classified or for sale areas.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 PM
Squid

I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning. It's about 75 minutes drive from my house. The negotiated price is $2,000
Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 AM
Squid

After the first hawk owner flaked on me I kept looking for another. Well, I checked out the hawk that was 75 minutes away. He misrepresented it's condition. It had far more than a minor scratch on one fairing. Both fairings needed replacing, the tank was dented with bad touchup done, a hole in the seat, and welding done to repair damage to stock mufflers. That was just what I could easily see, so I passed on it. I'm still looking for a hawk, but I'm keeping my eyes open for something else as well.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
You should also try Sportbike.net, they have a for sale area also. I am on both and you get a feel of all the bikes, not just the SH. I have just owned my SH since October and I am getting more and more accustomed to the feel, and lovin' it.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Daddie O
After the first hawk owner flaked on me I kept looking for another. Well, I checked out the hawk that was 75 minutes away. He misrepresented it's condition. It had far more than a minor scratch on one fairing. Both fairings needed replacing, the tank was dented with bad touchup done, a hole in the seat, and welding done to repair damage to stock mufflers. That was just what I could easily see, so I passed on it. I'm still looking for a hawk, but I'm keeping my eyes open for something else as well.
I've been seeing a lot of that on CL. When I bought my daughters XR100 we went through several CL adds claiming great shape only to find that they were not. I just looked at a XR200 that the seller claimed was rebuilt but mint - used the term "frame off restoration" and from the blury pic it looked ok. Got there and there and found a frame poorly rattlecan painted (runs!) and a broken shock. Sucks to drive all the way out to see something that is not what your expecting.

Good luck on the Hawk hunting. I think when you find one you'll be glad you took the time to hunt it down
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
You could always buy one of the best known SuperHawks in the world:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=21952
Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
You could always buy one of the best known SuperHawks in the world:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=21952
+1 lazn, if I didn't already have my SH that one would be mine, oh yes, it would be mine. Wicked bike
Old 03-31-2010, 02:30 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy a Super Hawk, man. You will be happy. I totalled mine last October and have had to settle for a 600 inline four for the time being. It's a cool bike and after a day-long ride this weekend I'll know more about how my relationship with it is going to go. But I think another v-twin is in my future ibn the next couple years; if for nothing other than the sound!.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Squid

I'm actually gonna look at a Goldwing this weekend. Yeah a big fat cruiser. If I get it and see a blip on its radar screen that looks like a Superhawk I'll turn off the espresso machine and hit the auto wave button.