General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

backfiring issues on the hawk after pair system disabled...

Old 01-24-2006, 12:18 AM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
backfiring issues on the hawk after pair system disabled...

I posted about this awhile ago and never got an exact answer.... Here's the deal. Disabled the pair system by flipping the reads and putting them back on... Afterwards while maintaining 3k rpm I'd get backfires and the bike kinda shakes a little... Now my question is would this be caused from air leaking in still or a bad tune maybe? I'm gonna go ahead and get block off plates and completely remove it all. hopefully that fixes it but if it doesn't then what?? Reason I'm confused is cause it only does it at 3k rpm. When rolling through that band it's fine. But cruising at like 25 mph down main street which unfortunately puts me at about 3k rpm the superhawk is not happy....
Old 01-24-2006, 07:45 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Did your bike only start doing that after you disabled the PAIR system?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:48 AM
SuperBike

Re: backfiring issues on the hawk after pair system disabled

never did this before but it was never too happy with cruising 3k or below before i did the pair system disable. it'd sputter a little
Old 01-24-2006, 09:53 AM
SuperSport

Loco
I have found the PAIR system to become noticeable when you roll off the throttle, and not as much at constant RPM. My suggestion would be to install the block off plates, and then, if the problem persists, we can help figure it out here in the forums.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:16 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like the classic 3k lean stumble. Generally caued by the needle position in the carbs. Do you have a jet kit installed? The needles probably need to be raised. Try 1 notch (dropping the snap ring raises the needle) if you have a jet kit. A small washer installed under the "hat" on the stock needles apparently also helps. Others here who have shimmed the stock needles can help more with that.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:02 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Doesn't it seems like every post has the phrase "stumble at 3k" recently? Someone should move all these posts into the knowledge base section so it doesn't get beaten to death.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:06 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RCVTR";p=&quot
Sounds like the classic 3k lean stumble. Generally caued by the needle position in the carbs. Do you have a jet kit installed? The needles probably need to be raised. Try 1 notch (dropping the snap ring raises the needle) if you have a jet kit. A small washer installed under the "hat" on the stock needles apparently also helps. Others here who have shimmed the stock needles can help more with that.
ill have try that. It's supposed to have a "stage 3" jet kit installed. Like I said it was never happy at 3k rpm and disabling the pair I'll get an occasional muffled "poof" sound and the bike'll shake a little. when I say backfiring i don't mean the popping from the exhaust cause that's fine. Well then I guess the other question then is about the carb synching... get a tool or find someone to do it for me? the bike is currently 400 miles away from where I am at school. So I either ride it here or get someone to trailer it... I'm kinda hoping to get it trailered here... Cause then I can get the stuff done without risking issues while riding here
Old 09-10-2006, 12:07 AM
Back Marker

SillyHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
what exactly is the PAIR system...and where is it located? i think mine is removed but i dont know for sure because it still pops when i roll off the throttle. i have aftermarket pipes and a DYNO jet kit...
Old 09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Check out my site. I have a page on the description and removal of the PAIR system.